Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Monterey and Big Sur Luxury Options (California)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Monterey and Big Sur Luxury Options (California)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by OliverB
Agree 100% although The Ahwahnee doesn't have to be such a compromise; we had a pretty well appointed suite.
I agree, but those suites are nearly impossible to book.

OT -- The great room at the Ahwahnee is what Kubrick used as model for the main room in movie The Shining. Kubrick added staircases to the left and right.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jul 29, 2014 at 10:31 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Originally Posted by OliverB
Deetjen's is your best dinner option; both for food and ambiance. There's also Big Sur Roadhouse which has great atmosphere. Nepenthe for lunch, strictly for the views! Big Sur Bakery is great for breakfast and brunch. Otherwise the closest destination dining would be in Carmel.
agree with the options but woudl probably put big sur bakery at the top of my list. big sur roadhouse i thought was ok... Nepenthe you mainly are going for the views (though food i'd argue is better than room service options at PRI though i'd characterize as passable; view also incrementally better at nepenthe than PRI).
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:39 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I agree, but those suites are nearly impossible to book...
Agreed - but sometimes you luck out. We had to book El Dumpo at the Grand Canyon - but then a suite opened at El Tovar at the last minute when the room occupants were too tired to make it back after a donkey ride into the Canyon. OTOH - these days - I like to plan stuff well in advance - and not wait for last minute "lucking out". Robyn
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:53 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by robyng
Haven't been to the part of world that's being discussed in this thread for quite a while. Last time IIRC we stayed at a place called the Carmel Valley Ranch. Which - at the time - many years ago - had new very nice accommodations and an excellent restaurant. Anyone know what's going on there today? Robyn
LOL we'll be at a wedding at Carmel Valley Ranch in Sept 2015. It looks to be pretty nice for the area--certainly the best accommodation I can ascertain in the Carmel vicinity. Will report back if I can remember!

We have considered a night or two at Post Ranch Inn before or after the wedding--since we'll be just an hour or so away. We're leaning against it--while it may be bucket list for most, I can't say it's as bucket list for us to see the spectacular coastal scenery there, especially at their price point and with the critiques I've heard too often from too many friends who've stayed and dined there. So we likely will just drive to Big Sur and check it out on the way up to Carmel.

Carmel Valley Ranch is also dog friendly, so we're considering bringing our boy with us--and PRI does not permit pets.

If we're going to spend $2500+ per night, we'd rather be at Wakaya Club or Laucala Island in Fiji or at a pool suite at Amangiri or Singita Boulders/Grumeti--all places distinct from where we live in SoCal.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:31 pm
Original Member

I am booked into Ventana for Christmas and am considering adding on a night or two afterwards at Bernardus but their site says December is fully booked all month long. Could that be possible?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I agree, but those suites are nearly impossible to book.
This is an interesting tip for the planners amongst us. I just booked the Ahwahnee for summer 2015. Suites were gone for the days of interest to me. I asked the agent when folks booked. She said that bookings open 1 year and 1 day in advance. The following is the useful tip. Folks are allowed to request what they want a few weeks in advance of that. They go on a waitlist that is worked first the morning that bookings open. Park services booking is 866-875-8456.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
I'll be flying in from Australia on a Saturday morning and before starting work on Monday, I thought I'll spend the weekend in the Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur area to relax a bit and to enjoy the beauty of the nature there.
Unfortunately, Post Ranch Inn is booked out on my dates in November and I'm looking for other options.

FHR properties are Ventana Inn, Bernardus Lodge, Carmel Valley Ranch, Hyatt Carmel. I'm not too keen on overlooking golf courts, so I would not consider golf resorts unless golf is not dominating the view and the atmosphere. Also it should have more of a modern feel.
The Hyatt seems to have a very appealing view but very mixed reviews.
One consideration is of course the weather in November. If it is cold and foggy on the coast, I guess there wouldn't be much point in staying too close to the coast and the Carmel Valley might be better?

Other than view, atmosphere and food there are not many other considerations as I'll be alone. I would also consider trying two different places.

What would you recommend?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:38 am
Original Member

Ventana to be sure and certain, although it is over priced. I prefer it over Post Ranch. Bernardus otherwise.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by KatW
Ventana to be sure and certain, although it is over priced. I prefer it over Post Ranch. Bernardus otherwise.
Thanks! I think I'll stay one night each. Are the entry level rooms at the Ventana ok? They are the most I'm willing to pay there.

How is the Hyatt? I'm very tempted by its location.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Member

Post a Ranch Inn reopening despite Hwy 1 closure at Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge:
Via helicopter from Monterey. I can't recommend PRI but -- a helicopter ride! How cool is that?!

http://www.postranchinn.com/fly-to-big-sur/
Old May 19, 2017, 4:14 pm

Can someone recommend a good choice for first time visit to carmel area? My wife and I without kids. CVR? Bernardus? We are going in Mid July. We don't golf but would like to walk around carmel one day and shop. Anything else to consider in Carmel?
Old May 19, 2017, 4:24 pm
Original Member

Bernardus.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:01 pm

Ok is Bernardus the clear choice in the area?
Old May 20, 2017, 1:35 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by off2rome
Ok is Bernardus the clear choice in the area?
Absolutely. Feel free to check my review from Sept 2015:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...alifornia.html
Old May 21, 2017, 7:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Made a day trip to Carmel / Monterey yesterday as decent places were fully booked weeks ago .
Forgot it was the Carmel Art Festival !
Enjoyed it as always though traffic left much to be desired , fair bit of ' stop & go ' ..
Was hoping to stay at what you all had suggested , will have to wait till next visit now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.