Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Hangzhou

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
I had no problem with taxi from the airport. It's a bit of a distance. Driver hadn't heard of FS. Looked at my map; called to get directions; drove straight there. (Used meter without prompting.)
Old Apr 2, 2013, 3:06 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Any thoughts on best way to get to Shanghai from the FS (specifically the PH)? Is taxi to train station; train to Shanghai. taxi to Park Hyatt faster/easier than car straight from FS to PH shanghai? Thanks
FDW
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Any thoughts on best way to get to Shanghai from the FS (specifically the PH)? Is taxi to train station; train to Shanghai. taxi to Park Hyatt faster/easier than car straight from FS to PH shanghai? Thanks
FDW
Just take a car and driver- much easier and more or less the same amount of time all in. Hangzhou to Pudong will be less than 2 hours unless the traffic is truly a disaster (possible) at which case 3 hours maximum from FS Hangzhou to the PH.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
FDW
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Just take a car and driver- much easier and more or less the same amount of time all in. Hangzhou to Pudong will be less than 2 hours unless the traffic is truly a disaster (possible) at which case 3 hours maximum from FS Hangzhou to the PH.
I was staying at the PH Shanghai when I went to Hangzhou for the day, and I had the PH arrange the tickets in advance for me on the high speed rail. It took about 45 min on the high speed rail to get from Hangzhou to Shanghai, and another 45 min or so from the Shanghai Hongqiao Station to the Park Hyatt. I don't know how long it would take by car from Hangzhou to Shanghai, or if it's more cost effective to take the train, but Google Maps says it's about 2 hours and 20 minutes... So it seems about the same amount of time. So if you wanted to try out the high speed rail, then maybe that's what you should do?

The other thing to take into consideration in addition to traffic is getting a taxi at the Hongqiao High Speed Rail station in SHanghai, I think it was pretty quick the last time I went but it could be worse depending on the time.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAL747fan
I was staying at the PH Shanghai when I went to Hangzhou for the day, and I had the PH arrange the tickets in advance for me on the high speed rail. It took about 45 min on the high speed rail to get from Hangzhou to Shanghai, and another 45 min or so from the Shanghai Hongqiao Station to the Park Hyatt. I don't know how long it would take by car from Hangzhou to Shanghai, or if it's more cost effective to take the train, but Google Maps says it's about 2 hours and 20 minutes... So it seems about the same amount of time. So if you wanted to try out the high speed rail, then maybe that's what you should do?

The other thing to take into consideration in addition to traffic is getting a taxi at the Hongqiao High Speed Rail station in SHanghai, I think it was pretty quick the last time I went but it could be worse depending on the time.
I did the Hangzhou-Shanghai trip once a month for about 5 years- the train is nice but is not any quicker. You are correct that getting a taxi at the Shanghai station can be difficult at times- in addition the area of Shanghai where the train station is can have absolutely crushing traffic (that is also the domestic airport).
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: some
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but was hoping for some advice for a short trip to Hangzhou.

I am looking for a one night stay in Hangzhou (I have already booked Amanfayun for the other nights) and was considering Banyan or FS. Having read the comments here about FS I am reconsidering that option. What is the Banyan like?

Also, what is the best way to get from Pudong airport to Hangzhou - taxi?
My flight arrives around 20:00 so alternatively I could head into town with the fast train and then take the train (from downtown?) to Hangzhou the next morning. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fliar
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but was hoping for some advice for a short trip to Hangzhou.

I am looking for a one night stay in Hangzhou (I have already booked Amanfayun for the other nights) and was considering Banyan or FS. Having read the comments here about FS I am reconsidering that option. What is the Banyan like?

Also, what is the best way to get from Pudong airport to Hangzhou - taxi?
My flight arrives around 20:00 so alternatively I could head into town with the fast train and then take the train (from downtown?) to Hangzhou the next morning. Any thoughts?
Get a driver to pick you up from Pudong and take you directly to your hotel in Hangzhou. All of the hotels you have listed above will arrange this for you and will most likely sending an Audi A6 or A8L depending on what you ask for. Drive will be less than 2 hours unless traffic is a problem. Do not head into the centre of Shanghai unless you want to- it will be slower not faster.

I don't know the Banyan- what i can suggest is that you consider staying somewhere directly on West lake for one night which is interesting. I have found for a West Lake stay the Shangri-La is another good option.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: some
does anyone have any recent experiences with Banyan?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Stayed at The National Hotel in West Lake, and had dinner on the Lake nice tour.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:36 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Fliar
does anyone have any recent experiences with Banyan?
No , it ' s been awhile ( possibly decades ) since we stayed at a Banyan - poor last experience in another location , but good to see you posting here again .

Why not Amanfayun & FS ?

Hope ending at Fayun . Have hotel send limo to pick you from SHA

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 25, 2014 at 10:08 am
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:06 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by satman40
Stayed at The National Hotel in West Lake, and had dinner on the Lake nice tour.
Erh , is this the one where Mao & the ' top brass ' used to stay at ?
If it is the same , then sure hope it ' s had major refurbishments / renovations since . It was in shambles some 30 years ago , cobwebs et al , & I refused to let our luggage be unloaded . I was so shocked that somehow whatever Mandarin 101 .. tones too , stored must have popped into gear from my subconsciousness @:-) , that they even got my message & understood my consternation .
To think that they were so proud of it , their so called prized property ..

Needless to say , they found another more acceptable hotel - can ' to recall which - still doesn't belong in this forum . Back then , I think none belonged here anyway
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Erh , is this the one where Mao & the ' top brass ' used to stay at ?
If it is the same , then sure hope it ' s had major refurbishments / renovations since . It was in shambles some 30 years ago , cobwebs et al , & I refused to let our luggage be unloaded . I was so shocked that somehow whatever Mandarin 101 .. tones too , stored must have popped into gear from my subconsciousness @:-) , that they even got my message & understood my consternation .
To think that they were so proud of it , their so called prized property ..

Needless to say , they found another more acceptable hotel - can ' to recall which - still doesn't belong in this forum . Back then , I think none belonged here anyway
I believe that is the Xihu State Guesthouse.

The first modern chain hotel I recall opening directly on Westlake was the Hyatt Regency- I think that was in 2003 IIRC?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I believe that is the Xihu State Guesthouse.

The first modern chain hotel I recall opening directly on Westlake was the Hyatt Regency- I think that was in 2003 IIRC?
I stayed in the Shangri-La circa 2001, and it wasn't new then.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I stayed in the Shangri-La circa 2001, and it wasn't new then.
Ah great point! I have also stayed at the Shangri-La however the first time was in 2004.

I do recall staying a few times at the Marco Polo prior to the opening of the Hyatt.......
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:04 pm

We stayed recently

We stayed at the Marriott not sure if it is a JW or not but it was beautiful and not a bad walk to West Lake. Food was excellent and room was small but well decorated and up to date with a fabulous bathroom. Lots of taxi available at hotel but going back at night we tried at the FS and it was impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.