Blantyre?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:00 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Blantyre?

Hi guys,

Any recent stays at Blantyre in the Berkshires? We did a search but found little information about it. We're thinking about a relaxed weekend in August....child free. Our other option is to return to Twin Farms so this is indeed a tough decision.

Kind regards,

Ericka
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:13 pm

I have not stayed at Blantyre, but I tend to doubt that it would be a match for Twin Farms.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:59 pm

I haven't stayed overnight at Blantrye (we always chose the historic Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge) but I have visited. It's a beautiful property but it felt a bit stilted to me, just from the few minutes we spent inside before the front desk asked us to leave. The place was empty when we walked through, there was a pianist playing to a vacant parlor room. The grounds are lovely as is the view of the surrounding Berkshires from the back lawn and gardens but overall I felt that the place seemed far too pompous. I expressed interest in seeing one of the rooms as I mentioned that we were staying at the Red Lion but thinking of switching over for our remaining couple of nights and the staff (who spoke in a low whisper and made me feel as if we were inside of a library) flat out refused and suggested that I visit their website. How pretentious is that?? I was actually being honest with my inquiry too; I figured maybe we'd spend a night or two at the Blantyre as a special treat. They wouldn't even let us see the grounds or common areas. I can understand the desire to maintain a private environment but this is not some grand dame hotel in Italy where tourist traffic might spills in... it's an out-of-the-way destination off a small country road in rural Lenox, MA! Anyhow, I was pretty put-off by my interaction with the staff and I personally couldn't see it being worth the cost. This coming from someone who's never actually stayed there though, so take that for whatever it's worth. I'd gladly return to The Red Lion every time. Perhaps the staff at The Blantyre felt that was too far beneath them to consider me seriously. I will emphasize however, that it really is a very lovely property and I can imagine that autumn would be an especially beautiful time to visit.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:34 am
Suspended

Absolutely adore Blantyre. It's not for everyone, and it definitely has that old world/old American charm that many people are turned off from, but I think it may be one of the most well run properties in the country.

Ann, the owner, is lovely.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:17 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Well, I don't think we're looking for a match for Twin Farms. Sometimes we just like to try something new. And we've never been to the Berkshires.

As we look at this more seriously, we're realizing none of our preferred rooms at Twin Farms is available, anyway. We've just asked DavidO to do the booking for us at Blantyre. We'll report back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.