Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Must Stays in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum,One Harmony Exclusive, Flying Blue Platinum, Emirates Platinum
I would suggest to also ad the Four Seasons in Firenze in that list!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aman venice is all about "history"
FS paris but not FS florence?

aman sveti stefan is not like venice, but its certainly not "new"

some grand dame types have been renovated like dolder

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 12, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:10 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
Frankly speaking I am not sure that Aman is the way to go to visit Europe because they are so "new" here....maybe for a visitor might be more meaningful to go to some of the many Grand Dames that are almost in every city and that meant so much in the history of this continent....of course we want comfort and hospitality at its best but sometimes we might accept to get just a bit less of that in order to get a bit more of authenticity.
+1 and with that said I'd add Villa d'Este to the "must stay" list but only under "Grand Dames".
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I think your best bet is probably one of the Amans. Most come highly recommended and have gotten good feedback here.

Actually, to be honest, I think you might have set your expectation too high and despite the many great recommendations here, you are probably setting yourself up for disappointment. First I don't think any hotels even the top-rated ones can really guarantee you an "unforgettable experience of a life time" that you will fondly recall for years to come. Having stayed at many many luxury properties in the past, I will say Hotel stays are sometimes kind of roll of the dice. Some might find a particular hotel stay excellent while another forum member will report a terrible stay experience for the exact same property, even for highly rated properties. And you know what? They can be both right at the same time. I have experienced both ends of the spectrum and vast majority of the time, it is somewhere in the middle. Certainly, I rarely got the mind blowing "once of a life time stay experience" that you are seeking. Maybe a couple of times ( not more than 5 ) in my past 10 years of travel and staying at luxury properties.

Also so many other factors come into play, ie the room type you book, the clout of your travel agent, whether you are a repeat guest etc. Most importantly, your expectation and what you perceive as beautiful environment and good service will also greatly influence your ultimate "satisfaction index" with the stay.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by deathscar
What's the opinion on Ciragan Palace?
I loved Ciragan Palace but it was more than 10 years ago when I was there. Service is more polished at the 2 FS but Ciragan is more like a Grande Dame.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by offerendum
Not sure if most of the mentioned hotels are must stays. You should travel to visit places, not city-hotels. A beach resort may be worth a travel, a city hotel mostly not.
I know it may sound pathetic but for me the resort or hotel IS the destination! That's why I participate in this forum.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Ozchinois
I know it may sound pathetic but for me the resort or hotel IS the destination! That's why I participate in this forum.
Not pathetic at all and many of us share that view!

That said, the OP's question is tricky to answer. When I've booked a hotel in Europe (or anywhere else) "for the experience", I have often been disappointed. And obviously that is because a memorable experience is always a combination of elusive and intangible factors. There's no checklist.

My truly memorable experiences have usually come from searching out that little point of difference that makes something special. For example, l'Oustau des Baumanieres was referred to above as a nice little restaurant with rooms. That seems a little disparaging, it is a two star Michelin establishment IIRC, but try having lunch there on the shady terrace on a warm summer's day after you have watched the Tour de France peloton speed past in the next village, and I'm sure you'd mark that down as a memorable experience.

On my first visit to Spain many years ago I stayed in the Alfonso XIII in Seville and in a charming, slightly eccentric little hotel in the old town in Granada. Of the two, it is the latter that has always stuck in my mind.

I think generally the destination and trip purpose comes first and the hotel is just one factor, albeit a really important one.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:58 am
Aman Contributor Badge

If you have already seen the European sights and cities and really "just" look for the best hotels where you will stay in most of the time, I agree that the European Amans and the FS in Florence and Paris are the best. If you stay in and fully enjoy the facilities, restaurants and the room/suite, these hotels are also worth the high costs. However, if you want to experience some of the top sights and cities of Europe, I would first ask myself where I want to go and then find the best hotels there. In my view Paris, Rome, Venice and maybe also Barcelona are "must see cities" in Europe. To this you could add Praha, Berlin and maybe Oslo or better Bergen (Norway) to see something very different. Also Berlin and Amsterdam are worth visiting. Not all of these will have the fantastic hotels that you will remember for the rest of your life, but that's a choice to make.

