Search

10-year anniversary trip August 2024

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
10-year anniversary trip August 2024

Hi all,

My wife (40) and I (44) are celebrating our 10th year anniversary. We are based in Miami and want to go on a short 3-night getaway without the kids. I was thinking Punta Mita, Mayakoba or St Barths, or another Caribbean Island (excluding D.R., PR, USVI and Bahamas). We haven't been to any of those locations but have been to other Caribbean islands (my family has owned homes in Casa de Campo and Punta Cana) as well as Cabo in Mexico. I would like to ideally keep the nightly rate below 1,500 so based on pricing for August 8-11 that probably excludes FS Punta Mita. So below are my top choices, based on recommendations and online research. Please feel free to offer alternatives and your personal preferences. Idea is to have a nice large room (jacuzzi or pool a plus), good beach and good food.

Mexico
Rosewood Mayakabo
St Regis Punta Mita
One and Only Madarina

St Barth
Le Sereno
Cheval Blanc
Le Barthelemy

Randoms
FS Anguilla
Secret Bay Dominica
Ritz Turks and Caicos
Park Hyatt St. Kitts

Appreciate your help!
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:19 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by esmalley007
Hi all,

My wife (40) and I (44) are celebrating our 10th year anniversary. We are based in Miami and want to go on a short 3-night getaway without the kids. I was thinking Punta Mita, Mayakoba or St Barths, or another Caribbean Island (excluding D.R., PR, USVI and Bahamas). We haven't been to any of those locations but have been to other Caribbean islands (my family has owned homes in Casa de Campo and Punta Cana) as well as Cabo in Mexico. I would like to ideally keep the nightly rate below 1,500 so based on pricing for August 8-11 that probably excludes FS Punta Mita. So below are my top choices, based on recommendations and online research. Please feel free to offer alternatives and your personal preferences. Idea is to have a nice large room (jacuzzi or pool a plus), good beach and good food.

Mexico
Rosewood Mayakabo
St Regis Punta Mita
One and Only Madarina

St Barth
Le Sereno
Cheval Blanc
Le Barthelemy

Randoms
FS Anguilla
Secret Bay Dominica
Ritz Turks and Caicos
Park Hyatt St. Kitts

Appreciate your help!
Flight time to Caribbean from Miami would seem most attractive. I am mad for Cap Juluca on Anguilla and don’t think any other venue on the island matches up. Puerto Vallarta seems a long haul for three days but some folk don’t mind long flights (I’m a wuss).
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
Flight time to Caribbean from Miami would seem most attractive. I am mad for Cap Juluca on Anguilla and don’t think any other venue on the island matches up. Puerto Vallarta seems a long haul for three days but some folk don’t mind long flights (I’m a wuss).
Thanks for the recommendation. You bring up a good point on flight time. I just noticed the with connection its 6+ hours from Miami to Vallarta. Mayakoba or Caribbean would make more sense.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I have been hearing great things about Rosewood Little Dix Bay and I think AA has a direct from Mini to Tortola.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:16 pm
Original Member

Also, congratulations!
Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: all of 'em.
Originally Posted by KatW
I regret I have but one 'plus-one' to give Cap Juluca (for my flyer talk) - I'd give a zillion.

Got engaged there, 2 or 3 owner/mngmt regimes ago.
Most recent visit (w/now wife!) just after Belmond took over. The hard product has always been excellent, and has only been improved upon. Also one of the very best beaches in this region (carib/gulf). Right up there with LDB, coco point, best of the best.

Of the others you mentioned, i have stayed at Rosewood Mayakoba and Le Bart. I loved both, though for your purposes here the latter might have a tiny edge - former might be slightly 'better' for families or couples w kids than out-and-out romance.

Enjoy, and bigtime mazels on the anniversary!
KatW likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Cap Juluca is gorgeous, but I wasn’t crazy about the food. The good news is that there are other good restaurants on the island.
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:02 am

There are no direct flights for Miami to St Barth. You’ll have to connect in San Juan or St Marteen (the latter also offers boat connections). Also St Barth isn’t necessarily a destination where you don’t leave the hotel. True to FT I think some of the St Barth hotels are on Mr and Mrs Smith so you could potentially earn Hyatt points.

The drive to PH St Kitts, and the property itself is gorgeous. The view of the sister island from the resort is amazing. There are also fun activities to do on the island. You will be mostly isolated except for the few restaurants and beach next door (easy 5-10min walk). However, the PH beach isn’t the best. You could head over to the separate thread on this property on the Hyatt forum.

Also August is the time of year you may potentially run into hurricane season so I’m not sure if that could sway your decision on which Caribbean destination you’d like to visit.

congrats on the 10 years!

