Wiki Posts
Search

Montreal Boutique for 1st Time Visitors

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Montreal Boutique for 1st Time Visitors

Hello all:

My wife and I, both in our early 30s, will be traveling to Montreal in July for our 6-year wedding anniversary. We have decided to spend our week-long vacation in Old Montreal. I have done a great deal of research regarding the Old Montreal Boutique hotels, but I am unsure of which one to select from the following:

Le Petit Hotel
Le Place d'Armes Hotel
Hotel Gault
Le Saint Sulpice
Hotel Nelligan

What do you all think?
Old May 8, 2013, 1:55 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Paging ABG, our resident Montreal expert!!
Old May 8, 2013, 2:39 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Why don't you have the St James or Ritz Carlton on your list? (Yes I know Ritz isn't in Old Montreal, but the distance isn't crazy)

Keeping just to your list i'd book, if budget permits, Nelligan or Place Armes suites with a balcony. Otherwise, Saint Sulpice has a lot of deluxe suites (all suite property) that have small balconies. I think Gault has some balconies too, but i don't love the style even though the owner is a friend

I love Montreal... but a week in July might be a little long. You might want to consider heading out of town for 2 nights or so in the middle or even up to Quebec City for a night

Last edited by ABG; May 8, 2013 at 2:58 pm Reason: typo
Old May 8, 2013, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

ABG, thanks for responding. Is the St James or Ritz Carlton significantly better than the hotels I listed? Money is of no concern so I'd consider them if much better than the boutiques. FYI - we will partake in the International Jazz Festival festivities. With that in mind, should I focus more on the downtown hotels?
Old May 8, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USAJags21
ABG, thanks for responding. Is the St James or Ritz Carlton significantly better than the hotels I listed? Money is of no concern so I'd consider them if much better than the boutiques. FYI - we will partake in the International Jazz Festival festivities. With that in mind, should I focus more on the downtown hotels?
I have stayed at Place Armes suites which are quite nice for hard product and a standard 4 star for service. The Ritz after the refurbishment is quite interesting.
Old May 9, 2013, 1:21 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Ok... Didn't think you were doing jazz fest as it starts in late June. I guess that could be good for the full week.

Ritz Carlton hard product on rooms, especially at suite level and F&B is very very good. The outdoor garden is great for breakfast. Service can still be iffy but its being worked on. St James has a lot of very stylish rooms and great service. No outdoor areas.

Staying with boutique.. i'd take a Nelligan 1 bedroom suite. Perhaps they have one with a view of the weekly fireworks display. Lots of fun places to eat in the Old City
Old May 11, 2013, 7:21 pm

Nelligan

Stay at the Nelligan for 3 nights and then go up to Quebec for 3 nights at the Auberge Saint Antoine.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:25 pm

And while youre there, be sure to have a cocktail on the Nelligan's rooftop deck. Two Montreal dining recommendations are a) Le Maitre and b) Taverne; both are in Monkland village and will truly let you rub elbows with the locals.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by ABG
Why don't you have the St James or Ritz Carlton on your list? (Yes I know Ritz isn't in Old Montreal, but the distance isn't crazy)

Keeping just to your list i'd book, if budget permits, Nelligan or Place Armes suites with a balcony. Otherwise, Saint Sulpice has a lot of deluxe suites (all suite property) that have small balconies. I think Gault has some balconies too, but i don't love the style even though the owner is a friend

I love Montreal... but a week in July might be a little long. You might want to consider heading out of town for 2 nights or so in the middle or even up to Quebec City for a night
A chirp for Gault. It is the only one on that list where the design is actually interesting. Service is also very good. It is very much a question of taste, but I always choose that over the others. Nelligan for me is too deep in the heart of touristy land in Old Montreal. I would avoid Place d'Armes.

Haven't stayed at the Ritz since the reno.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.