Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Langkawi's best resort: Four Seasons or Datai ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer

I am travelling to Langkawi within a few weeks and cannot make up my mind about staying at either the Four Seasons (which does not look exceptional based on the photos) and the Datai (which got some recent negative reviews on tripadvisor). Any suggestion about what hotel to choose ?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Neither, each has drawbacks that make it not really 5-star. I've stayed at both and prefer the Bon Ton resort in Langkawi though it is definitely not 5-star (but the food is better and you either love or hate the rest of the resort as it is quite unique). Datai in particular is very disappointing as it is in beautiful jungle that feels over-developed and crowded -- the anti-thesis of what it should be. They are more convention resorts, if you know what I mean.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:04 am

I don't really think that the Bon Ton is acceptable, given the number of cats that live there, the planes overhead from the nearby airport and the overall bohemian style of the place. It's OK for lunch, but the food is not exactly exceptional.

The Datai is no longer managed by GHM, but by the owners and yes, standards have dropped. Why are we surprised. It used to be a lovely resort, especially after the latest refurbishment, but it was not long after this was completed that the owners fired GHM.

Four Seasons works really well for families with young kids, but it can be a bit to buffet-led at times, probably because it is so popular with families.

If you take a Pool Villa on the beach, life improves, although even the Malaleuca rooms are nice (great bathrooms) especially if you take an upper level, as they have romantic wraparound balconies. It's by far the best option on Langkawi these days.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 am

Agreed with vuittons on all accounts.

We quite enjoyed the FS Langkawi, though it was a good 6 or so years ago at this point.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:04 pm

I walked around the FS recently and found it rather soulless - I'm sure the rooms are lovely but the beach is too big and empty with a lovely view of some cement works! Some nice public spaces but the whole place was like a ghost town.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the helpful comments! I have to travel to Langkawi anyway, but I'm afraid that the island is a bit of a hype and that somehow none of the 2 resorts will please me because of serious drawbacks (change of management at Datai + that cement factory view of the Four Seasons is mentioned many times on tripadvisor and now by "quitecontrary" as well). While the Datai looks more impressive on the photos, I guess I stick to the FS brand, simply because of their reputation. One question: which resort has the nicest beach (from an esthetical point of view) or are they not that different at all ?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:37 pm

I haven't seen the beach at the Datai but I really didn't like the beach at the FS - it's just not the sort of beach that you would sit on - more for going for a walk along (with the cement works behind you) It's just too big and desolate with very little shade. I just googled images of the Datai beach and it looks more accommodating with at least some shade.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:10 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

I stayed at the fs and visited datai for dinner. Loved the fs, but datai has the best beach by far.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:38 am

The cement factory doesn't matter unless you want to sit and stare at it all day you don't notice it- it does glow with a red flashing light at night. The artificial beach at four seasons is more of a disappointment to me. The sea is full of rubbish from 'thailand"- the malaysians (including press and government) to blame everything environmental on Thailand! A lot of it looked like Malaysian trash to me.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Mar 9, 2014 at 4:06 am
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Haven't stayed at the FS, but I would say that the Andaman on Datai Bay is a better value than the Datai. I've stayed at the Datai too, but the extra expense isn't worth it IMO. Both properties are on the same beach surrounded by extraordinary jungle, and the bay is beautiful.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:32 am
Original Poster

I returned last week from my holiday in Langakwi, and I thought I may give an update since I decided to stay at both the Four Seasons and the Datai, so now I am able to compare them both. I am very happy that I divided my time between both resorts, since they offer a totally different experience, with the focus on the rainforest at the Datai and the beach and Amandan Sea at the Four Seasons. I would rank the Datai (slightly) higher because of its impressive surroundings. In addition, I was worried because I read so many negative reviews here and on Tripadvisor but I can only say that we had a brilliant experience at both resorts (maybe because my expectations were so low).

