Wiki Posts
Search

Sicily Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:28 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Sicily Hotels

Sicily has suddenly started coming up in conversations. "Have you visited?" "What did you think?" It was so many years ago when we went that we were well content with a Globus Gateway bus tour. Yep, that long ago.

I'm beginning to think of 2013 travel. Sicily is on the list. We don't need a beach, but we need a great sea view. Are there great hotels in Sicily?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Sicily has suddenly started coming up in conversations. "Have you visited?" "What did you think?" It was so many years ago when we went that we were well content with a Globus Gateway bus tour. Yep, that long ago.

I'm beginning to think of 2013 travel. Sicily is on the list. We don't need a beach, but we need a great sea view. Are there great hotels in Sicily?
Sicily has two Orient Express hotels...
One in Taormina: The Grand Hotel Timeo
One in the bay of Mazzaro: Villa Sant'Andrea

Recently SFO777 visited Sicily. Check out his review of the San Domenico Palace Hotel. Looks reasonably nice...

Here are my thoughts from Taromina:
When there's a cruise ship in town.. it's busy busy busy.. when there are two- three cruise ships it's crazy....

We stayed at the Villa Sant Andrea and liked it... convenient to Taormina if you want to go into town (either via free shuttle bus to the Grand Hotel Timeo or a gondola ride. Here's my review.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
I was in Messina, Sisily in June 2012. We did the Hop On Hop Off bus. Also, this is where the movie "Godfather" was filmed. There are some tours for the movie tour, but we weren't interested. Messina has the world's largest Astronomical Clock. And of course, there are churches....
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:41 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
And if I recall correctly, all 3 are Virtuoso. I will post amenities later today.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by sophiewilson
The Verdura Golf and Spa Resort is the best hotel in Sicily IMO. It gives you a true sense of space and privacy. And yes, the food is delicious.
Agree that this is the best resort hotel, although I wish they had built some private pools.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:37 am
Original Poster

I appreciate the suggestions given so far, and hope that folks will keep them coming. I did notice that the last suggestion has 200 rooms. That works for many people, and does for me in city hotels. But in more scenic destinations, I have a strong preference for very small hotels. We were in Provence recently and stayed at intimate properties with 10 to 20 rooms. That's my idea of serenity.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
You should definitely consider the Hotel El Jebel in Taormina. I had a very good stay in July.

Good points:
Fantastic service, including an excellent congierge to help you cut through the poor tourist restaurants in the town and discover the real treats.
Large, comfortable and well appointed rooms/suites (I've heard that this is not the case at San Domenico or Timeo). There are three categories of design (check the website) and you need to decide which you prefer and request that type.
Excellent roof terrace with bar/restaurant on top. Mesmerising views of Mount Etna and the coast.

Less good points:

No pool, gym or spa. This feels like a city hotel, rather than a resort. There is an arrangement with a beach club in Letojanni nearby which works OK (they pick you up in a bus). We actually preferred going to the beach clubs at Lido Mazzaro, directly below Taormina. The crowd here is more upscale and Italian than nearby Isola Bella (which is beautiful, but crowded with tourists). You reach Mazzaro from the hotel via a short walk and cable car, so it's really very easy. Great casual restaurants for lunch. While I'm happy lazing by an Aman pool for weeks at a time, I quite liked mixing with more of a local crowd in Sicily.

Yes Taormina is crowded with tourists, but it's also still charming and spectacularly located. Some surprisingly good shopping too.

Take a look at Panarea, one of the Aeolian Islands. A stunning island with a real dolce vita feel to it. The Hotel Raya is really ridiculously overpriced for what it offers, but the views and the sense of place make it worth it for two or three nights.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might be something to check out >

13BR palazzo hedone (incl indoor and outdoor pools and 1BR beach house)

http://www.departures.com/luxury-vac...palazzo-hedone
Sep-2011

But, says Garrigue-Guyonnaud, there is no need to despair if you can’t scrape together 23 of your friends...According to Garrigue-Guyonnaud, “If you want to visit, we’ll find a way to accommodate you.”

Rooms start at $185
you would have to ask about booking individual room
although published is from only €1470/nt for exclusive use
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:30 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
I will go to Sicily in 2013 and definitely not need Virtuoso, the normal Leaders Club benefits from LHW are more than OK . Discovered interesting Michelin starred restaurants around Ragusa (Don Serafino and Duomo) which is also an interesting region for its baroque architecture.

Ragusa is also half way between the Rocco Forte Verdura and Taormina.

Of course food must be good at Verdura, Fulvio Pierangelini a former two Michelin starred chef now works for Rocco Forte.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, MHC, Amex Plat
I was in Catania, Taormina and Syracuse and I highly recommend Taormina or Syracuse as a base. Of course, Taormina with its proximity to Aetna was the most beautiful of the three. But Syracuse was definitely worth a visit. Catania has no real beach, just rocks and beach front hotels were overpriced. LA Plage in Taormina is on the Beach and Timeo is in the town. If it's hot go to the beach.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I appreciate the suggestions given so far, and hope that folks will keep them coming. I did notice that the last suggestion has 200 rooms. That works for many people, and does for me in city hotels. But in more scenic destinations, I have a strong preference for very small hotels. We were in Provence recently and stayed at intimate properties with 10 to 20 rooms. That's my idea of serenity.
We stayed at Villa Carlotta in Taormina last year and loved it. Close to town yet far enough for some peace and quiet. We had a sea view room and enjoyed it. Friends recently stayed at their sister property Hotel Villa Ducale and very much enjoyed it. They are both small hotels.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:35 am

Verdura has apparently traded badly, and the banks are set to become reluctant owners, according to the FT...I recall thinking that their rack rates when they opened seemed ambitious; not sure if they've moderated their expectations over time.

Monaci delle Terre Nere is a small place (six rooms) that I've seen name-checked in the FT, WSJ and Herald Tribune recently; it may be the sort of thing OP is after.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThudAndBlunder
Monaci delle Terre Nere is a small place (six rooms) that I've seen name-checked in the FT, WSJ and Herald Tribune recently
thanks ^
6 rooms, private restaurant, pool in may, from €150
http://www.monacidelleterrenere.it/
http://www.welcomebeyond.com/propert...le-terre-nere/
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Misc. others
If you are looking for a town, then the Siracusa/Ortigia area is a nice option.

The hotels in Ortigia are smaller, and less "grand" than some of the properties in Taormina, but the experience is decidedly more intimate. The Algila Charme is probably the best hotel in Ortigia, but I still wouldn't consider it "luxury".

There are also some fabulous options for rental villas, including some that are fully serviced - we used ThinkSicily and can highly recommend them.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

As everyone is beginning to pin down their summer travels, have more hotels come to mind in Sicily?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.