Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanresorts Thread 2013 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2013 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
In Tokyo, nice of the view of the Imperial Gardens, which is about as beautiful a natural setting as you can get.
Or of the Office building next door..
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Blackbook
Or of the Office building next door..
Maybe! We'll see.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: Miles & More, Hyatt Gold Passport
If the boat pick up includes the hostess+luggage porter, im my opinion the rates are reasonable, even from the train station...
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by 5khours
In Tokyo, nice of the view of the Imperial Gardens, which is about as beautiful a natural setting as you can get.
While I think that would be great, something tells me it may be a bit outside of town? I hope not, but we shall see..
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: Miles & More, Hyatt Gold Passport

Aman Cavtat - Rendering from local media

Edit:

Seems that i'm too stupid to post the picture here; please check on following link:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...28184&page=182
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

just reposted tokyo again in new aman thread

ill be posting some on venice (info from aman) in my thread, instead of this thread

http://www.cntraveler.com/food/2013/...acific-islands

12. Amandari
Bali
Food score: 96.3
Restaurants: 1
Rooms: 30
Signature dish: The Balinese Feast ($108).
Don't miss: The complimentary coconut sorbet served poolside.
(Entrées from $17)

27. Amanyara
Turks and Caicos
Food score: 92.6
Restaurants: 2
Rooms: 58
Signature dish: Lobster and cherry tomatoes in yellow curry ($67).
Don't miss: Breakfast and dinner are included if you book a pavilion or villa for four nights—a significant savings.
(Entrées from $41)
print had chef table thing including amandari, but not online?

opened on a whim in a waiting area today instead of reading departures i brought.
qasr al sarab on cover caught my attention, great pic, matched Groombridge's

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 11, 2013 at 11:12 pm
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:58 am

Just toured the Amantaka in Luong Prabong about a week ago. The property is nice although it sits across the street from essentially a slum. The rooms are nice, the pool is nice, and the spa is especially nice. But how they can charge 4x more than a similar property is beyond me. When we toured the place was dead. Maybe 30% full. Maybe. Overall, it's overrated. I would not have felt like i got value at the price paid vs. competition in LP. Ill visit the Aman property in Siem Reap tomorrow.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Just toured the Amantaka in Luong Prabong about a week ago. The property is nice although it sits across the street from essentially a slum. The rooms are nice, the pool is nice, and the spa is especially nice. But how they can charge 4x more than a similar property is beyond me. When we toured the place was dead. Maybe 30% full. Maybe. Overall, it's overrated. I would not have felt like i got value at the price paid vs. competition in LP. Ill visit the Aman property in Siem Reap tomorrow.
Hmm.. I am not sure I saw any slums at all near the Aman in LP and thought it was very nice. The Hotel de la Paix is nearby (about a 10 minute walk) and is also very nice in the pool suites yet doesn't have the atmosphere or service the Aman does. I don't know about the occupancy levels yet in general except for a few periods in low seasons LP is very full.

I guess everyone has their own opinions- one of the things that make Flyertalk and visiting new places so interesting.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:29 am

It's hard to describe the area directly across from the hotel but suffice it to say like all of LP, its riddled with houses that resemble what Americans would call "shanty towns" from the Great Depression. Like all of LP, its hard to wrap your mind around a hotel whose nightly rate is likely greater than the annual income of its LP neighbors. And I'm a luxe travel lover. I just thought that its over priced. Similar service and luxe can be had for $250 per night vs. $1,000. That's all I'm saying.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:42 am

I respectfully disagree about your comments on Amantaka. We stayed 5 nights there in Feb and thought the price was well justified considering the ambience, service and cultural experiences it offered. I agree, situated on the main thoroughfare in Luang Prabang, its location may not be perfect (a riverside spot may offer better view and atmosphere). However I would hardly classify its immediate area as a slum! The houses immediately opposite to Amantaka are actually hotels/guestshouses I believe...

The property was beautifully restored from a former French hospital, hence its central location, and maintained much of its colonial charm. We believe the main draw of the resort was the range of bespoke cultural experiences on offer. I doubt many hotels in LP can arrange a traditional Baci ceremony performed by a former prince, a private boat tour down the Mekong to meet a photographer renowned for Laotian Buddhist portraitures in his residence, far flung hill tribe villages untainted by mass tourism....

We actually preferred to stay at Amans during shoulder season to take advantage of the relatively low occupancy rate and soak in the peaceful atmosphere. If we wanted a more crowded environs, it is easy to get down to the night marker for some shoulder-to-shoulder dining or morning alms offering with hoards of tourists.
Gary the Gm leads a fantastic team there which offers warm and attentive service, which may be difficult for you to experience during a quick property visit.