I stayed at George V a couple of months ago. Though I really liked the hotel, it was the fact that I was in Paris and could enjoy the sights, food and atmosphere of the city that made me love the stay. If money is unlimited, you use this hotel as a base to explore, but if not, I would focus on the city itself. Just staying in all the time, would not be enough for me. I did not think the hotel was that great. Then I would go to a resort like Aman Sveti Stefan, Amanruya or Amanzoe instead.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your wonderful suggestions. You've helped provide me with some perspective and hotels to think about.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If this is your first European trip, I would be wary of spending too much. You will be out sightseeing all day, every day. Your time in the hotels will be modest. Eating alone in an expensive luxury hotel restaurant is not massive fun however revered the food.

When I was travelling in Europe when young, I was staying in dumps, often 1 or 2 star. I still remember them as great trips because there is something fantastic about the first time you spend a few days in Paris etc.

When older, you can go back with your partner, have a more laid back stay, spend more time in the hotel and sightsee less. That is a good time to spend Euro 1000 for George V.

For now, I would get yourself a few credit cards and exploit the free nights. The Hyatt card gets you 2 free nights and the Hyatts in Paris are definitely top of the 2nd division. IC LeGrand is an amazing place and free with the IHG credit card etc.

In a world that is continually getting smaller and cheaper, it is not as if these are going to 'once in a lifetime' experiences.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by fourseasonsguy1
Hi everyone, I'm am going on exchange this fall to Nice, and because of this will have quite a bit of time to travel around Europe and see some different countries. My question to all of you is if you had to pick 3-5 hotels in Europe that you consider must stay hotels, if only for one night in one's life, which would they be? I'm on a relative budget, meaning I would prefer not to spend 1000 or so euros for one night, unless you truly believe it is worth it. For example, I've only ever visited the lobby of the George V and it is a dream property of mine, but would need to hear some confirmation that it's worth it etc. Thanks!
You should definitely stay a night at one of the Paris Palace hotels. My pick would be Le Meurice, especially if you get one of the rooms overlooking the Tuileries (you need an Executive room or higher category, on the fourth floor or higher to get the view over the treeline).

Since you are going to Nice (nice place to go for an exchange by the way), consider the Grand Hotel Cap Ferrat, which is closeby and in a beautiful location on the sublime Cap Ferrat.

A beautiful hotel in a lovely location that you would always remember is the Hotel Splendido in Portofino, which can be reached by a train trip along the coast from Nice to Genoa. Even if you don't stay at the Splendido you should definitely visit Portofino.

I would consider Four Seasons Florence to be right up there too, although without the history attached to the specific property.

You can also stay in some historic hotels which can be an experience, which are not necessarily 'must stays' but which you will remember, such as the Hotel Hassler in Rome or the Danieli in Venice.

As a suggestion though try not to spend too much money at these places. You can always visit to go to the bar if you wish to see a luxury hotel, I did this when I was a student at the Paris Ritz. I find many of these places expensive even on a good banking salary, as a student you can travel comfortably for a lot less. Like with clothes and wine, the law of diminishing returns applies to hotels too. Just because a hotel is 200% the cost of a Hilton does not mean it is 200% better.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a somewhat different take on the same thread, I will suggest seven places (destinations) where you will have a very good and memorable stay and shouldn't need to spend more than 400 EUR a night for a double room including breakfast provided you watch your dates carefully (don't hit the peak seasons):

1) Budapest
2) Prague
3) Cortina
4) Berlin
5) Taormina
6) Dubrovnik* note no great hotel at the moment however the destination is top
7) Vienna

and three Italian destinations where you can blow the bank (including hotel name):
1) Villa Feltrinelli, GARGNANO
2) La Sirenuse, Positano *
3) Aman Canal Grande, Venezia *

