Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What hotels in the US have private pools?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What hotels in the US have private pools?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I've been to several properties with private "plunge pools." Every one offered the ability to set the temperature. The best ones contacted me in advance to ask what temp I'd like.

Where did you go where they were unwilling/unable to make changes?
The banyan tree mayakoba installed heaters in their private pools pretty recently. Before then only the three bedroom units were heated.

Most of the villas in st. Martin have pools hat are not heated.

Palm Springs house rentals appear to not be heated by default.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I've been to several properties with private "plunge pools." Every one offered the ability to set the temperature. The best ones contacted me in advance to ask what temp I'd like.

Where did you go where they were unwilling/unable to make changes?
I am basically the anthesis of bhrubin's air con requests, in that I only want a pool (I include pools, not just plunge pools in this) > 32 Celsius. Most like you set the temperature, but only up to high 20s; I want to feel like I'm getting into a warm bath, whereas most people want to feel cool. Yes, this may be unrealistic, especially in a large pool, but that's all I'm prepared to pay for now, so I always contact them to confirm before paying to upgrade.

So some recent places we've stayed where (to me) the pool felt freezing:
  • Huvafen Fushi - actually not bad, as it was so warm it was quite refreshing
  • Amanzoe - first time we visisted it was warm, yet they kept going on about health and safety and saying they cannot do it again. Now max they can do is 30, but it still feels very cold to me
  • Amanoi
  • Amanruya
  • Amandari + Amankila - this was REALLY cold.
  • Alila Villas, Ulutawu
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
One of the best posts I've ever seen on this forum. Not being sarcastic either.

All the time we talk about perks perks perks, a private plunge pool being one.

A freezing plunge pool - rendered inoperable - is one of the WORST let downs you could ever have at a lux hotel.
YES! FS Koh Samui private pool was freezing. I never once went in it. Disappointed.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I was mostly lucky with my private pools, also I didnt had one in the US so far.

Best was Banyan Tree Seychelles with a big one and a smaller Jaccuzzi (which was heated). At Al Mahe Dessert Resort the pool was also heated, not bad if you stay in "winter". Most useless pool was Raffles Praslin.....
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:00 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by juuceman
The banyan tree mayakoba installed heaters in their private pools pretty recently. Before then only the three bedroom units were heated.

Most of the villas in st. Martin have pools hat are not heated.

Palm Springs house rentals appear to not be heated by default.
any experience with the Banyan Tree's pools? i.e. are they routinely heated or do you have to ask.. thinking about early December but from what I understand highs are somewhere around 75-80 F....

FDW
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
any experience with the Banyan Tree's pools? i.e. are they routinely heated or do you have to ask.. thinking about early December but from what I understand highs are somewhere around 75-80 F....

FDW
Nothing recent, but I suggest making your preference clear when booking and then again through the concierge desk. Even if they don't follow through, my experience at the Rosewood Mayakoba was that it only takes a few hours to bump it up significantly.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I find mid-November through at least the end of February to be cold in Riviera Maya. The main issue is the north winds, so I prefer the non-ocean rooms at the Mayakoba Resorts and NIZUC for these months because you can escape it.

Clearly, I am not a native New Englander. Most people here wouldn't agree with my assessment of the temperature

Regardless, all but the lowest room category at Banyan Tree also have hot tubs which is nice. I can't speak to the current heat situation of the pools.

We stayed once and have never returned, even though we go to the area once or twice a year.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:25 pm

Heated pools...my favorite topic.

In Mayakoba both the Rosewood and Banyan Tree pools can be heated up to super high temps. When I was last at the BT in March 2014, all the pools at the resort were heated except in the 3br townhouses and the entry level room (I think they said the plan was to get everything heated eventually, so there may be more options now). We always stay in the Sanctuary villa, which has a huge heated pool and a hot tub. I am hoping they get the townhouses heated soon, as those villas are just perfect for families (unlike the other villas, the pool is on the roof and inaccessible to kids wandering around on their own).

For another US option (sort of), there is the Ritz Reserve Dorado Beach - their pools get up to around 82 degrees (if I recall correctly), which is not quite hot enough for me but fine for my husband and kids.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
The W Sobe bungalows have a private plunge pool.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i dont really understand how unheated pools heat up

british virgin islands - pools i experienced were very warm in summer, warmer than some indoor heated pools ive experienced

riviera maya area - similar latitude to BVI. i presume most are discussing seasons besides (hotter) low season / summer, as some have discussed in their posts. i traveled to BVI/scottsdale during low season, and will do so for deals/etc.

scottsdale - i had no problem with pools in low season. i think body temp (from temps up to 115/46) and pools were not 'cold' at all, but not warm / very warm like BVI. (was interesting i had no problem at all with high temperatures in scottsdale, because of zero humidity. was like a sauna, which i prefer to walking around in 'steamroom' - 100/38 + 100% humidity - weather.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 25, 2015 at 4:32 pm
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:35 pm

La quinta WA in palm spring area at about 1k IIRC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.