Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Must Stays in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:34 pm

George V is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by fourseasonsguy1
Hi everyone, I'm am going on exchange this fall to Nice, and because of this will have quite a bit of time to travel around Europe and see some different countries. My question to all of you is if you had to pick 3-5 hotels in Europe that you consider must stay hotels, if only for one night in one's life, which would they be? I'm on a relative budget, meaning I would prefer not to spend 1000 or so euros for one night, unless you truly believe it is worth it. For example, I've only ever visited the lobby of the George V and it is a dream property of mine, but would need to hear some confirmation that it's worth it etc. Thanks!
If I understand correctly, you are considering one night, or otherwise short stays at top hotels. In this case I would rather prioritize and stay for longer at one or two hotels. I think Raffels gave very good advice about looking for good value propositions in some of the places you go. Staying for just one or two nights is not enough to fully experience a great hotel. Also, make sure to budget for meals, spa treatments, and other incidentals that will add significantly to the cost of staying at an hotel like FS George V.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
You will be out sightseeing all day, every day.
not true for everyone

Originally Posted by Raffles
In a world that is continually getting smaller and cheaper, it is not as if these are going to 'once in a lifetime' experiences.
fewer rooms means higher prices. while there may not be any new openings right now, but some new hotels have rates that end up being introductory, and then being raised dramatically.

* hotels change management/owner, and even close, fairly frequently - are there any good hotels "at risk" right now? *

Originally Posted by MOR
Just because a hotel is 200% the cost of a Hilton does not mean it is 200% better.
luxury/boutique hotels can be much better value than chain hotels

Originally Posted by MOR
Four Seasons Florence to be right up there too, although without the history attached to the specific property
FS florence is historical property that was restored, it just was not a hotel

speaking of FS florence, it can be cheap in off season, ask about 3rd nt free even if not published at the time

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
3) Aman Canal Grande, Venezia *
*Don't book a lead in room category
all aman venice reports here received upgrade, all but one from lead in room. those who posted photos showed upgrade to good canal view. (second category room.) other options in second category include ground floor canal front, and upper floor with historic ceilings but no canal view. outside of high season, and especially when traveling within europe last minute, could factor upgrade availability into trip timing.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 14, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
n
FS florence is historical property that was restored, it just was not a hotel
Speaking of which- if the goal is to stay in historical properties there are many options which are beautiful in Europe that don't require staying in a luxury property- there are even some bed and breakfast properties that are stunning in this regard.

Particularly in Italy as an example- when visiting locations around the country with Ms. Travelsig for weekend get-a-ways we tend to find beautiful places which are not luxury however are wonderful, often family owned and run, with a very high quality standard and reasonable prices- while quirky they often offer significantly better value then chain hotels or big name properties.

For example - we stayed last year in a great hotel in Positano that had absolutely perfect service and a beautiful terrace overlooking the bay (private)- while it was neither a chain nor a rated property- it was excellent and the family that ran it and owned it were wonderful. Really depends what you want and where. Some of the luxury properties in Europe have been trading on their name for far far too long and actually are dreary to stay at and have staff who would much rather be doing something else (although fortunately a lot of those properties are targeted as "avoid" right here on this very forum).
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

Speaking of which- if the goal is to stay in historical properties there are many options which are beautiful in Europe that don't require staying in a luxury property...
Along this path are the paradores of Spain and the pousadas of Portugal. We've had some truly memorable stays, not because the property was luxe, but because the property was historic and could never be replicated anywhere in the world. Some of the structures have been around for more than 1000 years.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:27 am

^ I agree wholeheartedly with both the previous posts.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
^ I agree wholeheartedly with both the previous posts.
So do I, of course.

As for the Paradores of Spain, I have fond memories of those, particularly the one in Merida.

Last edited by Pausanias; Feb 15, 2014 at 10:48 pm Reason: off-topic portions removed
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
pousadas of Portugal
Musken's portugal report included 3 pousadas

Pausanias, do you agree with the following?

Some of the luxury properties in Europe have been trading on their name for far far too long and actually are dreary to stay at and have staff who would much rather be doing something else (although fortunately a lot of those properties are targeted as "avoid" right here on this very forum).

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 15, 2014 at 4:50 pm
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've edited out portions of posts that are argumentative and off-topic. Some responses then became off-topic and were deleted. Let's stick to the topic of "must-see" European hotels and avoid denigrating individuals or nationalities.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Along this path are the paradores of Spain and the pousadas of Portugal. We've had some truly memorable stays, not because the property was luxe, but because the property was historic and could never be replicated anywhere in the world. Some of the structures have been around for more than 1000 years.
+1. . I often say here that for me a luxury hotel (or any hotel) should have a character that is "of its place." The few paradoxes and pousadas I've stayed in have certainly ticked that box.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:52 pm

Agree with the last few posts.
But… the Four Seasons Florence is both historical and luxurious.
It's by far the most amazing hotel in Europe in my opinion
and I have stayed many, many times in some great hotels
in almost every country in Europe….
A great experience can be found in an Olive Garden too. But the food
is not gonna be up to the level of the original Italian cuisine.
FS Florence is simply an amazing experience, great history and tradition
and just out-of-this-world service.
My 2nd choice is the "Mr Ripley suite" at the Europa Regina in Venice.
It simply can not be beat in Venice as far as the view, where you are
and the whole experience.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Our junior suite at the FS Florence was overlooking the loading bay and we had the joy of delivery and rubbish trucks driving under our window on a continual basis!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:43 am

Yikes!

Sometimes in historic properties the configurations can only be massaged but so much. A shame they couldn't manage a better one there.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Agree with the last few posts.
But… the Four Seasons Florence is both historical and luxurious.
It's by far the most amazing hotel in Europe in my opinion
and I have stayed many, many times in some great hotels
in almost every country in Europe….
A great experience can be found in an Olive Garden too. But the food
is not gonna be up to the level of the original Italian cuisine.
FS Florence is simply an amazing experience, great history and tradition
and just out-of-this-world service.
My 2nd choice is the "Mr Ripley suite" at the Europa Regina in Venice.
It simply can not be beat in Venice as far as the view, where you are
and the whole experience.
Four seasons Firenze is an experience in itself. I loved everything from the swimming pool, to the restaurants, the Spa, our incredible suite in the Conventino, it was one of the most perfect stay I ever enjoyed.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Four seasons Firenze is an experience in itself. I loved everything from the swimming pool, to the restaurants, the Spa, our incredible suite in the Conventino, it was one of the most perfect stay I ever enjoyed.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.