Search

Dubai - Luxury but not over the top

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I would agree with that. Madinat Jumeirah has gone too budget-holiday and you can tell from the people there.
You clearly have not been there at UK school holiday periods (Easter / October) when you cannot get through the door for less than GBP 500 night. We are paying GBP 1900 a night for a suite next Easter for the half of the stay I cannot get on Sirius points.

For our stay in October, had we not got the whole thing on miles and points, it would have cost us £25,000 for 10 nights in a DAM suite and 4 x J EK tickets.

Last edited by Raffles; Dec 3, 2014 at 3:03 pm
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Raffles
You clearly have not been there at UK school holiday periods (Easter / October) when you cannot get through the door for less than £500 night.
Possibly not, but I was referring to the style of traveller I've seen there the last few times I was at Dar al Masyaf. The O&O was clearly the home of the 'smarter' crowd. I can't wait for the flaming!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:40 am

Possibly not, but I was referring to the style of traveller I've seen there the last few times I was at Dar al Masyaf. The O&O was clearly the home of the 'smarter' crowd. I can't wait for the flaming!
I agree. O&O (but only if you stay in The Residence & Spa or across the water at The Palm) attracts a very different guest from Madinat and so does the new FS.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:50 pm

I totally agree...Madinat is still top end price wise but as a middle class Brit I dislike the resort feel, the 'type' that go there and the general atmosphere!! I'm not a snob, the opposite in fact and enjoy understated luxury like the FS/Aman brand....Madinat does not deliver here. Interestingly, Zabeel does so it's not Jumeirah specific, just this resort!

I really enjoy Dubai for what it is, just not this place
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
You clearly have not been there at UK school holiday periods (Easter / October) when you cannot get through the door for less than GBP 500 night. We are paying GBP 1900 a night for a suite next Easter for the half of the stay I cannot get on Sirius points.

For our stay in October, had we not got the whole thing on miles and points, it would have cost us £25,000 for 10 nights in a DAM suite and 4 x J EK tickets.
Im really sorry but paying that much per night for madinat is just plain stupid.
Its definately not worth that much! Not even close.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:16 am

To add to that, my recent Dar Al Masyaf experience:

Booked 2x2 nights (4 nights maldives in between).

We arrived early morning, complimentary transfer not there, guy needs to call the hotel, blah blah, takes way too long - we take a cab.

Arrival: Room not ready (arrived at like 8 AM so ok no problem). Guy tells us that the room will be ready in 2 hours. Great.
We go to the pool and i call them after 2 and a half hours - whats up with the room? - Reply: Will be another 2 hours. So i tell them thats not possible and that they better figure something out and call me back.
Noone calls back, after 20 minutes i walk to the reception - and suddenly the room is ready!?!? ah ok.

Breakfast: Is big and ok, but quality is lacking. Wanna see a nice breakfast - go to one and only the palm. Thats sweet!

Taken to the room. Not nice, old, dirty and facing the suk with all the restaurants. Yeeeehaw.
We go to the beach - no free sun loungers. Not 1! But only like half are actually occupied. So we just take over 2 which arent.

Next morning: Same ..... EVERY SINGLE sun lounger, at 9 AM! occupied with towels and the usual stuff. 3 Beach areas - 0 FREE SUN LOUNGERS!

Again, we remove towels and take over 2 loungers - the staff is not willing to help - very different at o&o where towels get removed after 45 minutes.

By noon times most sun loungers were still not occupied except by towels. Still, no removal happening.

Thats not 5 star, thats like club med.

At this time ive had enough, i posted a bad review on tripadvisor and extended our maldives stay by 1 night.

At checkout - management appears (they saw the tripadvisor review). They then really put an effort in it (cancelling the 1 night which is non refundable) - comping all extras (even dinner at pierchich that we had), giving us Airport transfers in a 7 series and even giving us the last night off.

That was all really really nice, and it did change my view somewhat, but still, that hotel is not a 5+ star property. Too many flaws.

Cant wait for the 4 seasons.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can't quite share a view/experience that was as negative as yours, but the three properties at the MJ have come and gone in my view.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I have never had lounger issues at Madinat, even when it is full of kids and the resort is running over capacity (because every room has a kid in it on a rollaway!).

They are a little slow at clearing towels but if you start doing it someone runs up.

It is a bit like Four Seasons Hampshire in that, after 10 years, people who went there as a couple when it opened now have kids but keep going back. It therefore becomes a family resort, to the extent of potentially alienating other guests, without actually trying. FS Hampshire actually has less to offer kids now than it did on opening (the cinema room was removed) but continues to attract more and more.

Last edited by Raffles; Dec 4, 2014 at 5:54 am
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:55 am
Suspended

Has anyone heard of this http://www.fourseasons.com/dubaidifc...unges/sky_bar/
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NinaThompson
Yep - anything specific you're interested in?

As for FS Jumeirah...was there on an extended layover and LOVED it. At $125/day, the beach cabanas can't be beat...A/C, full spread of food, shower, outdoor area, with direct access to pool.

I will say the beach itself wasn't too impressive, but I think that's an issue with DXB in general.

Will be interesting to see what happens w/ FS Jumeirah once Bvlgari (or was it Armani?) opens directly in front of their beach.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Yep - anything specific you're interested in?

As for FS Jumeirah...was there on an extended layover and LOVED it. At $125/day, the beach cabanas can't be beat...A/C, full spread of food, shower, outdoor area, with direct access to pool.

I will say the beach itself wasn't too impressive, but I think that's an issue with DXB in general.

Will be interesting to see what happens w/ FS Jumeirah once Bvlgari (or was it Armani?) opens directly in front of their beach.
I just wonder about is the Four Seasons Competing against its self. http://www.bulgarihotels.com/en-us/dubai/overview is the hotel you thinking about Mr Price
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NinaThompson
I just wonder about is the Four Seasons Competing against its self. http://www.bulgarihotels.com/en-us/dubai/overview is the hotel you thinking about Mr Price
I don't really think it'll be competing against itself anymore than two Four Seasons in NYC would...or two Four Seasons in Cairo, or LA, or any number of cities.

Different hotels for different clientele.

Four Seasons Jumeirah: luxury, leisure, family, beach, scene. MUCH bigger property.

Four Seasons @ DIFC: business business business. Quick overnight stays. Only 106 rooms.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Four Seasons DIFC now available for bookings
http://press.fourseasons.com/dubaidi...rvations-live/
http://www.fourseasons.com/dubaidifc/
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:24 pm

Would be good to know what time your flight to the US is. If you have a full day I'd opt for a hotel offering guaranteed late check-out and a beach. If you are only there for a short time I'd stay at the airport (e.g. le meridien). Burj is not worth a detour but if you want to visit make a reservation.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:15 am

Amazing how fast they got this one up and running. FS DIFC will be perfect for quick stopovers. Fly into DXB around midnight, very late dinner at their 24h Diner restaurant, breakfast and morning swim in their rooftop pool and onto the next flight.

For longer stays, the Resort at Jumeirah Beach remains the top choice in Dubai. And with signing privileges there, some business guests might drop by for dinner or a drink at Shai Salon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.