Wiki Posts
Search

A Singapore suggestion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:18 am
Original Poster

A Singapore suggestion

Hello everyone,

I ll be travelling to Singapore. Of course I am aware of all the big luxury players there. However, is there an "affordable" luxury option (max 200EUR/night,1PAX) in good location?

Thanks for all your opinions in advance.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:21 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
New Majestic is a trendy small boutique hotel & another interesting one, also in the Chinatown area is The Scarlet Hotel . Haven't stayed at either as not particularly my ( preferred MO, FS or Aman ) style but others I know seem to like their ' character '.
Not sure what you mean by ' good ' location though ( Not walking distance to Orchard Road )
Hope this helps
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
New Majestic is a trendy small boutique hotel & another interesting one, also in the Chinatown area is The Scarlet Hotel . Haven't stayed at either as not particularly my ( preferred MO, FS or Aman ) style but others I know seem to like their ' character '.
Not sure what you mean by ' good ' location though ( Not walking distance to Orchard Road )
Hope this helps
You could potentially geta room at the Intercontinental for 200EUR on a weekend night, which I suspect would be the most luxurious option in that price range. It is a beautiful hotel and certainly one of the nicest ICs around.

I am not a fan of the Scarlet - tiny, worn out rooms with rock hard beds and what sounds like a nightclub underneath. But good location though.

Last edited by ajca; Nov 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thecoolhunter
I ll be travelling to Singapore. Of course I am aware of all the big luxury players there. However, is there an "affordable" luxury option (max 200EUR/night,1PAX) in good location?
Of course, this depends on the time of year you are going, and what you consider to be a "good location".

Around the Marina Sands area, the Pan Pacific Singapore is close to your range. On Sentosa Island, Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa might be an interesting choice.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

Conrad is a solid choice.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Of course, this depends on the time of year you are going, and what you consider to be a "good location".

Around the Marina Sands area, the Pan Pacific Singapore is close to your range. On Sentosa Island, Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa might be an interesting choice.
Pan Pacific ( Marina Square ) was recently refurbished so should be nice & with views, some good F & B too. Last stayed in the mid 80s!

Near Conrad , another decent choice..

Amara Sanctuary has varied configurations & room types, recced a couple years back but eventually didn't stay. Some with lovely sea views .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm Reason: Added info
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:34 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Hello everyone,

After many big disappointments at the Raffles - the place with the most arrogant and unpleasant staff - I just booked at the Fort Cannings Hotel at about SGD 350. Looks like being quite historic with a big pool with the standard rooms to be avoided (bathroom near the window in full view).
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by behuman
After many big disappointments at the Raffles - the place with the most arrogant and unpleasant staff - I just booked at the Fort Cannings Hotel at about SGD 350. Looks like being quite historic with a big pool with the standard rooms to be avoided (bathroom near the window in full view).
I hear that complaint often, but I never had anything but warm and positive experience with staff during our stay in 2010. The GM even came to see us every morning during breakfast to see how we were doing and offer advice on things to do that day.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hello everyone,

Depending on the dates, I've seen the Fullerton Bay hotel (not the Fullerton) well within this price range for reserving a room well in advance. It's trendy, new, and pretty well located between the Marina Bay Sands and the Asian Civilizations museum.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:58 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I hear that complaint often, but I never had anything but warm and positive experience with staff during our stay in 2010. The GM even came to see us every morning during breakfast to see how we were doing and offer advice on things to do that day.
Very glad for you. Probably you travel as a smart looking straight Caucasian couple and match their racist and moral stereotypes.

It is a big waste as The Raffles could be among the loveliest historic destination hotels in the world. Looking for other historic places in Singapore I think The Fullerton is dull and Goodwood too funky.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've only walked inside Raffles once. I was apparently well-dressed enough to get past the door wardens but it wasn't long before some random staffer was rude for no apparent reason. Haven't attempted to visit the place since then.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by behuman
Very glad for you. Probably you travel as a smart looking straight Caucasian couple and match their racist and moral stereotypes.
My wife is Asian, and she reported no issues when she was walking on the property on her own. But they probably thought that she was a rich Japanese, and adjusted their racist and moral stereotypes appropriately.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Just back from a week at Marina Bay Sands. To get anywhere close to the target price would likely mean Tower 3 & no city view. Probably not worth it unless for a short stay, just to take in the sky park, which is mainly why I mention it.

Agree with earlier post that the Intercontinental is an option. The Shophouse rooms are really cool in my opinion.

I was last at Pan Pac last year just before the renovation. Have always liked the upper floor panorama view rooms at that property.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Conrad is a solid choice.
+1

Also if the OP happens to have some points this is a good place to use them up and then pay a small upcharge for the Executive levels.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 2:33 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Most decent 5 star hotels nowadays in Singapore, the going rate is about SGD400++ and that is already more than Euro200 unless there is an offer / special promo. Maybe you might have to do with the chains unless there is more flexibility in the budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.