Search

The Conservatorium, Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
with FHR in US, can ask agent what upgrades are in contract

batmandds, did you speak to a manager?

i cant be only who doesnt care about amenities/credits..
(unless inexpensive 1 night stay in an entry level room)
I didn't speak with a manager. I just texted pricesquire and he took care of the rest. Since I was traveling with a family of four, the breakfast saved some decent money over four days. The spa isn't overpriced like many hotels I've been to lately so the credit went a long way as well ^
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Although my room wasn't ready upon arrival, the hard product at the Conservatorium is top notch. We were upgraded to Grand Duplex Suite from Deluxe Duplex room. Breakfast was excellent and we had a wonderful tasting menu dinner at Taiko. FHR has an 85 euro hotel credit which gives you some flexibility as opposed to a specific spa credit.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I now booked the Waldorf Astoria as the location is much better for me
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:08 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by offerendum
I now booked the Waldorf Astoria as the location is much better for me
Good choice IMHO. Please report here on FT about your experiences at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam.

It would be interesting to hear about your first-hand experiences. Thanks.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:19 am

I've stayed at the Conservatorium a couple of times and think it's one of the most visually stunning city hotels anywhere. Food & beverage is top notch and the concierge is very helpful as well. Only downside is the obvious fact that it is a bit of a walk to the city centre but otherwise you are in a good neighborhood.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by uggboy
Please report here on FT about your experiences at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam.
Of course!

One reason was the 2 star restaurant
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Travel Agent (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Ritz, etc.)
This is a review of the WA Amsterdam (albeit brief). That said, I did include some words on the Conservatorium, as I´m sure many here are debating between the two.

Just finished up a four-night trip to Amsterdam. The first two nights were at the Conservatorium, and the second two nights were at the Waldorf.

The Conservatorium was a complete WOW experience. I really had no expectations here, and maybe that helped. I found the staff here to be an 8/10, the soft product in general a 9/10, and the hard product a 10/10.

Rooms were gorgeous (saw 4-5 different rooms in total). Comfortable bedding, large bathrooms, great TV and tech set-ups, and huge closets. In general, the staff went above and beyond the call of duty. A bit terse and curt, but I think I´m just not used to that.

Breakfast was a complete 10 out of 10. The bread selection alone was wonderful, as were the hot/off the menu items.

The one issue - if there was any - was location. Yes, the WA had the better location, but let´s be honest - AMS is small as they come, and a walk to Dam Square took 22 minutes at a leisurely pace. It did feel we were on the bit of the outskirts, but in no way shape or form did this ´ruin´ or effect our stay. In fact, the shopping around the hotel was superb - both local and big brands - and I loved the location in relation to Vondel Park. Many of the city´s best restaurants are less than 10 minutes walk away, too.

I wouldn´t NOT book this hotel simply because it´s not on a canal, or because I don´t love the Museumplein. But I also would take note if you have mobility issues (don´t love walking, don´t love transportation methods like Uber or trams, or have a strong desire to have that ´typical´ on-the-canal experience.

I´d also add - in it´s own right - the location was a major plus for the Mrs (again, shopping), while I was chilling in Vondel Park daily.

SO...location - NOT a factor unless you make it one, or if your personal style doesn´t work with being off the canals, or if you ´need´ to be in a certain spot.

As for the Waldorf, maybe my expectations were too high, but I felt that the WA was a bit of a let down. I realize booking a category 2 room means my expectations should have been a bit lower, but having seen rooms in categories 1-3, I was a bit surprised how blase some of these set ups were. Given how much effort was put into the room in general, the bathrooms felt a bit too Hilton-y. The tiling was atrocious and I felt they used the same tiles at a Hilton Garden Inn as they did here. The showers were too small as well, and the toilet set up wasn´t my favorite.

Furthemore, I found the breakfast here to be sub-par at best (also very much a Hilton-y experience). Frankly, I´d go so far as to call it....bad?! (Pancakes and waffles had NO flavor whatsoever...no Dutch items on the menu - the waffles were Belgian-American style and the pancakes were American style - no Dutch pancakes to be had, nor could they accommodate a special request 2 days in advanced. The bread selection was hilariously supermarket bought. The list of issues is endless really...)

I also found the breakfast room to be awkardly small (especially at 100 keys), and extremely dark. Even in full sun, the room felt more like a basement than a breakfast room.

During breakfast, staff comes around and asks about your daily plans. They also whip out a map and try to ´create a daily experience´ for you. On the surface, this is a nice touch, very interactive. In reality, it´s poorly thought out. With your mouth full of food, trying to get caffeinated enough to keep your eyes open, and trying to read the newspaper or talk to your partner...sending around staff to interupt you (and that´s what it is - an interuption) is a poor concept.