Amansara is similar to Amantaka in a way that its value lies in its unparalleled service and bespoke excursions (we hardly met any tourists at Angkor Wat and Bayon for example). The property itself was restored from a former King's residence where Jackie O stayed before the Khmer rouge's days. It is an intimate property and the rooms are relatively "small" for Aman standard. The rotunda dining/living room is beautiful though. Hope you'll enjoy your tour there!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
It's hard to describe the area directly across from the hotel but suffice it to say like all of LP, its riddled with houses that resemble what Americans would call "shanty towns" from the Great Depression. Like all of LP, its hard to wrap your mind around a hotel whose nightly rate is likely greater than the annual income of its LP neighbors. And I'm a luxe travel lover. I just thought that its over priced. Similar service and luxe can be had for $250 per night vs. $1,000. That's all I'm saying.
Originally Posted by halibahs
I respectfully disagree about your comments on Amantaka. We stayed 5 nights there in Feb and thought the price was well justified considering the ambience, service and cultural experiences it offered. I agree, situated on the main thoroughfare in Luang Prabang, its location may not be perfect (a riverside spot may offer better view and atmosphere). However I would hardly classify its immediate area as a slum! The houses immediately opposite to Amantaka are actually hotels/guestshouses I believe...

The property was beautifully restored from a former French hospital, hence its central location, and maintained much of its colonial charm. We believe the main draw of the resort was the range of bespoke cultural experiences on offer. I doubt many hotels in LP can arrange a traditional Baci ceremony performed by a former prince, a private boat tour down the Mekong to meet a photographer renowned for Laotian Buddhist portraitures in his residence, far flung hill tribe villages untainted by mass tourism....

We actually preferred to stay at Amans during shoulder season to take advantage of the relatively low occupancy rate and soak in the peaceful atmosphere. If we wanted a more crowded environs, it is easy to get down to the night marker for some shoulder-to-shoulder dining or morning alms offering with hoards of tourists.
Gary the Gm leads a fantastic team there which offers warm and attentive service, which may be difficult for you to experience during a quick property visit.

Amansara is similar to Amantaka in a way that its value lies in its unparalleled service and bespoke excursions (we hardly met any tourists at Angkor Wat and Bayon for example). The property itself was restored from a former King's residence where Jackie O stayed before the Khmer rouge's days. It is an intimate property and the rooms are relatively "small" for Aman standard. The rotunda dining/living room is beautiful though. Hope you'll enjoy your tour there!
Thanks halibahs & TRAVELSIG

^

Agree with you

' Touring ' an Aman , in low season no less, is definitely not experiencing what Aman is . One has to stay or at least , have a meal
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:13 am

No need for arguement here. I just think you you underestimate the quality of service at the $300 per night hotels. As for the excursions, I am sure they are great. But with all due respect, you don't need to spend thousands to do it. For example, we spent a day on a working rice farm with a great tour that was private and amazing. We also bought books from a local vendor, hired a tuk tuk driver to take us "out of town" and gave books to orphans in a nearby village. An amazing experience. Total cost was $20.

I'm not saying the Amantaka isn't great. I'm just questioning if its great value. For full disclosure, I gave it serious consideration. I'm glad we opted for elsewhere. One night at Amantaka = 4 nights at Luomg Say Residence.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:35 am

No need for arguement here. I just think you you underestimate the quality of service at the $300 per night hotels. As for the excursions, I am sure they are great. But with all due respect, you don't need to spend thousands to do it. For example, we spent a day on a working rice farm with a great tour that was private and amazing. We also bought books from a local vendor, hired a tuk tuk driver to take us "out of town" and gave books to orphans in a nearby village. An amazing experience. Total cost was $20.

I'm not saying the Amantaka isn't great. I'm just questioning if its great value. For full disclosure, I gave it serious consideration. I'm glad we opted for elsewhere. One night at Amantaka = 4 nights at Luomg Say Residence.
I always find 'touring' properties a different experience than staying at one. I don't think anyone doubts that you can receive decent service at a more down-market luxury hotel and the Luomg looks to be a great value.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:45 am

You cannot 'visit' an Aman - you have to stay. Only then do you get it. Amantaka is exceptional, as is Amansara and most of the other Amans - but you do need to experience them.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP

I'm glad you had a great stay in LP, it's a lovely place. However, as others have said, I don't think it is fair to judge Amantaka without having stayed there. In any case, to each their own

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.