im reminded of comments here re Robyn Bickford and Olivia Richli

question didnt seem as bad as this for example >
Originally Posted by redshift27
Overheard in an expensive private Game Reserve in South Africa:
Guest: "Who did the landscaping?"
Ranger: "God?"
... and on another occasion:
Guest: "Where do you put the animals at night?"
(i also recall reading about a guest asking a luxury hotel in switzerland to 'turn off' the adjacent waterfall at night)

sometimes 'questioners' are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 5, 2015 at 7:21 pm
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Oh, come on - Amanda Hyndman is English and has a very English sense of humour. The last thing we need in this world is a bunch of robotic GMs saying 'have a nice day'. Her charisma and outrageousness make her what she is - the best GM that MO BK has had in a long while.
Agreed about a great GM for her property but English sense of humour doesn't need to be crass or rude.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Oh, come on - Amanda Hyndman is English and has a very English sense of humour.
I adore British humor. I didn't find her response humorous at all.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Agreed about a great GM for her property but English sense of humour doesn't need to be crass or rude.
If anything, the comment comes across as mildly hysteric than anything remotely British.

I honestly couldn't contemplate anyone British around me saying such a thing. They would be aghast at the suggestion.

Last edited by stargold; Oct 6, 2015 at 5:57 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold
If anything, the comment comes across as mildly hysteric than anything remotely British.

I honestly couldn't contemplate anyone British around me saying such a thing. They would be aghast at the suggestion.
Got me. Shocking to me to see that from someone in her station.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by stargold

I'm British and have said far worse . Luckily no one cares about my job and I don't say such things on social media for everyone to see.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I'm British and have said far worse . Luckily no one cares about my job and I don't say such things on social media for everyone to see.
I have said far worse, too. I can think of plenty of British GMs who are equally outspoken. British humour can be pretty cutting along with the irony. What Amanda said certainly did not offend me.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:27 pm

I'm surprised that people seem to think that the phrase "Planet earth calling Mr X, your space ship is waiting" constitutes British humour. Seriously? I don't think I've heard anything more American.

The whole thing is neither dry nor sarcastic enough. Not to mention there are far more eloquent yet appropriate ways of incorporating humour (British or otherwise) than this very poorly thought out response to what is very likely an innocent question from someone who - god forbid - is not familiar with the intricate details of the hotel's history.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well she hasn't been sacked so maybe the higher ups at MO don't take it seriously?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:59 pm

I think it's more about who one corresponds with, the setting in which a joke/irony/humor is made and if it is adequate for that person and the platform, given it was meant with a wink and not as ill-intentioned as it sounds. It may sound picky, but perhaps that is because my expectations are so high of her.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:19 pm

I don't find it to be malacious; but it does make me think less of her, as she seems more thick than quick-witted.

Mostly, though, this is "much ado ..."
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:03 pm

This is not a response befitting any general manager let alone a GM of a hotel of this stature .
The owners should really take note and caution her if that's how she interact with guests or potential guests .

It's not wit it's plain witless sarcasm .
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Well she hasn't been sacked so maybe the higher ups at MO don't take it seriously?
Itīs no reason to sack her in my eyes. OK, it wasnīt appropriate, but not as worse as she canīt represent MO any longer.....
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
Itīs no reason to sack her in my eyes. OK, it wasnīt appropriate, but not as worse as she canīt represent MO any longer.....
I don't know if that was an isolated incident or not on whatever platform but I'm guessing that OP didn't escalate things.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:47 am

I don't know if that was an isolated incident or not on whatever platform but I'm guessing that OP didn't escalate things.
Not sure if Ms Hyndman has time and muse to read this forum, maybe someone at MOHG does. I don't think it should be escalated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.