Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Carlton Antananarivo & Anjajavy L'Hotel (Madagascar)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: Carlton Antananarivo & Anjajavy L'Hotel (Madagascar)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 8:28 am

Thanks so much for sharing! It seems wonderful. Getting there seems rather a challenge. If you don't mind my asking, how much were the flights to the property?
Old May 19, 2015, 8:40 am

Smile

Thanks for sharing! The beach property looks special. The challenge seems to be getting there. If you don't mind my asking, how much were the tickets?
Old May 19, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: BA BD SA
The rate is given on the web site as 625 Euro return per person.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:12 pm

Thanks Cheetha_SA for replying to my question!

When you say website, do you mean Flyertalk.com or the hotel website?

Is 625 euros for the flights from Johannesburg to the property? Per person? Is an overnight en route always necessary? Each way?
Old May 19, 2015, 12:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by blueskie
Thanks so much for sharing! It seems wonderful. Getting there seems rather a challenge. If you don't mind my asking, how much were the flights to the property?
3660 euros roundtrip for 2 pax for the charter flights. It was a fairly easy 2 hr flight both ways. Considering the distance, we felt the rate wasn't unreasonable.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:53 am

That's very helpful, thanks!
Old May 22, 2015, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by blueskie
Thanks Cheetha_SA for replying to my question!

When you say website, do you mean Flyertalk.com or the hotel website?

Is 625 euros for the flights from Johannesburg to the property? Per person? Is an overnight en route always necessary? Each way?
That price is per person as per the hotel's web site and it's for the flights from Tana to Anjajavy. The 3+ hour flight from JNB to Tana is entirely separate. Because the scheduled flights to Anjajavy leave very early (7am) it isn't possible to avoid an overnight stay in Tana.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
3660 euros roundtrip for 2 pax for the charter flights. It was a fairly easy 2 hr flight both ways. Considering the distance, we felt the rate wasn't unreasonable.
Did you choose to fly at a time other than the scheduled flights (which are limited to 3 days a week, I know) and hence have to pay for the full charter? I wonder then if you had any choice about timing and whether that could obviate the need for an overnight stay?

That's not a bad idea anyway: one of the craft they fly has a horrible seat in the back with no windows. An arriving guest joked good-naturedly that she had been put into the boot (trunk). Not sure I would have been as equable about it. I was fascinated by the landscape en route and would hate to have been denied a view of it.

We were fortunate to arrive in a Cessna Caravan which is comparatively spacious and were the only pax on our departing flight (which was the one with the dreaded windowless cubby hole).
Old May 22, 2015, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
That price is per person as per the hotel's web site and it's for the flights from Tana to Anjajavy. The 3+ hour flight from JNB to Tana is entirely separate. Because the scheduled flights to Anjajavy leave very early (7am) it isn't possible to avoid an overnight stay in Tana.

Did you choose to fly at a time other than the scheduled flights (which are limited to 3 days a week, I know) and hence have to pay for the full charter? I wonder then if you had any choice about timing and whether that could obviate the need for an overnight stay?

That's not a bad idea anyway: one of the craft they fly has a horrible seat in the back with no windows. An arriving guest joked good-naturedly that she had been put into the boot (trunk). Not sure I would have been as equable about it. I was fascinated by the landscape en route and would hate to have been denied a view of it.

We were fortunate to arrive in a Cessna Caravan which is comparatively spacious and were the only pax on our departing flight (which was the one with the dreaded windowless cubby hole).
Maybe I looked at the wrong invoice charge. I did think it seemed higher than I remembered! But if the hotel website has 625 euro per person return, then that must be what we paid. We did the normal charter, not anything special. The flight up was in a smaller plane seating 6 (with 4 guests and pilot), and the return was in a larger plane seating maybe 12-14 (with 8 guests and a pilot and co-pilot as I recall).
Old May 25, 2015, 9:31 am

Well 625 euros pp is a lot more affordable and in synch with the hotel rates. The overnight in Tara less appealing...
Old May 25, 2015, 9:30 pm

Such a wonderful report and the lemurs!!^^
Any idea if there are any luxury operators in Madagascar? Another draw for me are those unworldly Baobab trees, just wondering if there any nice properties as base for exploration?
Old May 26, 2015, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by halibahs
Any idea if there are any luxury operators in Madagascar? Another draw for me are those unworldly Baobab trees, just wondering if there any nice properties as base for exploration?
Touring in Madagascar is problematic is many ways. The interesting places are far flung and the infrastructure ranges from poor to dire. There are a couple of very nice properties but getting to them is quite hard work. Some of the best places to see certain species of wildlife only offer pretty basic hotels and require tedious road journeys to get there.

We had a private vehicle with guide and driver for our visit to the eastern wildlife reserves. So we travelled in as much comfort as was possible but it still felt arduous at times. Further afield it gets much more so, I am told by friends who have travelled there extensively.

This is not to discourage anyone from visiting. Far from it: Madagascar is truly unique and worth any hardships. But glamorous it is not - outside of the cocoon of a few havens like Anjajavy .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.