Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Siam quick review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amanaddicted,

to clarify, i agree that even though your report is for soft opening, that management response is always relevant. in terms of service recovery, in the event of a serious service failure during stay, especially when paying a high rate of $1000 plus. would be nice to see more discussion of things like service recovery on forum, even if totally unspecific.

Originally Posted by Amanaddicted
yes I had reported all the issues during the stay
so there was also no/poor response from staff/management during stay - service problems in addition to GM.

I've compared the soft opening of The Siam with the one of Amantaka where I've been as well during soft opening but at Taka, everything was almost perfect already.
not only was amantaka aman, it had this >
Originally Posted by Groombridge
I’d never met Gary Tyson, Amantaka’s General Manager, before this stay, but given what he’s accomplished at Amantaka, he is someone we will now follow to whatever resort he happens to oversee. What he has done in creating service standards of the utmost polish and skill in a location where there was no former 5-star experience from which to draw, is astounding. (And if you get a chance, have him tell you about the process he went through of hiring and training new employees in a “fake Amantaka” he created to serve as a training site during the construction of the resort.)

Aman resorts have spoiled many of us by setting the highest bar in the world for service and housekeeping standards, and even within this stiff competition, Amantaka rises to the very top.
and, depending on when you went >
Originally Posted by namaguide
I was the week before she was arriving at Amantaka and the whole resort was in a military operation to clean and tidy everything. I asked the GM what was going on and he said that they were preparing for Lyn's arrival
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I did not get the sense that anyone was defending the hotel or the GM.

The Siam remains highly regarded by well traveled forum regulars, so clearly the GM is getting some things right...
i dont think 100% of prior siam reports were 100% positive.

prior mixed comments for GM when he was elsewhere >

Originally Posted by irish mark
self-assured type of guy but seemed to be on top of his game
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I found him a little insincere
he was not at all visible at Qualia
Originally Posted by zigzag
friends...never saw the GM. One of the guides said to them " I'm sure you met Jason by now" and the guide did not know what to say when they told him no. Amazing to me was their teenage son became very ill and needed a doctor and the GM never checked in on them. I am sure he must have been away as I don't think he would ignore them with a sick teenager, yet their guide asked them if they met Jason after their first day so.....
Originally Posted by jkirk
GM...never could be bothered to even say hello. We saw him shmoozing another couple in the bar one night. We saw him having dinner one night...staff pointed out the villa where the GM ("who I'm sure you've met by now") and his family live. When we said no, we hadn't met him the staffer was visibly embarassed
some of that is similar to some of the discussion of robyn @ aman india (except re the sick teenage son)

i wonder if there are any similarities to kurt @ MO BKK, in terms of how they perceive and judge different guests

speaking of kurt - possible similarities at siam >
atmosphere very snobbish. I've the impression if you're not a pop star or somebody well known by the management, they really don't treat you like a VIP

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 5, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:12 am

When the Siam soft opened only the pool villas were available. The suites in the main building were boarded off and there was some dust due to ongoing construction there. Equally, the Café and Curio shop were under construction, as were some of the 'museum' rooms.

It is now finished, but even at this stage they are tweaking things to make them work better - like the bath house in the spa.

They probably opened too early, although my experience of The Siam was very good indeed. It was even better this year.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:57 pm

I returned to The Siam for an inspection when I was staying at MO at the beginning of 2013 and even if it was certainly better than during my stay during the soft opening, it was still far from perfect. Maintenance doesn't seem to be something they care cause I've detected several piece of furniture already scratched or messed up and cleanliness was not as great as you can expect in an hotel like this one.
Most of the staff were nice and I really like their chic uniform but no one from the management was visible and I feel the atmosphere very snobbish.
I've the impression if you're not a pop star or somebody well known by the management, they really don't treat you like a VIP and in an hotel pretending to be the best of Bangkok, each guest has to be treated as a VIP.
Maybe with a new management, this hotel would be able to be a real gem...

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
When the Siam soft opened only the pool villas were available. The suites in the main building were boarded off and there was some dust due to ongoing construction there. Equally, the Café and Curio shop were under construction, as were some of the 'museum' rooms.

It is now finished, but even at this stage they are tweaking things to make them work better - like the bath house in the spa.

They probably opened too early, although my experience of The Siam was very good indeed. It was even better this year.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:47 am

I returned to The Siam for an inspection when I was staying at MO at the beginning of 2013 and even if it was certainly better than during my stay during the soft opening, it was still far from perfect. Maintenance doesn't seem to be something they care cause I've detected several piece of furniture already scratched or messed up and cleanliness was not as great as you can expect in an hotel like this one.
Most of the staff were nice and I really like their chic uniform but no one from the management was visible and I feel the atmosphere very snobbish.
I've the impression if you're not a pop star or somebody well known by the management, they really don't treat you like a VIP and in an hotel pretending to be the best of Bangkok, each guest has to be treated as a VIP.
Maybe with a new management, this hotel would be able to be a real gem...
Interesting you say this, as many Aman management stay here now. Like them, I don't find it at all pretentious. Siam Management is never around 100% of the time - like everyone else in the hotel industry, they go on sales trips and such throughout the year.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 6, 2013 at 6:25 am
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:26 pm

Most of them are ultra pretentious, not friendly at all and I'm afraid they lost everything they learned at Aman... Sorry not to share your opinion but this hotel could be much better if it was better managed by people working with heart and not only for money...

