Barcelona: Mandarin Oriental vs. Hotel Arts vs Majestic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, AA Exec Plat

Hi, all.

I'm planning a trip for me and my Mom next spring to Barcelona. We're looking for a centrally located hotel (nice neighborhood, close to some of the Gaudi sites) with excellent service and swish accommodations. Mom has some mobility/health problems, so the quality of the room and spa areas, etc. is actually really important.

From what I've seen, the Mandarin is one of the most conveniently located luxury hotels in the city. I, however, have never stayed in one so 1) I don't have any sort of 'status' (even if they don't have a loyalty program, and 2) I've read some reviews saying that the facilities are a bit tired.

Meanwhile, I have Gold status with the Ritz (and Platinum with Starwood) and therefore might consider the Hotel Arts. Is the location that far off from things?

Are there other hotels that I should add to this list?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 25, 2012 at 12:32 am Reason: Changed title a bit to reflect combination of two threads
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:03 pm

I don't like the Hotel Arts location at all. While it is on the beach, I find it too remote from anything a typical tourist would be doing and most of the shopping.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, FB Gold
Mandarin definitely wins it for location as far as tourist sites and neighborhood go. And if you're looking for a Starwood property the W also beats the Arts in my book as it's all and all a nicer property, though similarly inconveniently located if it's not the beach you're after.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dandel
Mandarin definitely wins it for location as far as tourist sites and neighborhood go. And if you're looking for a Starwood property the W also beats the Arts in my book as it's all and all a nicer property, though similarly inconveniently located if it's not the beach you're after.
I would choose the Arts over the W anyday. There is nothing interesting about the W (horrible service, massive number of rooms and not considered luxury on this board) unless you book one of the terrace suites which are "fun" . On the contrary, the RC will deliver good service (not stellar nor close to the best RC's) and the room product is solid (an exec suite with club access and the view is really nice ).
Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Good grief!

Much as I like a W,the Barcelona branch is one of their worst.It's too big for the W concept and service is slow.

It's true,the Mo is nice and in a central location.

However,it's hard to beat the club level of the hotel arts.
Their club lounge is one of the best I've been in with fantastic service and fantastic views day and night and great food and alcohol presentations.
Be sure and pick the club level if you stay there though,it is worth it.

I totally disagree that it's too far from the old town,it's a 10 minute walk max and your in the heart of that.
The board walk beside the hotel,that continues along the beach has quite a few bars and restaurants too.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:29 am

I like the Hotel Arts, but a 10 minute walk doesn't get you anywhere. I just checked on Google Maps, and it's a 2km walk to Placa Sant Jaume, almost 3km to La Sagrada Familia, and 3km to Placa de Catalunya.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:41 am

Obviously Earthman is a fast walker. Ten minutes would probably take you to the Barceloneta or to the Marina. However as the sights in Barcelona are quite spread out, I think the OP and her mother will have to take taxis to and from the hotel whichever one they choose.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ah for heavens sake .... 10 minutes walking (yeah fast )around by the train station and you are in the old town,then there's trams,the underground and local busses,if you want to walk less,not to mention plentifull taxi's.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Love the Arts hotel, and don't mind the taxi. I have not stayed at the others, but the sweeping view of the sea in an executive room on the club floor with unlimited champagne cannot be beat IMHO. But then I am a view person! Although there are many fantastic restaurants in the city, there is good food at the Arts as well. Also I never had a problem getting a taxi there except if an event is letting out near a meal time and then I might have waited 5-10min. There is also a very nice pool for warm weather.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, AA Exec Plat
Hi, all!

Interesting can of worms here. Mom isn't so great with walking these days, so I really want to minimize the amount of walking she has to do if I can. However, it sounds like everything is pretty dispersed, so I'll have to shoot for a nice neighborhood instead.

Are there any properties I should add to the list?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by PandaPal
Hi, all!

Interesting can of worms here. Mom isn't so great with walking these days, so I really want to minimize the amount of walking she has to do if I can. However, it sounds like everything is pretty dispersed, so I'll have to shoot for a nice neighborhood instead.

Are there any properties I should add to the list?
No. Given the mobility problem, MO Barcelona is by far the best. It is also virtually opposite some of the Gaudi buildings and right in the heart of retail-land.

The Ritz-Carlton is a cab ride away from anything (unless you are Earthman, of course!).
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

So now here's the question: will there be a marked difference in the way we are treated at the MO vs. the Hotel Arts? I have status at the Ritz and it sounds like the Club Level is really the way to go there. However, I have never stayed at a Mandarin Oriental and may have to go for a lower class of room.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 2:28 pm

I haven't stayed at the Barcelona MO but I have a few others and they are lovely hotels and you will be treated well but RCs are also nice and according to the advice above the Club level at the Hotel Arts would suit you very well apart from having to take taxis everywhere - maybe you'd have to take taxis if you stay at the MO in any case especially to places like Parc Guell and Sagrada Familia.
I'm with Larkin - I love views and if your mother needs a quiet afternoon at the hotel to rest at least she will have the views.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RC "[28] Apartment guests have the use of a Mini Cooper"
anyone asked about getting club with apt ?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by PandaPal
So now here's the question: will there be a marked difference in the way we are treated at the MO vs. the Hotel Arts? I have status at the Ritz and it sounds like the Club Level is really the way to go there. However, I have never stayed at a Mandarin Oriental and may have to go for a lower class of room.
Booking Arts through a Virtuoso or STARS travel agent could help for upgrades, especially if you already have status with RC . I've stayed with my father in an exec suite at the Arts (twin beds, so should be the same setup for you and your mother) and it was roomy with views to die for . We didn't mind paying for a cab each time we decided to visit, and given that your mother may have issues concerning mobility , and that main sights are not all close together in the same neighbourood, you'll have to cab anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.