Wiki Posts
Search

Amankora - how to get there?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Amankora - how to get there?

Hello everyone,

I'm considering to do the trip to Amankora in Bhutan. I read that one should fly into Paro airport. Looking at flights in July, the best price from Bangkok to Paro on Bhutan Air is USD 1,700 for two persons - seems quite high.

Are there any thoughts out there on how to do this more cost effective?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by NikonDuser
Hello everyone,

I'm considering to do the trip to Amankora in Bhutan. I read that one should fly into Paro airport. Looking at flights in July, the best price from Bangkok to Paro on Bhutan Air is USD 1,700 for two persons - seems quite high.

Are there any thoughts out there on how to do this more cost effective?
They are also offering regular flights from Delhi now as well, are they not? Bangladesh too but I can't think how cheap that would need to be for it to be a viable alternative!

Having said that, Druk Air is your only commercial alternative, I believe. So actually not sure if they would be much cheaper out of Delhi. Also, anything but flying would be absolutely out of the question unless you have the patience of a saint (it is a long long drive from anywhere that you could fly to in India over really poor roads) and a butt of steel.

Bhutan is one of my absolute favorite places ever, so I would strongly encourage you to go there. However, you kind of have to deal with the fact that Druk Air is relatively pricey--although maybe not so much compared to Amankora itself. Depending on how long you stay, the flight is either a small part of the total cost or a large part. If you are looking for something less expensive in Paro, the Uma hotel was pretty good. We couldn't afford Amankora at the time, and by no means were we disappointed with Uma. The standard tourist hotels were interesting, clean, and overall, bearable, but nothing like Uma and certainly not Kora.

Last edited by ridefar; Mar 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
Drukair to Open New Services To Hong Kong And Singapore
www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fg%2Fa%2F2012%2F03%2F29%2Fprweb934 4419.DTL
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:31 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Drukair is the only airline which flies into Bhutan.
Since they have the monopoly, they are relatively pricey.
You can either fly in through Delhi or Bangkok (SIN and HKG following end of the year).
The not-so-civilized-option would be to try to fly cheaply to Kathmandu, and from there use Drukair for the final hop.

Just compare the prices through http://www.drukair.com.bt/, you won't find cheaper Drukair rates elsewhere.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Depends on where you are coming from - we came from California so oing through BKK made the most sense. We were really pleased with drunk air combined with the Aman service. They met us on arrival at BKK, helped us check in, had our visas ready, and we were on our way. Had great views of Mt. everest from the plane on way there.
I suppose if coming from Europe Dehli would make more sense. You will love Amankora!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Larkin
drunk air combined with the Aman service. They met us on arrival at BKK, helped us check in, had our visas ready
wow. dont recall this being posted before. ^

aug 27 2008 >
Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
GM (who's name I carelessly forgot after he introduced himself) is from Vancouver and has worked at other Amans including Amankora. It was nice hearing him talk and telling us about the upcoming Aman in New Delhi, or interesting tidbits such as if you fly from New Delhi to Paro via Kathmandu, you will be taking the only commercial flight that allows perfect views of the peak of Mount Everest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paro_Ai...d_destinations

until aman is sold there is aman new delhi
after aman is sold there is planned chedi new delhi

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 28, 2012 at 8:17 pm
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
wow. dont recall this being posted before. ^
I have just booked a 7 night trip and Amankora specifically encouraged me to route via BKK to take advantage of this service at the airport. I assume they will have the same arrangement at Singapore and Hong Kong when Drukair commences flights from those centres.

Now I just have to decide where to stay in BKK. Luckily there is so much helpful advice on exactly that question in this forum!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 5:24 pm

Just email Amankora and they will help you. I worked with Amankora directly and they organized the VISAS and had a packet waiting for us upon arrival in Bangkok at our hotel, then as I said met us at the airport and helped us check-in, etc. They also worked with me via email on our program - types of hikes and activities we wanted to do - level - easy, moderate, hard, etc. It was really terrific! One of the best trips we have ever had! Have a great time, I wish we could go back!!! We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental but that is my favorite Bangkok hotel and have been staying there for many years. I like the River Wing, river front State rooms with balcony, but as you said there are many great choices and great comments on the site.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: QF CL
Just email Amankora and they will help you. I worked with Amankora directly and they organized the VISAS and had a packet waiting for us upon arrival in Bangkok at our hotel, then as I said met us at the airport and helped us check-in, etc. They also worked with me via email on our program - types of hikes and activities we wanted to do - level - easy, moderate, hard, etc. It was really terrific! One of the best trips we have ever had! Have a great time, I wish we could go back!!! We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental but that is my favorite Bangkok hotel and have been staying there for many years. I like the River Wing, river front State rooms with balcony, but as you said there are many great choices and great comments on the site.
I have been very impressed with Amankora so far. They have our visa clearances and Drukair bookings underway and are extremely helpful with all our queries. I have high expectations for the trip!

I love MO (very longtime HK guest) and would like to be by the river, but my travelling companions are pushing for Sukhothai. It will be my first time in BKK so I am happy to go with their preference (on the basis that it gets a tick from forum members here).
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:31 am

We were really pleased with drunk air combined with the Aman service.
Drunk air or Drukair?? I hope not the former, especially considering the difficulty of the approach in Paro
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:50 am

Smile

Fortunately it was Drukair and not drunk! Oh I should turn off the iPad self correcting feature!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.