Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Recent Singita experiences? (South Africa)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Singita experiences? (South Africa)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Originally Posted by floridagal23
Boulders and Lebombo didn't work for our preferred dates, unfortunately - I very much liked the look of Boulders but since Ebony will be newly renovated, am excited to check it out.
I wouldnt sweat it. While i loved the decor of boulders/lebombo, 95% of your trip will be dictated by the game viewing--i.e. Id sleep in a tent for a great game drive vs staying in the nicest room with a mediocre drive and as discussed you see the same things at ebony as at boulders, same woth lebombo. If you want, you could always ask in between your morning and afternoon drives to be driven to the adjoining lodge to do drinks/check out the decor
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:16 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We loved Ebony. The classic/colonial decor really suited us....Out of Africa. I'm looking forward to hearing about the refurb.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by DrGiggles
I wouldnt sweat it. While i loved the decor of boulders/lebombo, 95% of your trip will be dictated by the game viewing--i.e. Id sleep in a tent for a great game drive vs staying in the nicest room with a mediocre drive and as discussed you see the same things at ebony as at boulders, same woth lebombo. If you want, you could always ask in between your morning and afternoon drives to be driven to the adjoining lodge to do drinks/check out the decor
Thanks. We might take a drive over to Boulders for the wine one evening but we're excited to stay at Ebony, especially with a refurb!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ericka
We loved Ebony. The classic/colonial decor really suited us....Out of Africa. I'm looking forward to hearing about the refurb.
Ericka, I will gladly post a review - look for it mid-September. I always enjoy your trip reports so I'm happy to share!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:19 am
Original Poster

I just have a few (ok, many) follow up questions about the Singita experience.

1. Does anyone have any packing tips or recs for must bring items?

2. It seems from friends who are there now at boulders that they provide singita baseball caps and snuggies. Are the caps sufficient or do I need an actual hat? Mr. Floridagal has a hat already.

3. We are going in early Sept. Will a fleece be sufficient for early morning drives along with their snuggie and hot water bottles we have heard they provide? Are the snuggies reused between guests (washed in between, I hope) or new snuggies for us to keep? I assume they are one size fits all?

4. Should we be prepared to bring a small backpack or bag on game drives or will that be out of place/make our row of the vehicle crowded? Do most people bring a bag or camera bag on the actual drive?

5. What do you do with your passport, credit cards, etc. during the stay - locked in in-room safe? Does the main lodge have an actual main safe or do we keep everything in room in a safe or in our locked bags?

6. Do we need to be "dressed up" for meals? It seems as though some people go to dinner or brunch/lunch directly from drives and some shower and go later.

7. We are staying at Sweni and Ebony. Some people have mentioned requesting to stay in certain parts of the lodge, like farther from the restaurant but closer to water sources. Any more tips for either lodge? Should we just make any requests to booking when we turn in our guest preference sheet?

8. When is the best time of day to arrange any spa services? We have some included treatments as part of FHR amenities. Are there activities for the entire mid-day in the break between drives or is that resting time? Are spa services available in the evening?

9. I have heard that people have had private romantic dinners with candles, etc., wine tastings, etc. all arranged by the butler. We aren't really going for any special occasion but would like to partake in any special experiences to the extent possible. How do these things come about/get arranged?

10. Anything else we can do to maximize the singita/safari experience? What special singita experiences have you had?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:47 pm

I just have a few (ok, many) follow up questions about the Singita experience.

1. Does anyone have any packing tips or recs for must bring items?

2. It seems from friends who are there now at boulders that they provide singita baseball caps and snuggies. Are the caps sufficient or do I need an actual hat? Mr. Floridagal has a hat already.

3. We are going in early Sept. Will a fleece be sufficient for early morning drives along with their snuggie and hot water bottles we have heard they provide? Are the snuggies reused between guests (washed in between, I hope) or new snuggies for us to keep? I assume they are one size fits all?

4. Should we be prepared to bring a small backpack or bag on game drives or will that be out of place/make our row of the vehicle crowded? Do most people bring a bag or camera bag on the actual drive?

5. What do you do with your passport, credit cards, etc. during the stay - locked in in-room safe? Does the main lodge have an actual main safe or do we keep everything in room in a safe or in our locked bags?

