Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Expand the remit of this forum? Comments invited.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expand the remit of this forum? Comments invited.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I think it`s a very good idea. Would also include flights (of course only as an aspect as we have the special forums) as it is sometimes a problem for me to reach hotels "in style".
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I like things the way they are.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:38 am

I think some discussion of other topics related to high-end travel is fine.

I don't really take cruises, but if I were to I would post here because I would be specifically intetested in the input of luxury hotel forum regulars.

Re private air travel, it seems there is little discussion of this on FT in general, but I think it could be discussed here, particularly in the context of high-end leisure travel (as opposed to business use of private aircraft).

Also, discussion of good restaurants is definitely okay with me Extensive discussion probably belongs in the dining forum, but again sometimes I would be seeking input from regulars in this forum. I think in addition to hotel f&b, mentioning other noteworthy restaurants is fine.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:26 am

Rather than expanding from luxury hotels , which I think will shift and even confuse the focus of the subject matter , would it be possible to have a sub forum for the other luxury topics ? - like what is done under the Lufthansa and Swiss forum . A subset instead of expansion .
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:20 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think subforums are created when traffic is significant but not before that happens.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:35 am

I don't think the forum description should be changed though. If it included, for example, "luxury cruises" discussion that belongs in the dedicated forum for cruises might end up here.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 17, 2014 at 4:06 pm
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:57 am
Original Member

I'm agnostic on many of the suggestions made here but feel strongly that including restaurants would be most regrettable.

The notion of including luxury services is brilliant so a big YES on that one.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:06 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I guess I have been stretching the rules anyway by asking for recommendations for non luxury hotels for a few days during a round trip or asking for recommendations regarding activities and excursions from a luxury hotel that I am staying at or even restaurants sometimes. If this would be officially allowed with these changes, I am of course in favour, but I cannot see myself starting a tread in here which is not mainly focused around a luxury hotel. How to "spice up a trip while staying in the best hotels" is definitely interesting but a tread about "I want to stay at Hilton but where should I go for dinner, visit a spa during my stay or find a great tour guide" or "I cannot stay there, but which hotel bars are the best or which luxury pools would allow non-guests" is not what I would personally be interested in.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
I guess I have been stretching the rules anyway by asking for recommendations for non luxury hotels for a few days during a round trip or asking for recommendations regarding activities and excursions from a luxury hotel that I am staying at or even restaurants sometimes. If this would be officially allowed with these changes, I am of course in favour, but I cannot see myself starting a tread in here which is not mainly focused around a luxury hotel. How to "spice up a trip while staying in the best hotels" is definitely interesting but a tread about "I want to stay at Hilton but where should I go for dinner, visit a spa during my stay or find a great tour guide" or "I cannot stay there, but which hotel bars are the best or which luxury pools would allow non-guests" is not what I would personally be interested in.
I agree, very well said. By the way, I do not think you have ever "stretched the rules" - sometimes out of necessity a "luxury" trip has to include other types of hotels in places where there are no luxury hotels.

I think as long as the main focus remains on luxury hotels and resorts, ancillary discussion of good restaurants, activities, or excursions is totally fine. Indeed, this can be very valuable information.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 13, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I agree, very well said. By the way, I do not think you have ever "stretched the rules" - sometimes out of necessity a "luxury" trip has to include other types of hotels in places where there are no luxury hotels.

I think as long as the main focus remains on luxury hotels and resorts, ancillary discussion of good restaurants, activities, or excursions is totally fine. Indeed, this can be very valuable information.
+1 on both points.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
sometimes out of necessity a "luxury" trip has to include other types of hotels in places where there are no luxury hotels.
Sad but true. And if it comes to this situation I trust people in this forum most because they know what I normally used to
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Originally Posted by offerendum
Sad but true. And if it comes to this situation I trust people in this forum most because they know what I normally used to
Agree .

It sure saves me time , not having to plough through other forums . Not that I have figured out many other forums , how to locate .

This is my FT ' home '
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:40 pm

I like the idea but I would make it a separate forum and leave this just for hotels.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I'm against it because I came to FT as mainly a FF/airplane junkie...
Now you guys here have pushed me into luxury hotels.. I'm not so sure my wallet could handle a push into private planes and charters....

But in all seriousness.. I could see luxury safaris/luxury tours/luxury trains/luxury cruises etc fitting in well... but the restaurants not really.. I get as much satisfaction from a good hamburger as I do from eating at 11 Madison Park (probably more...)

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.