Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points or Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
All the points in the world don't do much good if you don't want to stay at any of the hotels in the chain on leisure, or if it takes 200 nights of stays to get enough points to stay for just a couple nights (e.g. St. Regis Bora Bora). I would stay at the better hotel every time. Points are kind of meaningless when it comes to hotels IMO--I almost always transfer them to airline points where I get real value. That is for SPG anyway. I would bet that other major western chains are similar. Shangri-La also requires so many nights stay that it would take you forever to earn free nights.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:23 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ridefar
All the points in the world don't do much good if you don't want to stay at any of the hotels in the chain on leisure, or if it takes 200 nights of stays to get enough points to stay for just a couple nights (e.g. St. Regis Bora Bora). I would stay at the better hotel every time. Points are kind of meaningless when it comes to hotels IMO--I almost always transfer them to airline points where I get real value. That is for SPG anyway. I would bet that other major western chains are similar. Shangri-La also requires so many nights stay that it would take you forever to earn free nights.
I heartily disagree, but to each, their own.

I most recently used 80k SPG points for 5 upcoming nights at the StR Punta Mita over Thanksgiving (starting room rate $1200+). I've used Hyatt points for 4 nights in a suite at the Park Hyatt Istanbul (starting room rate $650). Ive used Marriott points for 4 nights at the Ritz Carlton Moscow (when it cost $900 a night), and was upgraded to a junior suite due to my Marriott Gold status. I've used Hilton points for 3 nights at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago (starting room rate was $460). I'd wanted to visit there even when it was the Elysian). I've used SPG points for the Westin Vendome several times--and been upgraded to a suite or junior suite every time (starting room rates anywhere between $400-800). I've used SPG points for the StR Bal Harbour (starting room rate $800) and been upgraded to a suite. I've used SPG points for the StR San Francisco (starting room rate $600-900) and been upgraded to a junior suite or suite almost every time. I've used SPG points for the SLS Beverly Hills (starting room rate $450) and been upgraded to a junior suite. I've used SPG points for the StR Princeville Kauai (starting room rate $500) and I was upgraded to a suite. I plan to use SPG points for the Gritti Palace in Venice next year, and I expect I'll be upgraded to a junior suite or suite there, too. I plan to use Hyatt/Chase UR points for the Park Hyatt Vendome Paris next year.

That's a lot of free stays at some very nice hotels for no cost...and that doesn't even count the suite upgrades I've enjoyed. Just because I can't use my SPG points for a stay at the StR Bora Bora doesn't mean there isn't value to be had.

(In fact, I'll be staying at the StR BB in April 2016 on a paid stay...and I'll also be earning a ton of SPG points I can use at another SPG property or for premium airfare at some point in the future. The comparable room rate at the FS doesn't give me that, even as the FS is a comparably luxurious property, even if you slightly prefer the FS. But my "worthless" SPG Plat status also gives me a chance for an upgrade there just as much as my Virtuoso booking does, as well.)

I don't think that points always get me a great hotel...but they can sometimes get me a great hotel. For free. They have many times.

I also think points are useful for airline transfers for premium awards. Only SPG points can be very useful to do that of the hotel currencies.

So if you have to stay at hotels and still enjoy the point-earning luxury properties at places you visit or want to visit, there are opportunities to earn points for free stays at a number of great hotels.

That there may be "better hotels" in some of these same locations is not in doubt...but a free stay at a StR, Park Hyatt, Luxury Collection, or Ritz Carlton is almost always a better price/benefit for me than a paid expensive stay in a regular room at a FS, MO, Aman, Peninsula, etc. If nothing else, it allows me to stay longer in a destination I like...or have more money available to me to explore another destination that doesn't have the point-using luxury hotel options.

To each, their own, again. But having stayed at Pens, MOs, FS, and Amans, I know that there are plenty of great StR, PH, WA, and RC options where a free stay is comparable--if not superior, because of the money saved.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 26, 2015 at 7:40 pm
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I most recently used 80k SPG points for 5 upcoming nights at the StR Punta Mita over Thanksgiving (starting room rate $1200+). I've used Hyatt points for 4 nights in a suite at the Park Hyatt Istanbul (starting room rate $650). Ive used Marriott points for 4 nights at the Ritz Carlton Moscow (when it cost $900 a night), and was upgraded to a junior suite due to my Marriott Gold status. I've used Hilton points for 3 nights at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago (starting room rate was $460). I'd wanted to visit there even when it was the Elysian). I've used SPG points for the Westin Vendome several times--and been upgraded to a suite or junior suite every time (starting room rates anywhere between $400-800). I've used SPG points for the StR Bal Harbour (starting room rate $800) and been upgraded to a suite. I've used SPG points for the StR San Francisco (starting room rate $600-900) and been upgraded to a junior suite or suite almost every time. I've used SPG points for the SLS Beverly Hills (starting room rate $450) and been upgraded to a junior suite. I've used SPG points for the StR Princeville Kauai (starting room rate $500) and I was upgraded to a suite. I plan to use SPG points for the Gritti Palace in Venice next year, and I expect I'll be upgraded to a junior suite or suite there, too. I plan to use Hyatt/Chase UR points for the Park Hyatt Vendome Paris next year.

