Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Brando (French Polynesia)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThudAndBlunder
There was quite a big write-up in the Financial Times this weekend, covering the history of the project and a visit to the resort (paywalled): FT write-up
google bypasses paywall >
http://www.google.com/search?q=marlo...comes+a+resort

Tetiaroa – a collection of 12 motus, or islets, protected by a coral reef...coral atoll...encircled by a 30km-long reef.
http://www.departures.com/articles/b...etiaroa-island

http://thebrando.com/in-the-press/
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:01 am

I find these quotes worrisome, if not outright depressing:

"It is, however, the resort part that I find a bit underwhelming. All this crazy beauty yet the development’s design, while respectfully low-lying, has failed to retain much of the location’s natural spirit. The manicuring is too tidy, the sand too raked. At lunch, the tinkling of recorded music interferes with the pounding of the surf. The contemporary loungers and beanbags feel like they might belong to any generic beach hotel."

and,

"The most disappointing part is the accommodation. It’s not the slightly bland aesthetic of my €3,000-a-night villa, all taupe and neat-edged perfection, with two TVs and high-speed WiFi. Nor is it the view – all villas look out on blistering white beach. But, noticing pandanus leaves moving in the wind beside my plunge pool, I want to let the breeze into my bedroom. Forget it. The window doesn’t open, and though there are two narrow floor-to-ceiling panels, one won’t open beyond 45 degrees."
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I was recently at the Four Seasons Bora Bora, and I was shocked that the main restaurant constantly played some sort of euro-pop music for almost our entire stay. The only local music we heard in the resort was for weddings and on Polynesian Night!

I've been to Turtle Island Fiji a number of times, and they have no piped-in music. It's all made by the staff, on real instruments. That's how it should be done at a high end resort.

Perhaps this is a French Polynesia thing?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
I was recently at the Four Seasons Bora Bora, and I was shocked that the main restaurant constantly played some sort of euro-pop music for almost our entire stay. The only local music we heard in the resort was for weddings and on Polynesian Night!

I've been to Turtle Island Fiji a number of times, and they have no piped-in music. It's all made by the staff, on real instruments. That's how it should be done at a high end resort.

Perhaps this is a French Polynesia thing?
I stayed a year after opening at Four Seasons Bora Bora and back then they only played local Polynesian music. Even though it was more or less the same every day, it was a nice touch and added to the stunning vistas. A year later, they had switched to pop music.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a thread on "The Brando," which apparently no one from this forum has stayed at yet. Let's keep on topic, however, and hopefully eventually someone will stay there and report on it!

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

I'm willing to stay at The Brando. I'm just waiting for them to make me an offer I can't refuse.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
If all give a few $$ I volunteer to test it
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:10 pm

Our travel photos of the Brando
http://samyoyobelinda.com/tahiti2014...otogallery.htm

https://www.facebook.com/IslandChicbySamyoyoBelinda
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, Belinda Young. I am going to leave your first post as is but please note for future posts that FT rules require that the post stand on its own and not simply be a reference to a blog or Facebook page.

Thanks!

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:24 am

I'm guessing that English may not be the first language of Belinda Young despite the Western sounding handle! I can see photos on FB but not on the blog.

Great travels though by looking at the places visited previously. And welcome to Flyertalk Belinda - hope you stay around and post more.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:02 am

For anyone like me who can't see the photos from the website on their iPad - here are the photos on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/samyoy...7646698957410/
Looks stunning!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

They look indeed nice
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
They look indeed nice

I hope you're referring to the beach and the hotel!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I hope you're referring to the beach and the hotel!
Yes
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Obviously a game changer for French Polynesia, though it remains to be seen if sufficient numbers want to play. Those rather Disneyfied honeymoon conveyor belts on Bora Bora seem to have things sewn up and this place seems a bit too classy for newly-weds from Minnesota. Dontcha think?

Last edited by Pausanias; Sep 25, 2014 at 7:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.