Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, New Mexico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:37 am

FS is in Tesuque, just outside of Santa Fé - set in stunning countryside, so quite a different exerience from Rosewood, which is right in town and in easy walking distance of the shops and restaurants. Depends upon what you intend to do whilst there.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:56 pm
Original Member

Abiding here for the next five nights. The setting is gorgeous, remarkable and, well, enchanting -- high-desert setting ringed by at least two mountain ranges. We're in a Summit suite (e.g., suite situated highest) for maximum views looking west and delighted we popped for the top. The grounds are beautifully yet ecologically planted. Walking around is a treat and there is a loop hiking trail out the back that begins and ends at the resort boundaries. There is a guided hike on that trail at 8:30am. They like to start it early given the heat. I don't think this is a priority for us; see "8:30am."

The suite is large, not inordinately so; foyer, living room, bedroom, bathroom and generous terrace opening to a small area fenced by wood and rock walls featuring desert-happy shrubs. Enormous closet and dressing area. We are very comfortable. Furniture and decor is minimalist yet comfy, no shiny surfaces (which I can't abide). Beamed blond-wood ceiling, hardwood floors, striking rugs.

The bathroom is a sybarite's treat with very deep soaking tub, separate fireplace, double vanity, heated floors. Lavender bath salts and other goodies provided for the bath. Soap, lotion, shampoo, etc., is by Ortigia and I am "encantado" by light scent; the soap suds up soothingly. The long terrace is equipped with two cushioned deck chairs, two cushioned dining armchairs and a small round table. Wood-burning fireplace outside and inside. Wall sconces are especially fetching.

We are here for the renown summer opera, tickets for Friday and Saturday nights. Intend to take in the O'Keefe Museum and wander about the Santa Fe plaza. Not a busy agenda and that's how we like it. Head home Monday morning.

Based solely on first impressions over the last four hours since arrival, I would characterize this lovely place as Four Seasons Lite. Important to keep in mind this is a smaller establishment of 65 units which I expect necessarily imposes some limits. Greeting by bell staff was perfect, check-in was kindly and quick. Which takes me to the "lite" designation.

The "lite" designation refers to:
-- no classical music which surprises since I bet not a few summer guests come here primarily for the famous summer opera.
-- an order for a pitcher of sangria (in New Mexico) was met with sorry, no sangria. Asked what was available by pitcher (in this toasty climate), the answer was no pitchers.

Tomorrow when we go to town I'll ask for a hammock on the terrace, I have my heart set on this and it is in the photo on the website representing the Summit suite. And, yes, I know web site images can be wildly unrepresentative of realty.

More to come from your on-the-scene reporter.

Also, no decaf coffee in the suite.

Last edited by KatW; Jul 27, 2016 at 8:11 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks! re pitchers and sangria, always odd running into such procedural issues at FS. (and even some of the best regarded properties in the world, whether FS or others.) i recall similar report from FS westlake. i'm curious if a manager might sometimes be able to get things done. from a revenue standpoint, clearly there is a way for them to charge a fair price (or not, if guest does not care) with fair/good margin for themselves, for whatever reasonable request guest makes, at upscale property.

hope you're successful with hammock. (curious re its appearance in photos.) enjoy the opera!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:33 pm

It's sad to learn that this wonderful local gem has reportedly become another soulless corporate entity.

Visited here in the early 90's - loved it sooo much that we rearranged our entire vacation - on the fly - to spend twice as much time at RE. It had a completely different vibe than any place I had ever visited. It was unhurried. It was dusty. It was quiet. The sky was big and impossibly blue.

RE had been recommended to me by a well-known network TV host with whom I worked, and was a place where many folks in the entertainment industry were known to stay. The property still had Betty Egan's stamp on it. The gravesite of her favorite horse was something of a shrine. Joni Mitchell had named the cat.

Dinner on the ranch house porch/patio as the sun began to set was almost spiritual, and the food was even better than the setting. There were art exhibits and local events. Local folks loved the place.

My partner, who at first was horrified by his first impression as we arrived at the gate ("It's a dude ranch! It an effin' dude ranch! What do I look like? Little Joe??), was mollified when he saw our lovely casita ("Oooh, this is nice."), and quickly fell in love with the place and didn't want to leave.

The place had plenty of quirks, but most seemed to only add to the charm. It was a lot of things...but "corporate" was not one of them.

So now it's a Four Seasons? Betty's horse is probably turning over in his grave.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

owner (one of them) is fairly solid so there may be potential in the future. onsite Adventure Partners is connected to owner, and operates excursions.

although perhaps if it was not FS, they would have brought back horses already. but i can understand going with FS immediately after they bought. same owner took a very long time to develop (concept wasn't aman) amangiri. dunton hot springs and amangani (again same owner) were not fast either.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 28, 2016 at 11:32 am
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:02 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by HomerJay
It's sad to learn that this wonderful local gem has reportedly become another soulless corporate entity.

Visited here in the early 90's - loved it sooo much that we rearranged our entire vacation - on the fly - to spend twice as much time at RE. It had a completely different vibe than any place I had ever visited. It was unhurried. It was dusty. It was quiet. The sky was big and impossibly blue.

RE had been recommended to me by a well-known network TV host with whom I worked, and was a place where many folks in the entertainment industry were known to stay. The property still had Betty Egan's stamp on it. The gravesite of her favorite horse was something of a shrine. Joni Mitchell had named the cat.

Dinner on the ranch house porch/patio as the sun began to set was almost spiritual, and the food was even better than the setting. There were art exhibits and local events. Local folks loved the place.

My partner, who at first was horrified by his first impression as we arrived at the gate ("It's a dude ranch! It an effin' dude ranch! What do I look like? Little Joe??), was mollified when he saw our lovely casita ("Oooh, this is nice."), and quickly fell in love with the place and didn't want to leave.

The place had plenty of quirks, but most seemed to only add to the charm. It was a lot of things...but "corporate" was not one of them.

So now it's a Four Seasons? Betty's horse is probably turning over in his grave.
It looks to us as if there is quite a lot of indigenous flavor throughout the resort in all ways including staff. It's an atypical Four Seasons which is a good thing for this particular establishment which wears it's corporate mantle gently with grace.

Still no hammock, sigh.

The setting is sublime.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Just stayed here for two nights- would definitely echo FS lite comments. Setting is amazing but doesn't really feel like worth $1k per night.

We had no kettle in our suite (only noticed in the morning when we thought we'd make tea with the tea-bags that they provided at turndown...), the air con didn't work particularly well (it seemed to be mainly cooling the non-bedroom, but we had the doors closed between the bedroom and the non-bedroom), the shower strength was weak, they managed to mangle the bill at the end (breakfast was supposed to be taken off but hadn't been, the '25% off if you eat twice in the restaurant' hadn't been applied), they failed to do turndown service one night (they knew what time our restaurant booking was, we did go to bed at 845 but that gave them two hours...), I still don't have a copy of the bill which they promised to email me, and have 3 separate unexplained transactions on my credit card...

None of these individually a big deal, but together its a bit tedious.

Would definitely go back to Santa Fe and New Mexico, but I'm sure we could find somewhere equally nice for significantly less $$$
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Enjoyed this hotel. Staff are all very welcoming -- nothing is too much trouble. Not cheap, but we really enjoyed ourselves and would return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.