That's a lot of free stays at some very nice hotels for no cost...and that doesn't even count the suite upgrades I've enjoyed. Just because I can't use my SPG points for a stay at the StR Bora Bora doesn't mean there isn't value to be had.

(In fact, I'll be staying at the StR BB in April 2016 on a paid stay...and I'll also be earning a ton of SPG points I can use at another SPG property or for premium airfare at some point in the future. The comparable room rate at the FS doesn't give me that, even as the FS is a comparably luxurious property, even if you slightly prefer the FS. But my "worthless" SPG Plat status also gives me a chance for an upgrade there just as much as my Virtuoso booking does, as well.)

I don't think that points always get me a great hotel...but they can sometimes get me a great hotel. For free. They have many times.

I also think points are useful for airline transfers for premium awards. Only SPG points can be very useful to do that of the hotel currencies.

So if you have to stay at hotels and still enjoy the point-earning luxury properties at places you visit or want to visit, there are opportunities to earn points for free stays at a number of great hotels.

That there may be "better hotels" in some of these same locations is not in doubt...but a free stay at a StR, Park Hyatt, Luxury Collection, or Ritz Carlton is almost always a better price/benefit for me than a paid expensive stay in a regular room at a FS, MO, Aman, Peninsula, etc. If nothing else, it allows me to stay longer in a destination I like...or have more money available to me to explore another destination that doesn't have the point-using luxury hotel options.

To each, their own, again. But having stayed at Pens, MOs, FS, and Amans, I know that there are plenty of great StR, PH, WA, and RC options where a free stay is comparable--if not superior, because of the money saved.
Definitely agree with your assessment.. I like to save my paid stays for really really special properties. IF I can leverage a combination of suite upgrades or points for a free stay I will.. For instance, I've stayed at the PH Vienna, PH Shanghai, PH Chicago, PH DC all in confirmed suites using DSUs.... which is an invaluable benefit of Hyatt. I've gotten suites on award stays at StR/LC collection properties... all that has allowed me to save some money for my real aspirational trips: one where I'm really investing in the experience... Bali and Beyond with Aman will be a trip I never forget for instance....

FDW
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Very interesting question. Hotels are different than airlines for me in this regard. I'm in several hotel loyalty programs, but don't have status in any. ...
- Much of my travel is to silicon valley. The only 5* hotels in this area are FS EPA and Rosewood Sand Hill. Rosewood Sand Hill prefers to be a bar/cougar party...

- For the major cities: NYC, HK, Shanghai, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo -- I cannot imagine sacrificing 'points' for the 5* experience. SF, Seoul, Singapore could go either way since the 5* hotels aren't that good....
I agree, points can be a factor in my decision, particularly in locations where luxury offerings are weak and/or unsuitable for my purposes. I assume you meant that you cannot imagine sacrificing the luxury hotel experience for 'points', right?

By the way although it's OT I have to ask: what is your definition of 'cougar'? I have looked it up on urban dictionary, but was just wondering if cougars are necessarily older women in search of younger men? I have the impression that they are often on the prowl for affluent men (who may be the same age or older), but that is not the definition I find online, so I am a bit confused.

Thankfully I do not frequent such establishments, so I just had to ask about the term 'cougar'...

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 26, 2015 at 8:59 pm
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I assume you meant that you cannot imagine sacrificing the luxury hotel experience for 'points', right?
Yes. When it comes to hotels, I am not interested in points.

what is your definition of 'cougar'?
I use the term from the urban dictionary: cougar (NSF). You might want to look at puma and sabertooth also. And after that, watch this Saturday Night Live clip Cool Bar. This is where the term 'gerbil' came from. (NSF)

Recent article about the Rosewood Sand Hill: 'Cougar Night' Is Alive And Well At A Fancy Silicon Valley Hotel. Something that isn't obvious from the photo is that the place is so crowded that they have removed all of the chairs from the bar. The whole place is choked: complete gridlock. If you are a hotel guest, you either use valet or park very far away and hike.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jul 27, 2015 at 10:23 am
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I do it on a city by city basis weighing the points brand options vs. the ultra high end options. It's nice when they overlap but coming from a relative hotel wasteland like Korea definitely puts me into MO, SL, Pen, etc most often than not. Just a change of pace from the usual suspects at home.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:50 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I personally couldn't care less about spas or hotel food, so I never factor those into picking hotels. I do, however, factor location into picking hotels. The marginal return for a 4 vs 5 star hotel in China may not be noticeable, but the difference between a 4 vs 5 star hotel in the US can be heaven and earth (assuming there are 5 star hotels in the US). In Asia, I would much rather get a bigger room at a 4 star hotel than a basic room at a 5 star hotel. The opposite is true in the US and Europe.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin

It is an interesting perspective. The only 3 SPG properties that I haven't actually regretted spending my points at are W Istanbul (upgraded to Extreme Wow Suite--that was a good deal, I think it was going for 4000 euros a night at the time), St. R Bangkok and W Hong Kong. Lots of others are awful places -- like St. R Bali and St. R Princeville (one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at, but I have made that point before on this board, so no need to belabor it), and I regret staying there even for free. Stay where you want to first. Points don't change that math one iota for me any more. They mostly get transferred to airline points. With all due respect, I don't think there are very many places at all (Bali and China I guess) where you can choose between a PH, RC, or Aman. And while I like to save money as much as the next guy who can't afford to travel without a budget 6 months a year... I get 4 good weeks a year. I am not going to waste it in a mediocre hotel just for the sake of saving some $$$ or the points. Different perspectives I guess.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Similar to the opinions of others on here - I always book the luxury hotel at my corporate rate than try to add to a particular rewards program (in my case, hotels.com, as all my travel is leisure and I feel no allegiance to any given chain). If I can stay at a 5-star property for $150-200/night, there's no debate to be had about not accumulating a couple more nights/points.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:29 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by ridefar
It is an interesting perspective. The only 3 SPG properties that I haven't actually regretted spending my points at are W Istanbul (upgraded to Extreme Wow Suite--that was a good deal, I think it was going for 4000 euros a night at the time), St. R Bangkok and W Hong Kong.
I'm glad you had some nice experiences free of cost!

Lots of others are awful places -- like St. R Bali and St. R Princeville (one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at, but I have made that point before on this board, so no need to belabor it), and I regret staying there even for free.
I've not been to the StR Bali (we stayed at 4 of the 5 Aman properties while in Indonesia), but I was just at the StR Princeville in May 2014 and very much enjoyed it. Calling a luxury hotel with the best view in the state of Hawaii "one of the worst hotels" seems awfully hyperbolic.

Stay where you want to first. Points don't change that math one iota for me any more. They mostly get transferred to airline points. With all due respect, I don't think there are very many places at all (Bali and China I guess) where you can choose between a PH, RC, or Aman. And while I like to save money as much as the next guy who can't afford to travel without a budget 6 months a year... I get 4 good weeks a year. I am not going to waste it in a mediocre hotel just for the sake of saving some $$$ or the points. Different perspectives I guess.
Bolding mine. I understand that points don't change the math for you...but that doesn't mean that it should be or is true for everyone else.

Sometimes, I think people get carried away with rankings and/or the esteem of certain luxury hotels over others in the same way that people do with rankings of colleges/universities in the USA or judgments of automobiles or the like around the world. Most people rely on "what others think is best" instead of "what is best for me".

While certain hotels are possibly better, I'm not sure the margin of "how much better" is as significant as many want to pretend in most cases. The Aman Grand Canal in Venice very well may be the best in the city...but I doubt the Gritti Palace is substantially less amazing. If I can use SPG points to stay at the Gritti for free vs paying enormous sums for the Aman, I believe I will. I doubt whatever marginal service improvement may exist at the Aman over the Gritti (if any) will be worth the $1500 or more per night.

The fact that I can pay for a regular room at the Gritti with points or actual money and my SPG Plat status might get me upgraded to a suite is another huge value-add...compared to the tiny room one gets at the lowest rate at the Aman Grand Canal.

There are many cities in which the FS, Pen, MO, and Aman and independent luxe hotels may be the tops...but there are also usually "chain" luxe hotels like StR, Lux Collection, PH, and RC hotels that are suitably comparable in most ways that matter to most people. In some cities/locales, the StR or PH may even be better. I find that true in San Francisco, where I find the StR to be the best hotel in the city for me by a fair margin (I love SoMa). I found that true in Istanbul, where I far preferred the free Park Hyatt to the FS Bosphorus, though the FS Sultanahmet was lovely. On the other hand, I am not fond of the StR in NYC.

Aman wins for me when it's in a remote locale and offers something special...somewhere I can't find luxury otherwise. That's why we've been to 4 of the 5 Aman properties in Indonesia (before the StR Bali, btw), Amansara (even though there was a PH), Amantaka, Aman Summer Palace (most disappointing Aman for me and probably will try StR next time), Amangani, and Amangiri.

Aman Summer Palace was a mistake...as it doesn't work for me in a city. It isn't worth the value add for me. I can get comparable luxury at any of a half dozen other luxury hotels in Beijing. I think the same in Venice. I expect the same in Tokyo...and all of the new city hotels Aman has in mind.