I uploaded a lot of photos (and I made a youtube clip with some impressions as well) here:
-The Datai: http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...gkawi-malaysia
- Four Seasons: http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...gkawi-malaysia

Comparing both resorts would be unfair, I realize now, since they offer different experiences, but nevertheless, here are some points to take into consideration:
•The Datai’s room rates are less expensive as compared to those of the Four Seasons, while I found the overall experience in terms of service, food and luxury rather marginally different (our room rate at the Four Seasons was twice as expensive as the Datai for the lowest room category).
•The colour of the sand at the Datai is a bit less white as compared to the white (partly imported) sand at the Four Seasons Hotel. I preferred the beach of the Four Seasons. A lot has been said and written about that cement factory at the horizon of the Four Seasons. The factory sits to the southwest at a distance, whereas the resort is primarily situated to the northeast. While the factory is not an issue in the northeastern part of the resort (see youtube clip), you can't really miss is from the southwestern part of the resort and at sunset from the Rhu bar. So the message may be to request a room/villa in the northeastern part of the resort.
•Food at both resorts was excellent. The Thai restaurant at the Datai was so good, that I would consider the Datai the winner here.
•The jungle surroundings of the Datai are way more impressive than those at the Four Seasons, with the added spectacle of wildlife.
•The waters at both resorts are not clear (not good for snorkeling). This is not the Maldives, Turks & Caicos or Seychelles after all, but nevertheless, both properties did feel like a tropical paradise.
•The rooms of the Four Seasons are larger and more luxurious (especially the gorgeous bathrooms), but they feel less authentic as those at the Datai. The Four Seasons could be a luxury resort anywhere in the world, while the Datai is pretty unique. Some guests posted reviews on the internet that the Datai rooms feel dated, but I do not agree (our room was excellent, albeit it may have been an updated one). In any case, the resort will revamp its rooms this year, so it should not be any issue anymore in the near future.
•Service at the Four Seasons is superior to the Datai. Some of Datai's returning guests complain in internet reviews about a decline in service and maintenance. While we cannot compare the hotel with how it was managed under the GHM brand, we found the overall service to be excellent albeit a little slow from time to time (as we noted less staff as compared to other luxury hotels of this size). We experienced one serious let-down at the signature restaurant Gulai House, where our entrees were not served at the same time (but with a 15 minute interval between them) and no apologies or explanation were offered.
•Both resorts have an adult pool and a family pool at a distance from each other, so whenj you have no children, you can enjoy the pools in all tranquility. The adult pool at the Four Seasons is simply stunning with its 8 walled private cabanas.

My advice: stay at both resorts to take in the best from the rainforest (Datai) and beach (Four Seasons). Not sure though whether Langkawi as a destination is worth a long haul flight, rather a break when you are in the area.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:42 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks a lot for writing your feedback after the stay. Always nice to hear back after having answered questions here.

Interesting that you consider the beach at the FS better than Datai, but I guess that if you value colour of sand over natural overall look, I can understand as the Datai beach is pretty dark.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:13 pm

I prefer the datai beach as the fs is man made and has no wildlife life (crabs etc).

With the vast choice of great resorts within a short flight I wouldn't chose either for a trip unless I had to go to Langkawi. Langkawi was unusual 25 years ago as it was a resort island when there were few but now there are so many great hotels.

Weather is unpredictable as well.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:42 am

Does anyone know if The Datai's Singapore/Malaysia residents rates can be booked through Virtuoso?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:34 am

Despite postive reports from friends about Malaysia and Langkawi in particular, I've always had a nagging sense that has held me back from booking a trip. However, I've been persuaded by the Four Seasons recent promotion (7 nights for the price of 4 inc half board) which frankly represents great value unless the hotel is an unmitigated disaster. I'm sure it won't be but will find out for myself why so many on this forum seem to suggest Langkawi just isn't a destination worth travelling to (despite the fact that on paper it looks like it ticks lots of boxes).

My trip is a family oriented 7 day break with a few days either end in Singapore (3 nights) and KL (2 nights). The only drawback seems to be the weather in late August. I know to expect rain, I'm just hoping that I also get sunshine rather than an overdose of grey skies..I was actually planning a trip to Four Seasons in Sharm until it dawned on me that both the flights and temperatures in August are oppressive and so it's Singapore and KL/Langkawi instead. I always say I will but never get around to reporting back on my trips - I'll try and do better this time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.