Wiki Posts
Search

Sri Panwa - Phuket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Sri Panwa - Phuket

Had a couple of free days so I decided to try something new in Phuket and booked at Sri Panwa.

Great place. I ended up in a 5BR villa (maybe because of the last minute booking). Beautiful interior. Great views and sunsets. Excellent pool..good for both laps and lounging. I can't vouch for any of the other rooms/villas there, but where I stayed was definitely nicer than anything at Puri or Trisara. That said, the exterior finishes and furniture were maybe not quite as nice or as well maintained as at Puri or Trisara.

Overall it's less secluded and less private than Trisara or Puri. I'm guessing there are probably 70 to 80 rooms/villas and the overall layout is denser than Puri or Trisara. The clientele are generally younger and more Asian. Staff are also younger and somewhat less experienced, but overall the service was very good and very friendly.

The overall vibe is very modern and hip which is probably the biggest distinguishing factor compared to Trisara or Puri.

Spa is being rennovated so they're using temporary facilities which were OK but not great.

The food was very good....not outstanding but very good. They have a great bar... wooden deck surrounded by an infiniti pool...bean bag pillows on the deck and mini-kotatsus. Spectacular views. Overall the views from the resort are pretty incredible.

One downside is a very small beach...you have to walk down quite a few stairs to get there. The beach is pretty, but rocky when you get in the ocean. They have a jetty like Trisara, but it's year round since the resort in on the calm side of the island. The water on that side of the island is not as clean as on the Andaman side.

The other downside is the fact that it's on the southeast tip on the island so it takes about an hour from the airport.

Very nice change from Amanpuri or Trisara. I don't think it's for everyone, but if you're OK with Curtis Mayfield instead of traditional Thai instrumental music during dinner, you'll like this place. I'll definitely go back.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good to hear.

Originally Posted by 5khours
5BR...definitely nicer than anything at Puri or Trisara
including new / largest villas at Puri ?
http://www.amanresorts.com/amanpuri_villas.aspx
13 most recently developed Villas are perched atop the hill adjacent to the resort. Private entrances are marked by stone walls, while the interiors exude a subtle Thai aesthetic. Floor-to-ceiling windows offer breathtaking views of the Andaman Sea. Villas feature four to nine bedrooms spread over two to four levels, all accessible by stairs or lift.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 29, 2014 at 7:58 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
good to hear.

including new / largest villas at Puri ?
http://www.amanresorts.com/amanpuri_villas.aspx
I have not stayed in any of the new villas at Puri. From the outside anyway they look more like condominiums than like villas. Anybody stayed at or toured the new Puri villas?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
They are really beautiful & spacious inside . Having a lift really helps as villas have a few floors .
Owners have put their ' personal ' stamp but you know you ' re in Puri . Have chosen own artworks , etc . But not keen on the exterior either .
Should stay if you haven ' t , or at least take a look
Old May 16, 2016, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Stayed at Sri Panwa again for a couple of nights. Booked a 2BR villa. The villas are really nice here. Beautifully done. Great views. Better than Trisara I would have to say.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
I ended up in a 5BR villa (maybe because of the last minute booking)
wonder if they will still do this, perhaps in low season >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
just noticed [early 2012] sri panwa has started doing this >
1BR residence villa - "nestled within a larger Three Bedroom Residence Villa"
2BR residence villa - "nestled within a larger Four Bedroom Residence Villa"

currently only 2BR is loaded online, but its not much more than [entry level] villa
re comparison, any idea which amanpuri villa is in this photo ?
Attached Images  
Old May 18, 2016, 12:11 pm

so IM down to Sri Panwa or Andara or Trisara.

Thoughts?
Old May 19, 2016, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surftb15

Thoughts?
Don't know Andara. Between Trisara and Sri Panwa, it's a bit of a toss up in my mind. Depends a little on the season and what you're looking for.
Old May 20, 2016, 8:41 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

Thoughts?
I've stayed at Andara - reviewed it on FT here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...3&query=andara

The three are very different resorts. Sri Panwa, as OP described it, is very hip and young with a more Asian crowd. This is definitely much more of a 'social' resort with quite a buzz around it. It's also very, very far from almost everything. Despite that, beware of the day-trippers in the common areas (particularly Baba Nest) who come over for sunset drinks. The villas are very nice and private though and still offer some sense of solitude. Beach is decent.

Trisara is absolutely fantastic and probably has the best 'hotel rooms'. Has the best beach out of the three in terms of sand, but very rocky entry to the water unless you're going in high-season. Wasn't that impressed by the privately owned villas, or the food. Service could improve too.

Andara is like a mini-Aman in so many ways (design, tiling, layout to an extent - it's also a much 'smaller' resort though). If you're going in a large group, go for Andara beacause the multiple bedroom villas are stunning - every bit as nice as Amans. This is also the most conveniently located resort if you want to explore rest of Phuket. But if the beach is a big thing for you, skip Andara because their beach really isn't up to much.

