Search

IPO or merger for Four Seasons?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:09 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
IPO or merger for Four Seasons?

Al-Waleed is apparently considering an IPO or merger for FS according to this article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...-fairmont.html
Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i was just in toronto, thats where the two companies are, we met both management companies...our objective right now is to grow both companies and have a monetization process, whether IPO, reverse merger or merger...the hotel industry is facing major upside right now. This may go on another three or four years. so there is a window of opportunity for us right now...clearly we’ll defer to management but they have my views very clear
he owns 47.5% of FS and 35.0% of fairmont raffles
met CEOs of both companies (and isadore sharp) >
http://www.kingdom.com.sa/press-media/investor-news

re brand new FS CEO >
http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4062718.html
HOTELS Magazine recently conducted the first interview with Allen Smith since he started his new job on September 23 as president and CEO of Four Seasons
anyone read it?

re fairmont raffles, alwaleed brought up IPO back in 2010 after qatar became largest owner >
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...lion-deal.html
seem to recall he may have brought up IPO before qatar invested as well
qatar is increasing stake, buying colony stake would take them to 62% >
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/qatar...ke-501315.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 22, 2013 at 6:11 pm
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Can't see how any of this will be good news for us.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
he owns 47.5% of FS and 35.0% of fairmont raffles
met CEOs of both companies (and isadore sharp) >
http://www.kingdom.com.sa/press-media/investor-news

re brand new FS CEO >
http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4062718.html

anyone read it?
Yes, I did read the Allen Smith interview - not sure it actually said anything!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:25 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ainternational
Can't see how any of this will be good news for us.
Curious why you say that? FS had been public for many years.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Curious why you say that? FS had been public for many years.
It used to be public, then Issy took it private again - I think just prior to the Alwaleed Bill Gates buyout.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:25 am

It was public buy Issy controlled it. If Gates and Al Waleed take it public again, it is an exit scenario. I believe the concern among us is the "cheapening" of the product.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by speedbird001
It was public buy Issy controlled it. If Gates and Al Waleed take it public again, it is an exit scenario. I believe the concern among us is the "cheapening" of the product.
100% correct.

Having worked with a number of clients who have gone private and then re-emerged as public entities, generally this has worked out great for the LBO firm / investors and negatively for the end customers.

In my experience, there are generally cost cutting measures going into effect to improve the financials which usually means higher rates or inferior end product. Sure there may be efficiencies to be had around internal organization and process, but ultimately the end product usually suffers.

Once they are public again, then there is increased scrutiny on financial metrics as well as pressure from the street regarding earnings, margins, etc etc.

Granted I am speaking in stereotypes here, but as I originally said, I can't see how this is good for any of us. I hope to be proven wrong.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by speedbird001
FS isn't very "un-cheap" to start with, so I'm not sure why this would be a worry.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
FS isn't very "un-cheap" to start with, so I'm not sure why this would be a worry.
So, canceling your double-negative, you're saying FS is cheap?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Concern of public versus private

Having a more diversified ownership base with open financial results is more likely than not to result in Four Seasons as a brand doing even more to strengthen the quality of the guest experiences, so we will come back and spend more...to increase their profit (and have a better quality of life for themselves and their family). Even for the employees this is true...Four Seasons, has demonstrated a higher rate of return from investment, when you invest more in your employees and your guests.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Cheapness here doesn't refer to price. It refers to quality of product.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Having a more diversified ownership base with open financial results is more likely than not to result in Four Seasons as a brand doing even more to strengthen the quality of the guest experiences, so we will come back and spend more...to increase their profit (and have a better quality of life for themselves and their family). Even for the employees this is true...Four Seasons, has demonstrated a higher rate of return from investment, when you invest more in your employees and your guests.
I hope you are right. My experience predicts otherwise.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
Cheapness here doesn't refer to price. It refers to quality of product.
I get that.

Either way, I find it a bit head-scratching to say FS (as a whole) is cheap, in any sense of the word.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
strengthen the quality of the guest experiences, so we will come back and spend more
larger hotels with higher occupancy is cutting costs, not increasing costs.

"I'm not sure why this would be a worry" = does not consider service/quality and what they cost, and cost-cutting.
edit - ah, gegarrenton may also have been referring to FS having larger hotels with higher occupancy and lower rates.

quality has to be expensive, but expensive does not mean quality. and luxury hotels are low margin. sometimes because of debt, seems that is the case for aman. - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...arn-money.html

there has been no good news re ownership of FS or aman - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...sons-vibe.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 3, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.