Manila : Shangri La or Peninsula ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manila : Shangri La or Peninsula ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've stayed in both and I think the pool is better in the Pen - my 3 year old daughter thought the same
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum & Hilton Diamond
Or what about Mandarin Oriental? Is it good choice in Manila?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Whichever one you pick (I chose Shang), be sure to get on club level. Also, rate will be 20% higher than quoted in advance, they both do some sneakiness with currency conversion regardless of the currency you are billed in. Depressing but seemingly not anything you can change without a lot of hassle.
I don't follow you? How's that possible if I pay in PHP with credit card?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Whichever one you pick (I chose Shang), be sure to get on club level. Also, rate will be 20% higher than quoted in advance, they both do some sneakiness with currency conversion regardless of the currency you are billed in. Depressing but seemingly not anything you can change without a lot of hassle.
I must admit I've stayed at both many times and never encountered this - I have always booked the room in the local currency and paid exactly what I was quoted - I never trust booking site currency conversions. Are you sure you are not getting stung on taxes?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by HKGorBust
Are you sure you are not getting stung on taxes?
I was thinking that too.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:56 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I've stayed in both and I think the pool is better in the Pen - my 3 year old daughter thought the same
Can you elaborate on what specifically you (and your 3 year old) liked about the pool? Or what made it better? Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
Can you elaborate on what specifically you (and your 3 year old) liked about the pool? Or what made it better? Thanks.
I though the service was better poolside at the Peninsula and it looked a little better. I also saw on two occasions the life guard dive in and rescue a kid which was fairly impressive - I thought they were very attentive.

Very family focused especially at the weekend
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:01 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I though the service was better poolside at the Peninsula and it looked a little better. I also saw on two occasions the life guard dive in and rescue a kid which was fairly impressive - I thought they were very attentive.

Very family focused especially at the weekend
Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by blueline7
I just stayed at the Sofitel Manila, and had an excellent stay. It has a large resort style pool - reportedly the best in Manila, and the service was consistently excellent. I have not stayed at the Shang or Pen so cannot compare, however.
I agree that the Sofitel is quite nice. Note however that it's not anywhere close to Makati.

I'd pick the Peninsula over the Shangri-la anytime. A much classier operation.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:06 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Is the Pen still the best choice in the Makati area? I know the MO has closed. Sadly Pen is not on Virtuoso so no benefits
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:15 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Is the Pen still the best choice in the Makati area? I know the MO has closed. Sadly Pen is not on Virtuoso so no benefits
I believe that most Virtuoso agents on this board are also members of PenClub, which will get you similar (and in many cases, better) benefits at the Pen Manila.

In fact, looks like there's even a third night free offer for that property through March.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:44 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Got it, thanks! Pen is the go to luxury hotel then for a first timer in Manila? I'm mainly interested in proximity to local food and what public transportation may be available.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:18 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Got it, thanks! Pen is the go to luxury hotel then for a first timer in Manila? I'm mainly interested in proximity to local food and what public transportation may be available.
Yes, without a doubt. It's in the lower-tier of Pens, but it's as good as they come in Manila. A notch above Shangri-La.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Is the Peninsula still better than the Shangri La at the Fort? Wanting to know the best 5 star option in Manila. Or do we need to also consider Conrad, Grand Hyatt, Sofitel, or Okura?
Old Oct 4, 2023, 11:14 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Peninsula hands down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.