Interesting you say this, as many Aman management stay here now. Like them, I don't find it at all pretentious. Siam Management is never around 100% of the time - like everyone else in the hotel industry, they go on sales trips and such throughout the year.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:02 pm

I had a similar experience at The Siam couple of weeks ago. I exchanged a couple of emails with the GM 10 days before checking in and he said that he would welcome me personally.
I only saw him once during my stay and that was just a couple of hours before checking out. He never introduced himself, never talked to me or even left a card welcoming me.
Still I really had a wonderful time at The Siam but I found his behaviour a bit odd.

Last edited by Revolution; Nov 5, 2013 at 2:11 pm
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:05 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Most of them are ultra pretentious, not friendly at all and I'm afraid they lost everything they learned at Aman... Sorry not to share your opinion but this hotel could be much better if it was better managed by people working with heart and not only for money...
I've been following this closely since I may have the opportunity to visit the hotel next year - and this generalization confuses me.

I think vuittonsofstyle was indicating that the current people who are part of Aman management stay there. And if, as you indicate, current Aman management are 'ultra pretentious' and 'not friendly', this probably doesn't bode well for Aman going forward (since these would be the people controlling the future and the culture of Aman). If this is true, Amanaddicted, you may not be addicted to Aman for very much longer.

On another note, I stayed at FS Tented Camp while Jason was the manager and I found him to be very personable and competent.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amanaddicted was referring only to siam "management" (only specifically mentions GM) not aman
aa213bb noted jason was at "Amandari back in the early '00s" - Amanaddicted also referenced this

sounds to me like some problematic comments from GM, but also some style differences and miscommunication as well.
the comments i quoted re jason remind me of some quotes re robyn and kurt.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Revolution
I had a similar experience at The Siam couple of weeks ago. I exchanged a couple of emails with the GM 10 days before checking in and he said that he would welcome me personally.
I only saw him once during my stay and that was just a couple of hours before checking out. He never introduced himself, never talked to me or even left a card welcoming me.
Still I really had a wonderful time at The Siam but I found his behaviour a bit odd.
Hmmm....not good. I think Jason needs a Hotel Manager as he is very 'broad brushstroke' in management style!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm....not good. I think Jason needs a Hotel Manager as he is very 'broad brushstroke' in management style!
do you see any comparison (style etc) between Jason Friedman and Robyn Bickford (and possibly Kurt Wachtveitl) ?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
do you see any comparison (style etc) between Jason Friedman and Robyn Bickford (and possibly Kurt Wachtveitl) ?
Not really, Kage. You are talking about three VERY different people. Just about every GM gets accused of being 'not there' or 'not attentive' and it is probably true that all can be accused of being less than diligent at some point. The trouble is, this colours a guest's view of everything, if they expect to see/meet the GM.

I have had really great stays at hotels when the GM was away, but equally I have had really bad stays, too. I don't think you can make rules about it.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
I am a complete nobody. Not rich, not famous. Even so, we were treated with exceptional warmth and kindness by everyone at the Siam, including the GM (and Donald Wong, and our butler North, and every staff member whom we encountered). While I don't mean to doubt the sincerity of your grievance, it is so far removed from what I experienced that I feel compelled to offer this counterpoint.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really, Kage. You are talking about three VERY different people.
Originally Posted by bahamaman
it is so far removed from what I experienced
>

sounds to me like some problematic comments from GM, but also some style differences and miscommunication as well. the comments i quoted re jason remind me of some quotes re robyn and kurt.
there are posts on the forum that describe similar interactions. (not focusing on lack of interaction.) i also received a PM that confirmed several of my general impressions. sometimes there may be service "style" clashes as well as misunderstandings. i would think at least some tailoring to guest preferences is part of service. probably arguable. however, there are things in terms of professionalism standards, especially in service, that should remain constants.

interactions with jason >

Originally Posted by irish mark
self-assured type of guy
I found him a little insincere
almost treated us like people who never travel in luxurious hotels...he didn't even try to apologize
Originally Posted by Revolution
I exchanged a couple of emails with the GM 10 days before checking in and he said that he would welcome me personally.

I found his behaviour a bit odd.
last quote is vuittonsofstyle, who had good stay at siam, and i think everyone who stayed at FS tented camp under jason had amazing stay there. i linked two quotes specifically about jason at FS tented camp. in other words, the GM interaction as an issue separate from stay. note the only thing Amanaddicted has so far been more specific about is interaction with GM AFTER stay. as the thing that was most problematic and upsetting. IMHO Amanaddicted did not overstate. as i said, it sounds like some problematic statements were made by GM. regardless of whether one thinks there should have been service recovery or not.

Originally Posted by bahamaman
I am a complete nobody. Not rich, not famous.
clearly some problematic comments from GM. but it sounds like there could have been some communication issues and perhaps service preferences as well - regardless of any of that, there is never an excuse for definitively problematic comments from GM. and even if some comments could be up for interpretation, doesnt sound like all the comments could be up for interpretation.
the point is problematic comments regardless of reason, and if different guests are treated differently based on some kind of perception and then judgement. that was why i specifically raised potential comparison to kurt at MO BKK.

Amanaddicted positive >

could be a great place...clearly beautiful and quite exclusive
service was already quite nice

pretty happy at first due to a very unique design and space for Bangkok. I have almost nothing to complain about the beautiful decor and the atmosphere of luxury and serenity you can feel when you stay in this property and even if The Siam was still in the soft opening period, we already had a pretty good impression... this property I really consider as one of the most special in BKK
Amanaddicted negative >

yes I had reported all the issues during the stay
(doesnt say who else besides GM they had issues with)
[GM] almost treated us like people who never travel in luxurious hotels...he didn't even try to apologize
Most [management/GM] are ultra pretentious, not friendly at all
(doesnt specify response when they raised issues during stay)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 2, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.