Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 weeks in Northern Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Poster

2 weeks in Northern Italy

I am flying into Milan for 2 weeks at the end of august. We took advantage of emirates fare sale as I have always wanted to check out biz class on its A380. We will have our 9 month old baby with us. I am looking for any advice on where to go and where to stay. We are sort of thinking that we do a week plus in tuscany, and then split 5 or 6 days between Lake Garda and Lake Como. We would like to rent a car in milan and drive to all of these places. We tend to like more luxurious accommodations and would def prefer somewhere with AC, as I hear some places do not have it, and I expect August to be quite hot. Does anyone have any hotel or town recs? Some places we are initially targeting are BORGO SANTO PIETRO, Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco, Villa Bordoni, Viilla D'Este, L'Andana, Grand Hotel Tremezzo, Castello Banfi Il Borgo, Hotelito Lupaia.

We would also be open to seaside towns or wherever. Thanks for any help!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by neuman101
I am flying into Milan for 2 weeks at the end of august. We took advantage of emirates fare sale as I have always wanted to check out biz class on its A380. We will have our 9 month old baby with us. I am looking for any advice on where to go and where to stay. We are sort of thinking that we do a week plus in tuscany, and then split 5 or 6 days between Lake Garda and Lake Como. We would like to rent a car in milan and drive to all of these places. We tend to like more luxurious accommodations and would def prefer somewhere with AC, as I hear some places do not have it, and I expect August to be quite hot. Does anyone have any hotel or town recs? Some places we are initially targeting are BORGO SANTO PIETRO, Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco, Villa Bordoni, Viilla D'Este, L'Andana, Grand Hotel Tremezzo, Castello Banfi Il Borgo, Hotelito Lupaia.

We would also be open to seaside towns or wherever. Thanks for any help!
Keep in mind that, not only is August a busy time...but it's vacation time for nearly all of Italy. That means high rates and higher occupancy. You're elbowing not just your favorite American/Euro tourists, but all of Italy
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I hear amazing things about Villa Feltrinelli on Lake Garda.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

feltrinelli (garda)

too funny Valveking
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Although I have not been to that area and cannot speak personally for recommendations, I have traveled with my baby, who was 10 months at the time. It is a great age to go abroad with a family! If you haven't traveled with the little one yet, keep in mind less is better. It sounds like you plan on longer stays, which is good. I did one trip in which we did 3-5 nights at each place and another trip where we only stayed 2. The one with 2 night stays did not go as well as the other.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:38 pm
BLV

I'm going to be staying at Villa d'Este in May. Last visit was 9 years ago and I'm looking forward to returning. I'm also thinking of spending a night or two in Milan and can't decide between Park Hyatt & Armani, if anyone cares to chime in (and I hope it's ok with OP).
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Keep in mind that, not only is August a busy time...but it's vacation time for nearly all of Italy. That means high rates and higher occupancy. You're elbowing not just your favorite American/Euro tourists, but all of Italy
That was my first thought, although it may not help the OP. Delaying this trip by just a few weeks would make all the difference. After doing it once, I never ever go to Italy in the summertime.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pricesquire
im aware of the fact august is the most popular time but i have two free weeks off of work, so thats life. We are open to going to places off the beaten path if such places exist.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:41 pm
BLV

I've been doing Italy end of August every year for past 10 years and love it
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:00 pm
Suspended

im aware of the fact august is the most popular time but i have two free weeks off of work, so thats life. We are open to going to places off the beaten path if such places exist.
I was in the same boat when I went last August and it was still great.....more of a "plan sooner" kind of statement, wasn't saying "don't go"
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by BLV
I'm also thinking of spending a night or two in Milan and can't decide between Park Hyatt & Armani, if anyone cares to chime in (and I hope it's ok with OP).
I love the Park Hyatt. I deliberately allow a night in Milan in order to stay here. Rooms are comfortable and the concierge team is impeccable. It has the perfect location between the Duomo and La Scala adjacent to Galleria Vittorio Emanuele. There is a small set of tables on the sidewalk facing the Galleria where I love to sit and watch the fashionable Milanese stroll by. There is a lengthy property thread in the Hyatt forum.

I have not stayed at Armani so am unable to compare.

I spent a week in northern Italy from Venice to Milan last August. I feared tourist hordes but it was fine.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:35 pm

Venice?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:25 pm

We spent a day in and around Bardolino last August. While it was more Germans and Scandinavians than it was Italian, it still had a pleasant / summery / beachy attitude. We put it on the list for a potential future visit.

We stayed at Villa Cordevigo only one night, but wished we had spent a couple more nights here. Really a fantastic property.

I include the TA link as I don't think it has been referenced on FT.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...na_Veneto.html
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:52 am
BLV

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I love the Park Hyatt. I deliberately allow a night in Milan in order to stay here. Rooms are comfortable and the concierge team is impeccable. It has the perfect location between the Duomo and La Scala adjacent to Galleria Vittorio Emanuele. There is a small set of tables on the sidewalk facing the Galleria where I love to sit and watch the fashionable Milanese stroll by. There is a lengthy property thread in the Hyatt forum.

I have not stayed at Armani so am unable to compare.

I spent a week in northern Italy from Venice to Milan last August. I feared tourist hordes but it was fine.
Thanks, SK! I actually have PH reserved as I'm usually a fan, plus I really like the views over Duomo in some traveler photos. But the decor is somewhat one I'm used to, so that's why I also started looking into Armani.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLV
Thanks, SK! I actually have PH reserved as I'm usually a fan, plus I really like the views over Duomo in some traveler photos. But the decor is somewhat one I'm used to, so that's why I also started looking into Armani.
Does anyone have any reviews for the Casteloo di Casole?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.