Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Hotel Reviews - Consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Folks-

There was an old thread, on this.. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ns-sydney.html

Hoping to hear of any updates

Any current feedback on FS vs Shangri LA? Has FS done any updates? Last time I was at SL was in 2010. FS way back in 2007.

Thanks for any new insights.
I'll be in SYD in 2 days (currently en route to Southern Ocean). Checking out both from the 5th thru the 9th. From what I understand, there are better 4* Hiltons than Sydney's Four Seasons. It's supposed to be a travesty and entirely unworthy of the FS title. No WOW factor whatsoever. Someone please correct me..

Not sure about the Shangri-La since I haven't been, but those whose opinion I respect say it's quite a good SL.

I'm actually looking forward to the Langham over any of them....Not everyone's first choice but I'm stoked.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:36 am

Hi Exec_Plat,

I stayed at the Shangri la 2 years ago, so maybe not recent enough for your purpose. Stayed in an executive grand harbour suite and loved it - very spacious. The rooms weren't outdated or anything from memory.

I'll be in Sydney 25th September for the weekend, and so still deciding on where to stay. Since we've already stayed at SL, wondering if it's worth checking out other hotels, although have no problems with staying at SL again. Would love to hear your thoughts pricesquire.

I'm currently tossing up between
-Shangri La
-Four Seasons
-Park Hyatt
-Intercontinental
-The Langham
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Go for the Park Hyatt. it's in a class by itself in Sydney.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:48 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by wripro
Go for the Park Hyatt. it's in a class by itself in Sydney.
Indeed, this hotel seems to be beloved by many.

Having not stayed at the FS, in Sydney, nor having visited this city so far, what's wrong with this hotel?

Looks like that Tripadvisor reviewers are somewhat more gentle with the FS Sydney. There has to be a reason why this is a Four Season hotel.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Although I haven't stayed there myself, I just researched this topic last week.

In general, Shangri-La wins because of bigger rooms. They have a great pool area too. Closer to the Rocks.

When comparing suites, the FS barely wins out. Closer to the Quay, which some feel is a better location. Depends on why you are in town and wanting to see.

Both are high rise properties with great views. Shangri-La typically gives Virtuoso guests (and most likely FHR) an upgrade at booking where FS is upon check in.

My Hyatt Diamond friends all prefer Shangri-La over FS. And the rates are really great right now for both properties.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
After the Regent changed to a FS I was there for a few trips.....and then the ANA turned into the Shangri La, I switched over. (Yes, quite a while ago, like 2003)

This trip I am traveling with a first timer, so the view is criteria #1, 2 and 3. Im dont feel the PH is worth the $ though.

I am assuming the FS has just continued to slide since prior reports.....

Thanks for the inputs.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
FS Sydney is poor. Shockingly so. Embarrassing actually.

We've had long discussions on this subject: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...roperties.html
This thread is probably best: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-hyatt-fs.html
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
FS Sydney is poor. Shockingly so. Embarrassing actually.

We've had long discussions on this subject: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...roperties.html
This thread is probably best: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-hyatt-fs.html
Thanks for the link, Mike. As that one is recent, I'm going to merge this thread into it.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:42 pm

I have stayed at both probably over the last 18 months - the Shangrila most recently for a week at the end of March. I don't think either hotel will excite anyone on this forum. Both hotels are perfectly fine as standard run of the mill hotels but there is nothing exceptional or memorable about them (perhaps other than the view from certain rooms). Four Seasons has better service.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Park Hyatt seems booked out for the dates I am looking at except for the bottom of the barrel room, so I am considering second tier options.

Which is better out of the Shangrila, Langham or Intercon ?

The Langham doesn't seem to have views and I am not sold on the decor. The Shangrila seems to have great views and even the suites are affordable (A$800 per night).

Thoughts ?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:40 pm

I haven't stayed at langham, but of the intercontinental and shangrila I would probably go with the suite at shangrila. I think it was a corner suite I had, sits right over the top of the bridge with views all the way from the bridge, over the opera house, to the ocean.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:06 am

I really like the IC - if you book through Virtuoso you get upgraded to a Club room with Club access. It's one of the best Club Lounges I've been in with fantastic views - in fact you can see the PH and it's rooftop pool - right under the Bridge - never anyone sitting up there which isn't surprising given how noisy it is there!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
in fact you can see the PH and it's rooftop pool - right under the Bridge - never anyone sitting up there which isn't surprising given how noisy it is there!
Years ago when I did the Bridge Climb I recall thinking "they must be happy with packs of grey suited tourists gawking over head every 20 minutes...."
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nizar
Park Hyatt seems booked out for the dates I am looking at except for the bottom of the barrel room, so I am considering second tier options.

Which is better out of the Shangrila, Langham or Intercon ?

The Langham doesn't seem to have views and I am not sold on the decor. The Shangrila seems to have great views and even the suites are affordable (A$800 per night).

Thoughts ?
The Langham pool is something to behold though.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by THEJOCK
I haven't stayed at langham, but of the intercontinental and shangrila I would probably go with the suite at shangrila. I think it was a corner suite I had, sits right over the top of the bridge with views all the way from the bridge, over the opera house, to the ocean.
Ok, here's the deal: I just got back from site inspections of every major SYD hotel.

Shangri-La isn't good. The suites are good for NO other reason than the opera house views. That said, the views are from behind the opera house - not profile/side views - so it takes a bit of the glam out of it.

IC: sucks, period. Double Bay is better.

Langham has GORGEOUS suites. I realize the decor isn't for everyone - it looks a bit like your grandma's house - but let me say this:

1. It looks 1000% better in person than in pictures (it was so good i moved from the SL to the Langham after night 1)

2. The suites have balconies and are beautiful.

3. It feels like a rich, London home.

4. Service is good (For Australia)

5. It's a warm, lovely, and friendly hotel.

So, for SYD, it's Park Hyatt (#1) or Langham (#2). That or don't even both staying at a lux hotel, as there are none.

Will post Langham pics ASAP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.