Last edited by nas6034; Dec 15, 2023 at 3:09 am
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:21 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by nas6034
There are no direct flights for Miami to St Barth. You’ll have to connect in San Juan or St Marteen (the latter also offers boat connections). Also St Barth isn’t necessarily a destination where you don’t leave the hotel. True to FT I think some of the St Barth hotels are on Mr and Mrs Smith so you could potentially earn Hyatt points.

The drive to PH St Kitts, and the property itself is gorgeous. The view of the sister island from the resort is amazing. There are also fun activities to do on the island. You will be mostly isolated except for the few restaurants and beach next door (easy 5-10min walk). However, the PH beach isn’t the best. You could head over to the separate thread on this property on the Hyatt forum.

Also August is the time of year you may potentially run into hurricane season so I’m not sure if that could sway your decision on which Caribbean destination you’d like to visit.

congrats on the 10 years!
Given August is hurricane season that should really help your prices though. You should have a good idea of forecast in the day or two ahead and could change dates at the last minute as needed.
KatW and cornwall4000 like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hi all,

Mexico
Rosewood Mayakabo
St Regis Punta Mita
One and Only Madarina

St Barth
Le Sereno
Cheval Blanc
Le Barthelemy

Randoms
FS Anguilla
Secret Bay Dominica
Ritz Turks and Caicos
Park Hyatt St. Kitts

Appreciate your help!
I’ve been to Rosewood Mayakoba and Park Hyatt St. Kitt’s from your list. For direct flights from MIA for a 3 night stay in the Caribbean on an island I would recommend:
Como Parrot Cay
Hermitage Bay
Jade Mountain
Amanera

If you prefer to do Mexico, then Rosewood Mayakoba or Hotel Esencia.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
As mentioned above, the timing of your trip is important. i think St Barths is largely closed in August, so even if the hotel is open I would probably skip since a lot will be closed.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
As mentioned above, the timing of your trip is important. i think St Barths is largely closed in August, so even if the hotel is open I would probably skip since a lot will be closed.
From what I've read it closed down at the end of August, I am planning on going the 8-11, or am I mistaken?

Originally Posted by threepointkid
I’ve been to Rosewood Mayakoba and Park Hyatt St. Kitt’s from your list. For direct flights from MIA for a 3 night stay in the Caribbean on an island I would recommend:
Como Parrot Cay
Hermitage Bay
Jade Mountain
Amanera

If you prefer to do Mexico, then Rosewood Mayakoba or Hotel Esencia.
I have been to Amanera. I will look at the other options. Which would you say has the nicer beach?

Originally Posted by Ericka
Given August is hurricane season that should really help your prices though. You should have a good idea of forecast in the day or two ahead and could change dates at the last minute as needed.
That's what I'm thinking. Based in Miami we are subject to the same hurrican season and can make changes rather quickly if needed.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 16, 2023 at 9:29 am Reason: Please do not make consecutive posts, this violates flyertalk rules.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have been to Amanera. I will look at the other options. Which would you say has the nicer beach?
The beach was excellent at Como Parrot Cay. I really want to try Mandarin Oriental Canouan, but probably doesn’t make sense given it’s just a 3 day trip.
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: all of 'em.
Originally Posted by Ericka
Have to say, as a lifelong nyc person, i've been all over the caribbean and have rolled the 'hurricane season' dice so many times.
Some majority of my visits, probably.

And I've yet to be burned. It certainly can happen, And certainly seems to happen more frequently now than earlier in my life.
Has happened a few times to friends/associates.

But other than perhaps more rain or stormier seas than we hoped to see, no trip there has ever been less enjoyable than trips during high season. Let alone shortened, abandoned, relocated.

That said, it obviously happens, and should well be taken into account as a real risk for such an important/milestone trip.

Have to plus1 Jade Mountain. It's a really soecial hotel experience. Not sure if 1500 night is realistic there for a premium view/pool room. That would get you top-notch villa at Ladera next door, an equally beautiful and beguiling hotel if less 'luxury'.
Both are extremely romantic and anniversary-ready locations, But neither strike me as places you go 'for the beach'. Jade's beach is down the mountain with Anse Chastenet's - a lovely natural black-sand one. Ladera uses Viceroy's imported white-sand Sugar Beach.

If beach is among top priorities, i think Anguilla or Playa del Carmen options discussed above may be best bet. Or T&C.
Escencia is top notch. In that neck of woods, might also want to consider Thompson PDC as well. Like Ladera next to Jade Mountain in St Lucia, that Thompson is not tippest toppest luxe, but also considerably less 'hyped' than some other Thompsons. It's an exceptionally verdant, romantic, sexy place.
Beach not fantastic or ultra wide.
Also, like its neighbors, there are wafts of party music in the distance at night.
The Mayakoba complex will largely solve this, but you give up ease/distance of beach.

Last edited by cornwall4000; Dec 15, 2023 at 2:28 pm
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:25 am

August is terrible for most places, especially the Caribbean. Bermuda? Very easy access for a three-day hop and fine weather at that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.