Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Lancaster, Paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: co,ba,us,starwood,ua
Hotel Lancaster, Paris

Does anyone have any current opinions? Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I did a site inspection of The Lancaster a number of years ago and was not impressed. It definitely needed renovation at that time. It was apparently renovated in 2011, but have not personally seen it since the renovation. I'm not sold on the neighborhood (by the Etoile), and it just did not seem to have the same level of luxury as the usual choices recommended on this board.

The Lancaster is Virtuoso:

• Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
  • Daily Full breakfast, for up to two in room guests served in restaurant

For Superior, Deluxe, Prestige and Junior Suite rooms:
  • $100 USD Voucher Food & Beverage credit to be utilized during stay

For reservations made for a deluxe suite, a prestige suite or the Signature Suite Marlene Dietrich:
  • Complimentary one way private transfer, either upon arrival or upon departure, either airport or railway station
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: co,ba,us,starwood,ua
Thanks David. But at the Lancaster price point (500 Euros), what alternatives would you suggest?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
InterContinental Paris Le Grand. A decent 4* hotel in a good location with Club access. Not the greatest service...

• Automatic upgrade from Classic to Superior room
  • Upgrade on arrival subject to availability for other categories
  • Daily Buffet breakfast, for up to two in room guests in private dining room of Club Lounge
  • Guaranteed free access to the private Club Lounge
  • with complimentary use of all its services: (normal supplement is 120 EUR per night)
  • VIP welcome amenities and letter
  • 4PM late check-out subject to availability
  • 25% discount on rack rates for Suites upon availability
  • Voucher for 20% discount at spa on any treatment
  • Complimentary internet access
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Have stayed in many luxury properties in Paris. I agree the Lancaster not in the same category as the FS or Plaza Athnee, etc. however I had a great experience there albeit a number of year's ago. It is on a street that is without character, but we actually thought the hotel itself had some nice charm. It has a lovely inner garden that is nice on a warm day. The rooms were quite Parisian although it may have changed with renovations. The higher level rooms or a suite are a must for space and quiet. I think they have premier or luxury category? Street facing rooms can also be a bit noisy so ask for garden facing or interior if you are noise sensitive.

I have also stayed at the intercontinental for a business function. I would personally do the Lancaster over the IC. I did not care for the IC at all, but that is a personal opinion. But my first choice is always the Plaza Athenee, second would be Bristol, and third FS George V which although my third is really wonderful. I have not yet tried the newer MO or Shang, but looking forward to it.

If an upper level room at the Lancaster is available and suits your budget it is worth considering IMO.

The Lancaster also used to have a fairly nice restaurant, but again I have not been there for 5+ years.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Larkin
I have also stayed at the intercontinental for a business function. I would personally do the Lancaster over the IC. I did not care for the IC at all, but that is a personal opinion. But my first choice is always the Plaza Athenee, second would be Bristol, and third FS George V which although my third is really wonderful. I have not yet tried the newer MO or Shang, but looking forward to it..
These hotels are not really in the same category as the Lancaster as you mention. At a comparable price point, you could do OK at, for example, the Hyatt Regency Madeleine or Westin, with great locations and good upscale (not luxury) service, or the IC Le Grand, which is probably the absolute best location in Paris in my opinion. Or even the W, which is decent, or Scribe across the street from IC Le Grand. Or the Costes, a stylish boutique hotel also in a great location.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by mecabq
These hotels are not really in the same category as the Lancaster as you mention. At a comparable price point, you could do OK at, for example, the Hyatt Regency Madeleine or Westin, with great locations and good upscale (not luxury) service, or the IC Le Grand, which is probably the absolute best location in Paris in my opinion. Or even the W, which is decent, or Scribe across the street from IC Le Grand. Or the Costes, a stylish boutique hotel also in a great location.
Costes?? Westin?? I don't think so.

Lancaster is a far better choice than all of these, in my opinion.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

While I love the Costes, it can no longer really be considered a truly "stylish" boutique hotel as the "in" crowd has largely moved on from its high point three-ish years ago. Nonetheless, its a solid boutique hotel if you book a duplex or traditional suite and are prepared for its many quirks.

