Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Marbella Club vs. Finca Cortesin (vicinity of Malaga, Spain)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Any thoughts on the two? Any other really nice places to consider in the neighborhood?

TIA
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:10 am

my opinion would be combine them both, hard to compare as they are very different. Marbella club has better location but older property and much larger... finca is small, exclusive, quiet but has a hillside location. Amenities are same, finca has better food and amazing 50 meter pools (2).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

I think someone edited my subject. Thanks for clarifying that

BaumeMercier - I think it's one or the other for us. We may do something in Europe and would like to spend maybe 5 days by the beach. We've been to Cannes and MC and I think my wife doesn't like the idea of Amalfi Coast (hotels on a cliff).

The beach clubs look like a nice alternative. Are the beach clubs at similar? One much better?

We may like the smaller hotel, but I'd be curious about the price difference. I wouldn't put a huge premium on being smaller.

Are there other beach resort type places in Europe to consider (not a hotel on a cliff!)? Sorry to say that the Amans are out of our price range.

How is Villa Vita Parc? The pictures didn't look great when we looked last year. The pricing is a little better however.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:14 pm

Although the Marbella Club stretches to the beach, none of their rooms are ocean view. Just an FYI.

The same goes for all (or all that I know of) in Marbella itself. It's not nearly what you would want from a truly luxury hotel, but the Marriott Vacation Club has ocean front/view rooms and nearly all the rooms at the Kempinski in Estepona are direct ocean front.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by BaumeMercier
my opinion would be combine them both, hard to compare as they are very different. Marbella club has better location but older property and much larger... finca is small, exclusive, quiet but has a hillside location. Amenities are same, finca has better food and amazing 50 meter pools (2).
Finca Cortesin is leagues ahead of anything else I have found in the region. It also has its own beach club (with a 3rd full-size pool), very good service and uninterrupted sea views. No contest.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Has anyone actually been to the Kempinski? I'm sure it's not in the same league in terms of luxury (compared to Marbella Club and Finca Cortesin), but surely it must be pretty good? Price is less of course.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by farbster
Has anyone actually been to the Kempinski? I'm sure it's not in the same league in terms of luxury (compared to Marbella Club and Finca Cortesin), but surely it must be pretty good? Price is less of course.
Been there four times actually, going back to the first in 2003 and most recently last year. It's not a Four Seasons or an Aman, but they have most of the luxury trappings. It just doesn't "feel" right as far as a true luxury hotel should be. Examples are the front desk staff are definitely more interested in rules than guests, many of the restaurant staff do not speak English and more than once were actually very rude (even when speaking with them in Spanish). Compared to what people in this forum would expect from a luxury hotel, with the exception of an expansive and very good breakfast buffet, the food in general is not spectacular at all.

The rooms though, the ocean front rooms and suites, are priceless if you want a beautiful balcony to listen to nothing but soothing waves lapping up on the beach. I'm not completely sure but don't think any of the luxury hotels in Marbella have those rooms, with the exception of some extremely over-priced suites.

The grounds at the Kempinski are also spectacular. It really is a shame they can't get the staff and the food to true luxury standards because the hotel itself is a hidden gem.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Any thoughts on the two? Any other really nice places to consider in the neighborhood?

TIA
Just back for 5 nights at the Marbella Club. As mentioned previously no Ocean Views from any room, but we got a wonderful upgrade from a deluxe room to a junior suite. Bathrooms were enormous and had toiletries that my wife enjoyed - but I can't remember.

Breakfast was ample if a bit pedestrian. Didn't dine onsite for any other meals, though we did do a lovely tasting menu at Dani Garcia in the Puente Romano a short walk from the Marbella Club.

We did have a night in their Champagne Bar - which is a wonderful throwback to the early 80's in decor. It was quite empty the night we went (it's still quite low season there) but the champagne selection was excellent and not outrageously priced.

Service was substantially above average - except for housekeeping which was a little hit and miss. It was just warm enough to hang out around the heated salt-water pool at the beach club. Both pool lounger and beverage service was excellent.