*Don't book a lead in room category
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Actually, to be honest, I think you might have set your expectation too high and despite the many great recommendations here, you are probably setting yourself up for disappointment. First I don't think any hotels even the top-rated ones can really guarantee you an "unforgettable experience of a life time" that you will fondly recall for years to come. Having stayed at many many luxury properties in the past, I will say Hotel stays are sometimes kind of roll of the dice. Some might find a particular hotel stay excellent while another forum member will report a terrible stay experience for the exact same property, even for highly rated properties. And you know what? They can be both right at the same time. I have experienced both ends of the spectrum and vast majority of the time, it is somewhere in the middle. Certainly, I rarely got the mind blowing "once of a life time stay experience" that you are seeking. Maybe a couple of times ( not more than 5 ) in my past 10 years of travel and staying at luxury properties.

Also so many other factors come into play, ie the room type you book, the clout of your travel agent, whether you are a repeat guest etc. Most importantly, your expectation and what you perceive as beautiful environment and good service will also greatly influence your ultimate "satisfaction index" with the stay.

Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by Raffles
If this is your first European trip, I would be wary of spending too much. You will be out sightseeing all day, every day. Your time in the hotels will be modest. Eating alone in an expensive luxury hotel restaurant is not massive fun however revered the food.

When I was travelling in Europe when young, I was staying in dumps, often 1 or 2 star. I still remember them as great trips because there is something fantastic about the first time you spend a few days in Paris etc.

When older, you can go back with your partner, have a more laid back stay, spend more time in the hotel and sightsee less. That is a good time to spend Euro 1000 for George V.

For now, I would get yourself a few credit cards and exploit the free nights. The Hyatt card gets you 2 free nights and the Hyatts in Paris are definitely top of the 2nd division. IC LeGrand is an amazing place and free with the IHG credit card etc.

In a world that is continually getting smaller and cheaper, it is not as if these are going to 'once in a lifetime' experiences.

These two both are very insightful responses.

^
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:40 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Europe is always fantastic of course

Switzerland: Do not stay in the backwards looking German part - still upset about the 9 February vote but do not miss:
- Beau Rivage Palace Lausanne with its two Michelin starred Anne Sophie Pic restaurant
- Riffelalp 2222 resort in Zermatt, the manager is the younger son of a hotelier family in Pontresina and left his older brother manage the parent's property. Very good guy.

France:
- Yes, l'Oustau de Baumanière for its unique charm, but stay in the mansion where the two Michelin starred restaurant is located.
- Château de la Treyne, the son is the new president of Relais & Châteaux.
- Maison Bras, this is for me the best restaurant in the world and a spaceship hovering over the Aubrac.

Italy:
- Pelllicano for the food of Antonio Guida, but americanized decoration
- La Posta Vecchia near Rome
- Timeo in Taormina - the style of Orient Express

Greece:
- Katikies where I went thanks to vuittonsofstyle.

Rocco Forte properties in general, they have a fantastic flair.

Just avoid FS properties if you want to be really European, including the Firenze one, especially if you don't like "elevator" music.

Originally Posted by deathscar
What's the opinion on Ciragan Palace?
An ugly modern building, the suites in the original palace are expensive and many functions and groups, the Tugra restaurant in the palace is nice (especially when seated on the balcony outside).

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Interestingly, as I am sure you know, Château de Bagnols opened as an Amanresort - Lady Hamlyn's first choice.
Ousteau de Baumaniere is a nice little restaurant with rooms, but is it so outstanding as to make a visit essential?
Non professionals with money can make nice things happen, but was Bagnols not Relais & Châteaux first? She tried and failed with almost everything. I think the charm and setting of Monsieur Charial's Oustau de Baumanière is outstanding.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I find the Schonburg Castle on the Rhine to be magic..
Not luxury, but unique and the Hüttl family are the most perfect hosts indeed.

Last edited by behuman; Feb 13, 2014 at 7:47 am
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
There may be three FS and the George V in my list but these are not typical FS properties. Each one is unique and special. I'd be happy to stay in any one of them at any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.