Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for Luxury Property Near (but not in) San Antonio, Texas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
Looking for Luxury Property Near (but not in) San Antonio, Texas

We will be spending 3 days in San Antonio for business, staying at meeting location, the Hyatt.

We'd love to take about 3 days before the meeting for short vacation, preferably in luxury type property, preferably out-of-town, within 2 hours driving distance. We could fly into another Texas city (Houston, Dallas?), drive to property, then on to San Antonio. Preference would be to fly in-and-out of SAT. We're not interested in city type properties, more isolated type places.

Any suggestions about luxury type property in Texas?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:38 am

Luxury is tough in this neck of the woods. My only thought would be the Inn at Dos Brisas which I've never been to but have heard the food is great. If you go please let us know.

http://www.dosbrisas.com/index.cfm
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:03 pm

Brooking is right on the mark when he/she says that Texas is a hotel desert. Totally agree about The Inn at Dos Brisas recommendation. It is the ONLY option outside of a city, but it's a bit of a trek from San Antonio. Nearest airport is Houston (100 km) and nearest train station is Taylor (110 km). I guess it's doable if you fly into Houston then drive.

It's a real foodie outpost, so unless you are into gourmet cuisine, it is perhaps not suitable, but yes, the food is very good indeed and the look of the place is quite European. What you have to be aware of is this is a restaurant with rooms - only 4 of them - so booking well ahead is vital.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this suggestion!

Thanks for this suggestion. I just took a look at web site and it looks promising. Yes, we could fly into IAH, take a nice drive to inn, spend a few days, and then head on the San Antonio. I thought I knew about all the Relais and Chateaux properties, but I've never heard of this place. Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at least one other FTer talked about their stay here.

also, i posted a fair amount of details.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
at least one other FTer talked about their stay here.

also, i posted a fair amount of details.
Where is the post by other FTer? Where is yours? I'd love to read them.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wintersummer
Where is the post by other FTer? Where is yours? I'd love to read them.
Take a look at this thread.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all this information. We might just book at stay there. This will be in mid-October.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
http://www.escondidaresort.com/

It's not too far from San Antonio (about 45 mins), but it's completely cut off from the world (no cell signal inside the canyon where it's located) and very, very well staffed. Great spa. Private chef who basically cooks whatever you want. I've rented out the owner's wing before and it was a nice getaway.

BN
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:41 am

More on Dos Brisas

A few updates on Dos Brisas:

The Austin paper reviewed it today. Article is currently here (may disappear): http://www.statesman.com/life/travel...t-2214456.html

Also, we had a tour of the property and dinner there in early February. In short, it is a pretty awesome property. Only thing I've been to that is similar is Post Ranch Inn (pre-expansion)--minus the ocean view of course. We called them to see if we could get a drink before dinner (we could, of course) and they told us to come early and they'd give us a tour of the property.

When we arrived, the concierge came over and loaded us into the electric golf cart for our tour. The first stop was the their newly built haciendas (5 of them I believe). These are spectacular houses. Private plunge pools, huge bathrooms (the article above states the bathrooms are 500+ sq feet), screened in porches, fireplaces (two), outdoor showers. I asked if the plunge pools were heated (it was a brisk 45 degrees that evening) and he said they were working on adding that--not a feature they had considered in the heat of the summer when these were built. Perhaps the neatest feature is they have a small prep kitchen at each hacienda that is staff accessible. So they can bring over room service, finish the plates, and then leave them in the dumb waiter like device without having to come into your room.

Next we toured the stables where they have 8-10 horses on property and keep their carriage for horse rides. If you are a horse lover and have the means, this is the property for you. You can also bring your own horse to stable. They have a show arena that they are looking to use for larger events (with a temporary wooden floor).

We stopped in their greenhouses to see the plants and vegetables the chef and gardeners are raising. The concierge mentions he likes to lend night vision binoculars to the guests so they can look at the wildlife that wanders across the 300 acre property.

Finally, we toured the smaller, original casitas (4). These are nice but since the haciendas are only $300 more ($700 vs $1000) I'd go hacienda every time. The casitas have shared walls.

Dinner was excellent if pricey. Five or 8 courses with 4 or 5 amuse bouches. The service was great and there were a surprising 4 tables taken--we were told only one of the rooms was occupied the Saturday night we visited.

In sum, if you have a need for the best luxury Texas has to offer, this is the way to go. Is it worth a special trip from across the country? If you are a horse lover, quite probably. If not, maybe not depends on your needs. Good food, great room, and unmatched service are our 3 biggest needs and Dos Brisas seems to come through by all accounts for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.