6. Do we need to be "dressed up" for meals? It seems as though some people go to dinner or brunch/lunch directly from drives and some shower and go later.

7. We are staying at Sweni and Ebony. Some people have mentioned requesting to stay in certain parts of the lodge, like farther from the restaurant but closer to water sources. Any more tips for either lodge? Should we just make any requests to booking when we turn in our guest preference sheet?

8. When is the best time of day to arrange any spa services? We have some included treatments as part of FHR amenities. Are there activities for the entire mid-day in the break between drives or is that resting time? Are spa services available in the evening?

9. I have heard that people have had private romantic dinners with candles, etc., wine tastings, etc. all arranged by the butler. We aren't really going for any special occasion but would like to partake in any special experiences to the extent possible. How do these things come about/get arranged?

10. Anything else we can do to maximize the singita/safari experience? What special singita experiences have you had?

Many thanks!

1) Good binoculars to appreciate birds, etc

2) The best hat for a safari actually has a brim that goes all the way around to protect the back of your neck, too.

3) We went at the same time of year and it got cold to hot pretty quickly. We wore zip off pants and layering tops so that we could strip off to just shorts and a t shirt at any moment. But we also used the blankets provided by Singita and had our own hats, gloves and scarves, too. You'll appreciate them in the early morning in that open vehicle. Sorry, no experience with snuggies.

4) We had a backpack as did most people. You'll need one for the clothing layers, sunscreen, camera gear, binoculars, etc.

6) We wore the zip off pants to dinner with a pretty sweater, polo shirt, scarf. Just basically dressed the pants up a bit. You can't pack much on safari.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
1) pack less than you think you need. complementary laundry and no need to be dressed up. Would echo binoculars. You can rent online for reasonable rates. Ms. Giggles would recommend bringing moisturizer--if its their winter the air is pretty dry and driving around in an open-top vehicle doesn't help either.

2) the baseball cap must be a new thing. I brought a light beanie. They have snuggies as well as heavyweight blankets + hot water bottles. I noticed the snuggies sometimes had a funky odor so I generally didn't use mine. in addition to the brimmed hat, you may want to consider getting a handkerchief or gaiter if dust bothers you.

3) i'd say a thermal base layer + fleece should be sufficient. you only get really cold for 2 hours or so and by 10-11am, you will be stripping layers.

4) You can bring a bag on the game drive. I'd say that's the norm and there's plenty of space.

5) i used in-room safe.

6) no need to be dressed up. yes you have the option of eating immediately after your drive or showering etc. before eating.

8) between game drives. If i recall i think you have options like archery in between the drives but i never availed myself of that option. i think most eat and rest in between.

9) news to me. curious what you hear on this

10) cross your fingers and hope for some good wildlife activity (and for compatible jeep-mates).
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:46 am

6) no need to be dressed up. yes you have the option of eating immediately after your drive or showering etc. before eating.
This is a nice option. We'd always attend the formal dinner/set time which was lovely....but awful because we'd be so exhausted and all we wanted to do was go to bed because we knew that wake up call was going to come early!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Many thanks to Ericka and Dr. Giggles for your very helpful tips. We'll be picking up some very lightweight backpacks and fleeces/layers, too.

I do hope we have compatible jeep-mates - we get along with everyone but hope they try to pair us with compatible/similar folks to the extent possible. I assume that if there is really an issue they can work out a solution.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Many thanks to Ericka and Dr. Giggles for your very helpful tips. We'll be picking up some very lightweight backpacks and fleeces/layers, too.

I do hope we have compatible jeep-mates - we get along with everyone but hope they try to pair us with compatible/similar folks to the extent possible. I assume that if there is really an issue they can work out a solution.
I'd be pro active on this one - we didn't and were paired in lebombo with some honeymooners of a similar age to us (late 20s) also on their first trip and had a great time - then at boulders we ended up with a group of four friends in their 60s on their 15th singita experience and it was pretty tedious to be honest - we just had very little in common. Not sure how much singita can do on this but it can't hurt to ask
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:19 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
I'd highly recommend that you pay for a private driver/guide for your game drives. I'd say it will have the biggest (positive) impact on your overall safari experience.

Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Oh no, now I am nervous. I think that we will be fine being paired with others as long as their prior safari experience doesn't monopolize or really impact our first-time experience. I would hope that our jeep-mates will be respectful of our safari experience just as we will be respectful of theirs.

I know many Singita travelers are repeat visitors (PaulJeff - you might have gotten stuck with family friends of ours if they were from Florida!), so I think we might just make a note when giving them our preferences that if possible we would like to be paired with people who have not yet been on safari and/or people close in age to us (early 30s, no kids) - if possible. It can't hurt.

I did look into getting a private driver for part of the time. At a cost of approx 3000 USD per day to stay at Singita (though the Amex FHR rate was less, and we got a night free, but still, it adds up and it is a big trip for many guests, I would think), it is seems foolish to have to pay for our own driver in addition - I just looked and it is around $630/day.

Someone I know is at Boulders now and they did not pay for a private vehicle but have one anyway (honeymoon) so maybe we will get lucky! If not, I would hope that the lodge would be able to arrange for a different vehicle and at worst we are staying at 2 different lodges so the next one will hopefully be better.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pack less than you think you need. complementary laundry and no need to be dressed up
agree with all of that - free laundry and not dressing up helps
(i have experienced this elsewhere, havent done a safari yet)

Would echo binoculars. You can rent online for reasonable rates.
is singita one of the safari companies that provides cameras? i cant recall. sounds like they dont provide binoculars.

do they always have the staff to provide private vehicles?

doesnt help couples, but interesting >
http://singita.com/sweni-lodge/files...-2015-Rack.pdf
Families of 4 or more members (including at least 1 child under the age of 10) are guaranteed the complimentary use of a private safari vehicle.

supplement of 25% of the adult rate will be added from the third single room onwards.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 9, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:02 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
It would be far-fetched for you to expect your jeep-mates to have the exact same experience and interests that you do.

On our very first safari, we wanted to get a little taste of everything, but were paired with veterans who were their specifically to get the "money shot" of cheetahs and lions chasing down prey. They wanted the driver to locate them, and were willing to sit quite for hours in the hopes of witnessing an epic chase.

The simple fact that one needs to be mindful of others (especially in the case of shared game drivers) is, by my definition, the opposite of luxury.

P.S. - while staying at the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, we lucked out and had a driver/guide to ourselves (even though it was supposed to be shared), but you can't count on it. And having to share is a real bummer, IMO.

Oh no, now I am nervous. I think that we will be fine being paired with others as long as their prior safari experience doesn't monopolize or really impact our first-time experience. I would hope that our jeep-mates will be respectful of our safari experience just as we will be respectful of theirs.

I know many Singita travelers are repeat visitors (PaulJeff - you might have gotten stuck with family friends of ours if they were from Florida!), so I think we might just make a note when giving them our preferences that if possible we would like to be paired with people who have not yet been on safari and/or people close in age to us (early 30s, no kids) - if possible. It can't hurt.

I did look into getting a private driver for part of the time. At a cost of approx 3000 USD per day to stay at Singita (though the Amex FHR rate was less, and we got a night free, but still, it adds up and it is a big trip for many guests, I would think), it is seems foolish to have to pay for our own driver in addition - I just looked and it is around $630/day.

Someone I know is at Boulders now and they did not pay for a private vehicle but have one anyway (honeymoon) so maybe we will get lucky! If not, I would hope that the lodge would be able to arrange for a different vehicle and at worst we are staying at 2 different lodges so the next one will hopefully be better.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

I have heard mixed things as to whether some binoculars are provided but we are borrowing a set from my parents anyway to be on the safe side.

We'll stick with our shared jeep for now and sleep on it. I'm not so sure that a private vehicle is the best use of our money - maybe for 1 day in Sabi Sands, but certainly not the full trip.

We've always enjoyed meeting others in our travels and I am sure that being paired with safari veterans would be just fine as long as the driver/tracker is cognizant of everyone's viewing wish list. We are pretty easy going but in the case of KI-NRT, it sounds as though your very specific veteran jeep-mates should have gone with their own vehicle!

Anyway, perhaps instead of requesting that we be paired with new safari-goers, we should simply just note that it is our first safari and we are interested in viewing the Big 5 as a start. They did ask if we had an interest in bird viewing, so perhaps it is not out of the norm for them to try to group guests somehow.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.