Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Optimum time to book luxury hotels in advance

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Optimum time to book luxury hotels in advance

I am interested to see what people thought the optimum time to book luxury hotels in advance was. I have a short trip booked to Hong Kong and Tokyo in December. When looking on the sites of most of the main luxury brands in these locations I notice that their promotions do not run this far in advance. I have had similar issues before in the US and South Africa when I have booked flights 6 or 9 months before travel. Is there a standard timetable that the main brands put out their rates or promotions on or should I just book now on FHR or Virtuoso rates to get a decent deal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old May 23, 2012, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by belsize77
I am interested to see what people thought the optimum time to book luxury hotels in advance was. I have a short trip booked to Hong Kong and Tokyo in December. When looking on the sites of most of the main luxury brands in these locations I notice that their promotions do not run this far in advance. I have had similar issues before in the US and South Africa when I have booked flights 6 or 9 months before travel. Is there a standard timetable that the main brands put out their rates or promotions on or should I just book now on FHR or Virtuoso rates to get a decent deal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Personally, my travel--particularly leisure travel on the higher-end--tends to come relatively last minute. This means that even if there are deals and promotions available through various agents, I'm often unable to book them as I have a 24-48 hour window (sometimes less) to arrange accommodation. In this case, I typically place a call to a hotel manager, explain that I'd like to come in, ask somewhat bluntly about their occupancy, and get a sense of what's available. I've rarely had a problem securing a meaningful upgrade as well as a courtesy inclusion such as a bottle of champagne and other small but kind complimentary gestures. It never hurts to ask, particularly when a hotel is not completely booked up. I've also found that, if I've booked a hotel previously via Amex, they are happy to extend those benefits (and others) if I then continue to book directly through a manager.

Otherwise, I'll book through American Express Platinum directly, whose promotions tend to open up (very generally) no more than three to four months in advance. This echoes what you've found.

In your case, it wouldn't hurt to call the hotel, explain that you'd like to firm up your bookings very far in advance, and let them know either a promotional consideration you think is appropriate or a particular upgrade you'd enjoy, and see if they'll work with you.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:44 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
It's always best to book as soon as you know your dates. This puts a ceiling on your rate, even if they subsequently go up.

Hotels are not like airlines. If rates go down, or if promotions are introduced, it is very simple to revise the rate downward on your reservation - or take advantage of the promotion.

Last edited by DavidO; May 23, 2012 at 8:15 am
Old May 23, 2012, 10:11 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Remember, a lot of hotels now are using a floating point rate meaning that what you see can almost change from day to day. Lock in today and monitor
Old May 23, 2012, 10:47 am

Are they? Any links for this (not doubting, just curious to read more).

DavidO makes an excellent point ... no harm in booking immediately and then monitoring for better deals (as long as one doesn't book a "Pay in Advance" rate).
Old May 23, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by aa213bb
I do it all the time.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:07 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
From a luxury point of view, Four Seasons just moved to this model. Still working out the bugs. You can read CWT's take from 2008 HERE
Old May 23, 2012, 12:42 pm

Thanks ABG. I've stayed at 5 different FS properties so far this year (on 3 continents), and have not noticed this. Do you have any more info with respect to them and their implementation?

DavidO, thanks -- I didn't phrase it well, but I was after the info ABG provided concerning dynamic rates. Any info you have on this would be appreciated, especially with respect to 4S.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS >

they removed ratecards..

i feel like some suites no longer show up in online reservations, but i dont have any data on that particular item

Originally Posted by Ericka
DavidO has been able to leverage last minute bookings for us at some truly great hotels. If they still have the space a week out, they are more inclined to upgrade, etc.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 23, 2012 at 3:01 pm
Old May 23, 2012, 1:25 pm

I am planning a trip for next Jan. and found that in one or two cases emailing the hotel to ask about promotions resulted in being offered promotions that hadn't actually been extended out that far yet.
Old May 23, 2012, 2:47 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
There are many different ways to think about this.

On the one hand, if there is a specific hotel you want...book now. The last thing anyone needs is to have their "destination hotel" turn up full when they've already got plane tickets.

On the other hand, DavidO has been able to leverage last minute bookings for us at some truly great hotels. If they still have the space a week out, they are more inclined to upgrade, etc.
Old May 23, 2012, 6:05 pm
ABG

Thanks ABG. I've stayed at 5 different FS properties so far this year (on 3 continents), and have not noticed this. Do you have any more info with respect to them and their implementation?
Only my own anecdotal evidence....
Old May 23, 2012, 6:10 pm

I was after the info ABG provided concerning dynamic rates. Any info you have on this would be appreciated, especially with respect to 4S.
FS has gone to a dynamic pricing model, at least at some properties. As occupancy rises, rates at those properties will rise. Also, as hotels near full occupancy, Experience More promotions may disappear and be no longer available.

This is why early booking is a win-win, especially if there's no deposit involved.

When occupancy is strong, rates will rise and promotions will disappear - but you'll already have booked a lower rate with perhaps a free night or hotel credit.

When occupancy falls below expectations, rates can go down and promotions may appear … and I've always been able to get rates lowered and promotions added.
Old May 24, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I'd say book now if you know your dates and monitor, especially if it doesn't require a deposit.

If it does require a deposit, I'd still book first, monitor the upcoming promotions and mind the cancellation dates
Old May 24, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I usually book a couple of days or at most a week in advance. Depends on the property but normally if there is space that late in the game the hotels are pretty happy to provide decent rates or an upgrade. If not I just go someplace else... or go at another time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.