Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chiang Mai advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Any thoughts on the Rachamankha (R&C) or 137 Pillars House as an alternative to the Chedi?

FDW
Yes. Rachamankha is outstanding. And very Thai in character. And located right where you want to be inside the walled city. I don't know the 137 Pillars House, but it's on the wrong side of the river relative to most Chiang Mai attractions, but not too far out of the way.

Last edited by flyboy60; Nov 12, 2013 at 10:41 pm
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We had an excellent stay at the Chedi in March. Great junior suite (some laundry is included which was nice because we were mid-trip and with animals, cooking schools, etc.), the food and beverage suburb with the included breakfast (and boxed breakfast for busy days unbelievably good), and nice spa. The hotel was convenient to walk to town at night and the hotel car was inexpensive and easy to reserve for an afternoon of touring some temples, etc. I did find it a little bit mosquito-y because everything is outside but overall, really liked it there.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by floridagal23
We had an excellent stay at the Chedi in March. Great junior suite (some laundry is included which was nice because we were mid-trip and with animals, cooking schools, etc.), the food and beverage suburb with the included breakfast (and boxed breakfast for busy days unbelievably good), and nice spa. The hotel was convenient to walk to town at night and the hotel car was inexpensive and easy to reserve for an afternoon of touring some temples, etc. I did find it a little bit mosquito-y because everything is outside but overall, really liked it there.
This hotel is now under Anantara management, and is no longer called The Chedi. I don't know if ownership has changed. I may still stay, as I think Anantara management and F&B is usually very good at the high four star level.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:06 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Chiang Mai advice

+1 on Anantara doing a very good job, usually, at offering pretty good service.
The good thing about this hotel is that it's significantly cheaper than FS and the Dhara Dhevi but still provides luxury amenities so I would go for it.
Upcoming stay in Jan at the DD to see for myself whether it dropped since MO left. Apparently, feedback are still very good which relieves me because it is a stunning property !
And I can't say I disliked the upgraded airport transfer in the Rolls Phantom last time :-D best effect guaranteed at the airport. The car belongs to the owner of the hotel btw
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:23 pm

Looking at staying at the Chedi/Anantara in March 2014. The message on the GHM website (copied below) is worrisome. Any concerns making a booking after this apparent "hostile takeover"?

An attempt was made on the 4th November 2013 by the owning company of the The Chedi Chiang Mai to terminate GHM’s management of the hotel and bring in a new operator to manage the property.

Given this unfortunate development, GHM has had no choice but to initiate legal actions against both the owning company as well as the new management company to address the many areas of violations.

Should there be any queries relating to reservations at the hotel, kindly contact the hotel directly. However, should you wish to explore other GHM hotels, kindly visit our website at www.GHMhotels.com.

Last edited by MattEvan; Nov 24, 2013 at 8:11 pm
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
This hotel is now under Anantara management, and is no longer called The Chedi. I don't know if ownership has changed. I may still stay, as I think Anantara management and F&B is usually very good at the high four star level.
Interesting. The physical property is quite nice and they have won awards for the build out. I am curious to see what it's is like now.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:49 am

We've just checked out of the Anantara, after a quick 2 night stay. All in all, a good hotel, and as vuittonsofstyle notes, substantially better value than either the FS or Dhara Dhevi. We paid THB13k++ per night for a club suite - we'd originally reserved when it was a GHM property, but the booking/rate were honoured post-coup. It did feel as if it was missing some of the polish/laid back luxury of Chedi/GHM properties - and it looks like Anantara have replaced some of the soft furnishings to align with their brand standard/colour palette, so some parts of the property don't necessarily hang together. F&B offering was good, having tried both the Kasara club lounge, and the Restaurant (the Indian restaurant is closed, presumably due to low occupancy). Spa was most enjoyable.

Would definitely return, although I notice that Anantara rates are now north of what we paid.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
We've just checked out of the Anantara, after a quick 2 night stay. All in all, a good hotel, and as vuittonsofstyle notes, substantially better value than either the FS or Dhara Dhevi. We paid THB13k++ per night for a club suite - we'd originally reserved when it was a GHM property, but the booking/rate were honoured post-coup. It did feel as if it was missing some of the polish/laid back luxury of Chedi/GHM properties - and it looks like Anantara have replaced some of the soft furnishings to align with their brand standard/colour palette, so some parts of the property don't necessarily hang together. F&B offering was good, having tried both the Kasara club lounge, and the Restaurant (the Indian restaurant is closed, presumably due to low occupancy). Spa was most enjoyable.

Would definitely return, although I notice that Anantara rates are now north of what we paid.
Thanks- was planning to return here in May. Did you book through your TA or another channel? This hotel used to be very good with Leaders Club benefits and I am curious if there is anything similar now?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:46 am

Mike from Tokyo is right. anantara is 4 star at best. We are staying there (or not as decamped for night to Ping Nakara) due to most of hotel being out of use for guests due to Bangkok Airways party (we booked in January and no mention until yesterday). Will update with full review but certainly nowhere close to Chedi standards.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Oct 27, 2014 at 10:08 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:17 am
Suspended

Can anyone speak to recent stays at the Dhara Dhevi? Currently booked at FS.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:19 am

Does anyone know who owns the anantara property?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Does anyone know who owns the anantara property?
Anantara is owned by Minor International PlC- the same people by the way who own the Four Seasons in Chiang Mai (and Thailand for that matter).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Anantara is owned by Minor International PlC- the same people by the way who own the Four Seasons in Chiang Mai (and Thailand for that matter).
Ok- thanks- I thought that they run it as they own anantara? Do they own it as well?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Anantara is owned by Minor
anantara chiang mai is definitely not majority owned by minor

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
chedi chiang mai did not do well >
http://www.set.or.th/dat/news/201007/10024461.pdf
owner pacific assets was acquired and announced plans to sell hotel
http://www.thephuketinsider.com/hote...tel-starts.php
http://www.ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=22045

pacific assets (et al) did a fair amount with aman/ghm

not sure minor owns much if any of anantara chiang mai, for anantara chiang mai im seeing minor saying JV in several places, also found a minor page that said management not JV, might be that it started as management then they acquired equity

pacfic assets was/is owned by natural park >
http://mint.listedcompany.com/news_c..._corporate_all
Oct 15, 2014

MINT"), together with Natural Park Public Company Limited ("NPARK") established a 50 / 50 joint venture
Anantara Chiang Mai Serviced Suites...across from Anantara Chiang Mai Resort & Spa

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 3, 2014 at 5:04 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
pacific assets (et al) did a fair amount with aman/ghm

not sure minor owns much if any of anantara chiang mai - annual report says joint venture
Thanks. That is what the locals said but couldn't find it online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.