The concierge in particular was excellent - both on dining recommendations (at all price/service points) as well as arranging outings and shopping experiences.

The Spa was quite good as well. If you book through Virtuoso, a 40 minute hydrotherapy session is included - quite enjoyable as were the massages.

Another perk of the Virtuoso booking is a free round of golf everyday including transfers to and from - which unfortunately I did not take advantage of, as we were traveling with my parents.
If you'd like any more specifics, feel free to PM.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update! Appreciate everyone's help.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Had a very good experience at Los Monteros a number of years bake. They did go through reorganization in financial crisis, but I understand back up and running.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:57 am

Vila Vita Parc is a good alternative, without a doubt. Beats Kempinski in Costa del Sol by miles! Great for kids and great for those looking for an escape actually because the resort is rather large and just have to plan which room type you want.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by BaumeMercier
Vila Vita Parc is a good alternative, without a doubt. Beats Kempinski in Costa del Sol by miles! Great for kids and great for those looking for an escape actually because the resort is rather large and just have to plan which room type you want.
Agree! I love Vila Vita Parc in the Algarve. Although it appears to be a large resort from the website, it actually feels very intimate as the rooms and suites are scattered across various very different low-rise buildings. They also have a huge choice of superb restaurants, from Michelin to fresh fish on the beach. I also really like their sandy beach - a rarity it Europe. There is also a second beach around 5 minute's shuttle away where the fish restaurant is. Surprisingly, the resort works really well for both couples and families.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Marbella Club

Hi, I hope I can help as I have been to all 3 LHW in marbella;

In order of preference :
1.Marbella Club - best night's sleep, fabulous chic modern rooms, the room i had opened up onto the lawn and you could stroll over to the pool- (the top pool) Top top gourmet restaurant. beautiful garden.

2.Puente Romano - lovely big rooms, ask for refurbished as the bathrooms in the unrefurbished are very "spanish colourful". Beach club is exceptional here with a lovely live band. Massive tropical gardens

(you can walk between these 2 hotels, they are really close)

3. Kempinksi - lovely hotel and can be exceptional value but it is definitely my least favourite

I have reviewed all 3 on my blog with photos (just search by destination) - you wont go wrong with the marbella club.

Finca is abit inland, no evening walks along the beach here.. I prefer the M Club! pm me if you have any specicif questions
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by jantaoYVR
Just back for 5 nights at the Marbella Club. As mentioned previously no Ocean Views from any room, but we got a wonderful upgrade from a deluxe room to a junior suite. Bathrooms were enormous and had toiletries that my wife enjoyed - but I can't remember.

Breakfast was ample if a bit pedestrian. Didn't dine onsite for any other meals, though we did do a lovely tasting menu at Dani Garcia in the Puente Romano a short walk from the Marbella Club.

We did have a night in their Champagne Bar - which is a wonderful throwback to the early 80's in decor. It was quite empty the night we went (it's still quite low season there) but the champagne selection was excellent and not outrageously priced.

Service was substantially above average - except for housekeeping which was a little hit and miss. It was just warm enough to hang out around the heated salt-water pool at the beach club. Both pool lounger and beverage service was excellent.

The concierge in particular was excellent - both on dining recommendations (at all price/service points) as well as arranging outings and shopping experiences.

The Spa was quite good as well. If you book through Virtuoso, a 40 minute hydrotherapy session is included - quite enjoyable as were the massages.

Another perk of the Virtuoso booking is a free round of golf everyday including transfers to and from - which unfortunately I did not take advantage of, as we were traveling with my parents.
If you'd like any more specifics, feel free to PM.
I agree the breakfast was only OK for a LHW at marbella club... Breky was better at the romano.. rates can also be better at the romano but the marbella club has the edge in terms of lux
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:38 am
Original Poster

What do people do regarding dinner if they stay at Finca C? Do they mostly venture out? Is a car recommended to explore the area at all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.