While we're on the subject of secondary luxury hotels in Paris, what's wrong with the Lutetia? Hotel St. Germain as well.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by labartell
Does anyone have any current opinions? Thanks.
Allow me to completely disagree with David O. Since the major refurbishment, Lancaster is superb, and yes, I have stayed recently there since the refurb.

They have one of the best Michelin star restaurants in Paris, although few know about it (Michel Troisgros no less) and even if you just take a light lunch in the Grand salon, it is done to perfection.

The rooms are beautiful. They put every other boutique hotel in Paris to shame. Suites are even better - authentically renovated to reflect the history of the hotel, but also very guest-friendly.

I know that Rue de Berri is not wildly salubrious, but it's very central and when you factor in the high service and food levels, then this hotel is a gem.

I am a big fan of FS George V and MO Paris, but The Lancaster for me is equally enjoyable, albeit in a different way.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La

I was simply making the point that all of the hotels that I mention are in the same price category (and quality category in my opinion) as the Lancaster, unlike the luxury hotels mentioned upthread.

I checked the rates in random weekends in March, and found this to be the case. This does not, of course, mean that these are better hotels than the Lancaster, and you are certainly free to opine that the Lancaster is better. But your is hardly called-for. I actually thought that the Westin was nice, and in a better location in my opinion.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Allow me to completely disagree with David O. Since the major refurbishment, Lancaster is superb, and yes, I have stayed recently there since the refurb.

They have one of the best Michelin star restaurants in Paris, although few know about it (Michel Troisgros no less) and even if you just take a light lunch in the Grand salon, it is done to perfection.

The rooms are beautiful. They put every other boutique hotel in Paris to shame. Suites are even better - authentically renovated to reflect the history of the hotel, but also very guest-friendly.

I know that Rue de Berri is not wildly salubrious, but it's very central and when you factor in the high service and food levels, then this hotel is a gem.

I am a big fan of FS George V and MO Paris, but The Lancaster for me is equally enjoyable, albeit in a different way.
Coming from vuittonsofstyle, the description of The Lancaster as "a gem" and "superb" is enough of a reason to book this hotel in a heartbeat.

A Michel Troisgros restaurant is another reason to rush to The Lancaster. I will have to stay here the next time I am in Paris.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:24 am

Any recent experiences at Lancaster from this board?

Troisgros has left since the last posting in this thread but his former executive chef is in the lead now at La Table de Lancaster (2* Michelin 2016).

I will be in Paris next Wednesday for just a 1 night stay so was considering to book this hotel.

Any updates would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 27, 2016, 1:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Coming from vuittonsofstyle, the description of The Lancaster as "a gem" and "superb" is enough of a reason to book this hotel in a heartbeat.

A Michel Troisgros restaurant is another reason to rush to The Lancaster. I will have to stay here the next time I am in Paris.
Did you by now stay at The Lancaster, if so, how was it? ^

Originally Posted by Epicura
Any recent experiences at Lancaster from this board?

Troisgros has left since the last posting in this thread but his former executive chef is in the lead now at La Table de Lancaster (2* Michelin 2016).

I will be in Paris next Wednesday for just a 1 night stay so was considering to book this hotel.

Any updates would be greatly appreciated!
Should you stay next Wednesday at The Lancaster you might update us here at FT so that we have new data points about this luxury hotel. ^
Old May 27, 2016, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by uggboy
Did you by now stay at The Lancaster, if so, how was it? ^
I unfortunately have not. I was planning to, but subsequently the hotel changed ownership and is no longer owned by the Spanish group Hospes. Michel Troisgros also no longer oversees the restaurant operations.

I still want to try it again (I have stayed long ago) at some point if I have a chance and can get a good deal on a junior suite or higher category.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by uggboy

Should you stay next Wednesday at The Lancaster you might update us here at FT so that we have new data points about this luxury hotel. ^
In that case I will volunteer as the guinea pig . Kindly note that the hotel seems to be sold out (at least on LHW) for next Wednesday so I am not sure if I can still get in. But I have forwarded my request to Leaders Club, since plenty of OTA's are still offering rooms with immediate confirmation.

Will update asap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.