There are many SPG luxury properties that are amazing. There are many SPG luxury properties that may not be amazing. But the fact that one might have SPG points or status and can leverage that for free stays at the luxury properties they want to enjoy is nothing to snicker at IMO.

If you prefer to spend the money, then by all means do so and avoid the "loyalty points" luxury hotels. But I think your writing off all "loyalty point" luxury hotels as "mediocre" is hyperbole without merit. That's more akin to the guy buying the Lamborghini when the Mercedes SLS will do just as well. Just because one can afford something doesn't mean that the more expensive option is the better one. Sometimes, the cheaper option is better. The StR Punta Mita over the FS Punta Mita is a perfect example--and I'll be staying for 5 nights for free at the StR PM this Thanksgiving.

I think some people, and I'm not saying you are among them, believe they are "better" or feel more "special" when they are at luxury hotels where one must pay and cannot use points: Aman, FS, MO, Pen, Connaught, Lanesborough, Ritz, etc. That has less to do with the quality of these luxe hotels versus other luxe hotels (or non-luxe hotels) and more to do with the insecurities and/or pretension of those individuals IMO.

As people who can afford to stay wherever we want, we still find value where we can while still trying to get luxury and great service and a location that works for us...and pick the places where we think we'll feel most comfortable. That isn't always the priciest or most prestigious or most "top-ranked" hotel in any locale...though sometimes it can be.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 28, 2015 at 9:36 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Points or Luxury?

Depends on the city and if you love the experience or see it only a place to sleep. for years I've given up points in London to stay at Firmdale hotels and now The Rosewood (use the spa, restaurant, room service, live jazz at bar, etc). I love interesting properties, offerings and good service.
I managed corporate travel and wrote the policies so love the answers above as so many travelers would choose points over luxury non points options. Why they pick Marriotts for points in London instead of The Rosewood I've never understood. go with the company suggestions as I'm sure the corp travel manager picked best options (locations, service, price) as I used to do
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Yes. When it comes to hotels, I am not interested in points.

I use the term from the urban dictionary: cougar (NSF). You might want to look at puma and sabertooth also. And after that, watch this Saturday Night Live clip Cool Bar. This is where the term 'gerbil' came from. (NSF)

Recent article about the Rosewood Sand Hill: 'Cougar Night' Is Alive And Well At A Fancy Silicon Valley Hotel. Something that isn't obvious from the photo is that the place is so crowded that they have removed all of the chairs from the bar. The whole place is choked: complete gridlock. If you are a hotel guest, you either use valet or park very far away and hike.
Thanks for the very informative (and humorous) definitions now I understand.

That Rosewood 'cougar' night sounds ghastly. No wonder you stay away from that hotel...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I always prefer a regular room at a true luxury hotel than a higher category at a 4-star property. Because it's not only a room, it's a complete package including location, service, public areas, pool, Spa, restaurants, etc.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:28 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I always prefer a regular room at a true luxury hotel than a higher category at a 4-star property. Because it's not only a room, it's a complete package including location, service, public areas, pool, Spa, restaurants, etc.
I prefer a nice room, sometimes a suite, in luxury hotel with great service and amenities in a location I prefer. If there's a view that matters to me, that is important--but that isn't always the case (especially in cities). I don't mind spending a lot to get what I want even for stays at Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, etc. And I only need a luxury hotel to have great restaurants/F&B if there aren't amazing restaurants in the vicinity.

That being said, if I can get the above for free using points, I'll take it--as I can with many St Regis, Luxury Collection, Park Hyatt, and Ritz Carlton properties. The other luxury options would have to be substantially better regarded/reviewed or better located before I wouldn't consider the free stay in a luxury hotel--and that isn't as common as many herein want to believe.

If I can get the above in an upgraded suite, I'd almost always take it for free. SPG Platinum status means I have a good chance for that free suite upgrade (even on points) at many St Regis and Luxury Collection properties. Chase UR points mean that I can double the points to get a free suite at many Park Hyatts. If the suite offers a true value add (better view, private plunge pool/spa, big terrace, etc), then I'd be thrilled to save the money and spend it on clothing and shoes.

FWIW, I could care less about spas. My husband loves them, but I'm a rare gay man who doesn't get it.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I do the same. When traveling on business I spend very little time in the hotel and really only care about the quality of the wifi connection and comfort of the bed. Most of the chains are fine on this count with their upscale properties, so I generally stay there and accrue the points (I'm mostly SPG so this means St Regis and W, sometimes Westin or Sheraton).

When traveling with my wife or family, we spend a lot more time in the hotel, so we'll go for the best hotel regardless of the loyalty program.

I basically get to have my cake and eat it too.
+1 on point oriented stays for work and non program luxury for personal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.