Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Asheville / Western Carolinas / Eastern Tennessee - lux options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

In this area of the globe, i.e. Appalachia, where do y'all stay for a luxury option?

I think it goes without saying Blackberry Farm reigns supreme, but that's a destination hotel and not really around anything in particular.

As far as Asheville goes, thoughts on the Grand Bohemian?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by pricesquire
In this area of the globe, i.e. Appalachia, where do y'all stay for a luxury option?

I think it goes without saying Blackberry Farm reigns supreme, but that's a destination hotel and not really around anything in particular.

Ever heard of Hotel Domestique in Travelers Rest? Looks like it caters more to the cycling crowd but it definitely seems more upscale (not quite sure if it hits the luxury box)... My in-laws live nearby and I haven't found anything that excites me in the area (other than a bed away from my in laws)... Every time I've been to Asheville I've stayed in little bed and breakfasts but I'm not sure if there's anything approaching luxury there (but really good food in Asheville as well). I've seen that Biltmore has a house you can rent (not the big house...)...

FDW
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
The Grand in very nice and feels more like a boutique than a large hotel. Nice bar and the Red Stagg is also very good.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a hotel on the Biltmore estate that claims to be luxury but it didn't look so good to me and I didn't stay there. They also claim to have a gourmet restaurant.

There is a really good restaurant about ten miles west of Chapel Hill that seems to also be an inn with a small number of rooms. The property looks nice, but it probably isn't true luxury.

The Westin in downtown Greensboro (GSP airport) is in a historic building in a great location. Sadly it needs renovations and hence isn't luxury.

There's a very nice pleasant about four and a third star hotel, IIRC the Duke Washington, on a golf course on the edge of the Duke campus in Durham.

Has the OP checked whether any of the standard luxury brands such as RC or Four Seasons have outposts in the desired area?

I think it's right over the border in Kentucky, but Pipestem State Park ??? used to have an impressive almost luxury lodge in an interesting modern building hanging over a cliff. I haven't been there in a long time so I don't know what it's like now.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 16, 2014 at 3:03 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:25 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We've stayed at the Inn on Biltmore Estate many times and the rooms were getting a bit run down on our last few stays. Service was always very good though and they may have had a remodel. We haven't been there in a while. Their best accomodation was a private cottage on the property that came with one or two dedicated staff members. Really beautiful and charming.

The views from the inn are unbeatable. And you can see the estate on another mountaintop.

We're big fans of Blackberry Farm too and there's alot to do in the way of activities!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:46 am
In memoriam

Don't think western NC is Appalachia - more like "Florida north" in the summer . I don't recall any real luxury when we've been there. This is more typical:

http://www.pinecrestinn.com/

The nicest places we've stayed have been golf/tennis properties like this one:

http://www.eseeola.com/

Comfortable 4*. OTOH - you're paying a pretty big premium for golf access (to often otherwise private courses). So - if you're not a golfer - it might not be worth the extra $$$.

BTW - I assume you're limiting your inquiry to the "mountains" in NC - not the middle of the state - or the coast. My late in-laws used to live in Southern Pines (near Pinehurst - in the "middle"). We were never thrilled with the Pinehurst resort there. Our favorite accommodations were usually short term rental condos. Robyn
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just left AVL.

While the soft product was kind of a mess, I thought the Grand Bohemian was an absolute gem. Not sure it's luxury in the sense it's used on this forum...but it was pretty damn close. I'd give it a 4*+

Will post some pics in a bit.

FWIW, I haven't heard great things about the Biltmore options mentioned above. Dated/run-down seems to be the norm as far as reviews go.

I loved the Westin Greenville, but that's when I was obsessively into SPG status, so I'm not sure if I'd like it as much with a more discerning look.

I do think Blackberry Farm has to be the lux hotel/resort within a few hundred mile radius.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:56 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

FWIW, I haven't heard great things about the Biltmore options mentioned above. Dated/run-down seems to be the norm as far as reviews go.
Anyone interested should look into the cottage, though. More recently updated, beautifully decorated.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
Nothing truly luxurious but there are some very lovely places to stay in western NC, albeit a little out of the way from Asheville. Some to look into:

Gideon Ridge (Loved it. Very low key. Great food. Beautiful setting).
Westglow (Haven't stayed but looks respectable)
The Swag (Good but has gone down hill a little over the years)
Snowbird Mountain Lodge (Ditto my comment on The Swag)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I completely passed it without even realizing, but there's a Virtuoso hotel in Highlands, an upscale town in Appalachia, just outside of Asheville called Old Edwards Inn & Spa

http://www.oldedwardsinn.com/
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
Also, Primland on the NC/VA border.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I stayed at The Fearrington House Inn just last week, it was about 7 miles away from Chapel Hill, it is a Relais & Chateaux hotel.

I was going to book Blackberry Farm but they do not accept Saturday check-in so unfortunately that wouldn't go wit my schedule.

Fearrington House was in a very nice setting, I stayed at a stand-alone cottage, the room itself was really nice, but service was inconsistent.
The grounds are gorgeous, and the inn was part of a village concept so inn guests share the grounds with day-visit guests. That said, it was a bit annoying there was no reserved parking spots for inn-guests and there was no one out to greet you when you arrived.
The highlight of the inn was its restaurant, I think the food at the restaurant is Michelin-worthy, inn-guests also get complimentary afternoon tea, the canapes served were really really good.
I think the hotel is nice for an overnight stay if you happen to be in that area, it is not a destination of its own. Service was also very cold comparing to all the other Relais & Chateaux properties I've stayed in the past.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the review. Didn't even know this place existed. Frequent traveler to Chapel Hill (uncle is a medical professor at UNC), so I'll be sure to check this out next trip!

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
I stayed at The Fearrington House Inn just last week, it was about 7 miles away from Chapel Hill, it is a Relais & Chateaux hotel.

I was going to book Blackberry Farm but they do not accept Saturday check-in so unfortunately that wouldn't go wit my schedule.

Fearrington House was in a very nice setting, I stayed at a stand-alone cottage, the room itself was really nice, but service was inconsistent.
The grounds are gorgeous, and the inn was part of a village concept so inn guests share the grounds with day-visit guests. That said, it was a bit annoying there was no reserved parking spots for inn-guests and there was no one out to greet you when you arrived.
The highlight of the inn was its restaurant, I think the food at the restaurant is Michelin-worthy, inn-guests also get complimentary afternoon tea, the canapes served were really really good.
I think the hotel is nice for an overnight stay if you happen to be in that area, it is not a destination of its own. Service was also very cold comparing to all the other Relais & Chateaux properties I've stayed in the past.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Yea the owner of the inn created the whole village concept so there are a lot of locals that frequent the village. I think a lot of people that dined there are professors at UNC or Duke (oops overheard dinner conversation). Village itself is quite nice, dinner was amazing, inn rooms are nice but service inconsistent.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Yea the owner of the inn created the whole village concept so there are a lot of locals that frequent the village. I think a lot of people that dined there are professors at UNC or Duke (oops overheard dinner conversation). Village itself is quite nice, dinner was amazing, inn rooms are nice but service inconsistent.
The most I'll ever ask, from a service perspective, is for room service of hot water and/or tea.

Not one of those people who relies on service too much. Always feel guilty asking for things.

Looking forward to this property!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.