Best (Thai) food is at Andara I reckon, but you're limited for choice. SILK is the only restaurant. Commented earlier that the breakfast was horrid, but as horrid as that breakfast was, the Thai food is absolutely worth it. There are also a host of Thai/Western/touristy beach bars within walking distance from Andara.

I'm very familiar with all three - and just had lunch (again!) at Andara on my last visit to Phuket in late April and continue to keep going back every year.

Feel free to ask any questions!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I've stayed at Andara - reviewed it on FT here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...3&query=andara

The three are very different resorts. Sri Panwa, as OP described it, is very hip and young with a more Asian crowd. This is definitely much more of a 'social' resort with quite a buzz around it. It's also very, very far from almost everything. Despite that, beware of the day-trippers in the common areas (particularly Baba Nest) who come over for sunset drinks. The villas are very nice and private though and still offer some sense of solitude. Beach is decent.

Trisara is absolutely fantastic and probably has the best 'hotel rooms'. Has the best beach out of the three in terms of sand, but very rocky entry to the water unless you're going in high-season. Wasn't that impressed by the privately owned villas, or the food. Service could improve too.

Andara is like a mini-Aman in so many ways (design, tiling, layout to an extent - it's also a much 'smaller' resort though). If you're going in a large group, go for Andara beacause the multiple bedroom villas are stunning - every bit as nice as Amans. This is also the most conveniently located resort if you want to explore rest of Phuket. But if the beach is a big thing for you, skip Andara because their beach really isn't up to much.

Best (Thai) food is at Andara I reckon, but you're limited for choice. SILK is the only restaurant. Commented earlier that the breakfast was horrid, but as horrid as that breakfast was, the Thai food is absolutely worth it. There are also a host of Thai/Western/touristy beach bars within walking distance from Andara.

I'm very familiar with all three - and just had lunch (again!) at Andara on my last visit to Phuket in late April and continue to keep going back every year.

Feel free to ask any questions!
Well this is in January combining with the new zecha resort in LPQ, if it opens on time.

Just the wife and I.

What one has the most private villa?

From the looks of it, it seems that Andara private pool aren't all that private.

Privacy is pretty important. Theres also Point Yamu suites , no beach but boat ride to beach club. Anything else ? Rayvadee has a 4/3 and the private pool is around 30,000 baht (same as Andara).

Last edited by surftb15; Jun 7, 2016 at 5:31 pm
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:20 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Well this is in January combining with the new zecha resort in LPQ, if it opens on time.

Just the wife and I.

What one has the most private villa?

From the looks of it, it seems that Andara private pool aren't all that private.

Privacy is pretty important. Theres also Point Yamu suites , no beach but boat ride to beach club. Anything else ? Rayvadee has a 4/3 and the private pool is around 30,000 baht (same as Andara).
The suites at Andara aren't that private, but the villas are. However, they aren't 100% private (same as Amanpuri; there are certain angles etc...)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
The suites at Andara aren't that private, but the villas are. However, they aren't 100% private (same as Amanpuri; there are certain angles etc...)
Yea but I'm not interested in Aman or Andara right now. I need a room with private pool and privacy.

It looks like rayavadee has a 4/3 rate, which seems like a good value. They have rooms with private hydro pools? That may not be a bad bet.

For whatever reason, Trisara is pricing at 2k lead in room, which simply isn't worth it IMO.

Theres also Point Yamu and Sri Pawna, but I much prefer something quieter.

Point Yamu has good suites, Rayavadee looks cool. Just curious about privacy.

Last edited by surftb15; Jun 8, 2016 at 9:51 am
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:48 am

Okay so I narrowed it down to these

Sri Pawna, Point Yamu, or Rayavadee. Sri Pawna seems cool, I would book a 1br Luxury Room. Rayavadee the beaches don't seem private. Point Yamu no beach, but rooms look okay.

The other wild card is Wanakarn!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at sri pawna, some pretty unique design >
1BR pool villa B / 1BR pool villa garden
2BR pool villa / 2BR pool villa ocean

sri panwa does still book residences like amanpuri >
1BR residence villa nestled within a larger Three Bedroom Residence Villa
2BR Residence Villa nestled within a larger 4BR Residence Villa
residence floorplans at sripanwaresidence.com/

Wanakarn does similar with their 2BR, price similar to residences

yamu hotel villas are close together, the private pools have walls
but if looking at pool suite at sri panwa, would be comparable

recently noticed that yamu development has some rental villas

youre going in high season, rates do keep going up

when you posted trisara only had rack loaded for hotel
residences were same/cheaper than hotel, clearly not 'right'

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 10, 2016 at 10:06 am
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:09 am

Okay so Yamu is out, and can replace with Trisara. I wonder when they will load the new rates?

So it looks like Sri Panwa or Wanakarn will be two options, Trisara based off when they open rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.