Side note..., upon check-in, I casually let the hotel know that we were there celebrating an anniversary. A ´true´ luxury hotel would pick up on this tidbit and run with it - a welcome amenity, a note from the GM, a bottle of wine...something. Instead, we got nothing. This isn´t a case of DYKWIA or ´we want the red carpet treatment´, but it was a bit of a surprise.

By and large, it just didn´t feel like a ´true´ luxury hotel experience. A solid-stay...but nothing above and beyond. Overall, felt a bit too much like a generic Hilton experience. (The lobby was gorgeous BTW, but everything else felt more along the lines of so-so.)

May chalk this one up as expectations being too high. Not sure.
vuittonsofstyle and deer like this.

Last edited by Rossello321; Nov 28, 2017 at 5:25 am
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I'm not quite sure what your expectations were but this doesn't align with my stay at W-A Amsterdam in August whatsoever. A few notes:

1. We booked a Grand Deluxe Room, which is what we received (I believe this is the third category up), with a beautiful view of the canal. The hard product was sensational with little room for fault. Bathroom tiling problem? Not sure what you are talking about here. I'm trying to understand how the bathrooms were Hilton Garden Inn-y - were we staying at the same hotel? Dual vanities, separate tub, great shower (and water pressure), and if I remember correctly, heated towel racks.

2. I can agree that the breakfast room is a bit dark, but it is overlooking the garden which I found to be quite pleasant. I found the room rather cozy as it is not in an expansive space, so I have no qualms here. I can't share the same sentiment around food quality - everything we had was delicious, and we appreciated the dual hot buffet and a la carte ordering (usually it is a cold buffet + a la carte; on our last morning we were in a rush so appreciated the ability to get eggs without waiting). We try to avoid carbs like pancakes and waffles so I can't comment here, but the egg dishes we ordered were excellent. We were never bothered while eating to plan an itinerary, so no comment there. I will say breakfast service was not perfect for us, but I chalk this up to the very arrogant manager on duty while we were there.

3. We were not staying for a special occasion, but the hotel was kind enough to send up a delicious apple cake and cider on our second day. If you really want acknowledgement of a special occasion, wouldn't it be better to email the property beforehand, rather than mentioning at check-in?

4. You completely ignore the location of the W-A and its advantage over The Conservatorium. There's no debating the better overall location of the former, and I was surprised when I stumbled upon the latter on one of our walking tours ("it's all the way over here?").

Honestly I question the entirety of your review when you compared it to a Hilton property. Either you've never stayed at a Hilton or your expectations are out of whack. I'm no W-A advocate, but this was one of my better city stays, and your comments around hard product are very surprising.
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by callmedtop; Nov 28, 2017 at 10:39 am
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:41 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I'm not quite sure what your expectations were but this doesn't align with my stay at W-A Amsterdam in August whatsoever. A few notes:
Location is a question of prefenence. Conservatorium CAN be better than WA for some. I would normally prefer WA location, but if it´s a museum and perhaps concert trip Conservatorium is the way to go.

Agree that hard product at WA is well done, don´t share Rossello321s opinion about tiles. Found the bathroom (including size of shower) absolutely adequate. Never stayed at a Garden Inn but if this is the level I waste a lot of money

Regarding aniversary it´s a very American thing in my eyes. In Dutch culture it´s not that usual. Also I would advice to tell every hotel you are on an aniversary trip, only for the gifts (don´t do it, no discussion please). Had my birthday at WA, only got gratulation at check-in but nothing more. Can live with it. But I agree that many would feel better with some recognation. So this point is absolutely valid.

Think it´s no correct to question Rossello321s entire review. Don´t share many aspects and think WA Amsterdam is lightyears away from a regular Hilton but of course respect other peoples opinion.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by callmedtop

1. We booked a Grand Deluxe Room, which is what we received (I believe this is the third category up), with a beautiful view of the canal. The hard product was sensational with little room for fault. Bathroom tiling problem? Not sure what you are talking about here. I'm trying to understand how the bathrooms were Hilton Garden Inn-y - were we staying at the same hotel? Dual vanities, separate tub, great shower (and water pressure), and if I remember correctly, heated towel racks.

2. I can agree that the breakfast room is a bit dark, but it is overlooking the garden which I found to be quite pleasant. I found the room rather cozy as it is not in an expansive space, so I have no qualms here. I can't share the same sentiment around food quality - everything we had was delicious, and we appreciated the dual hot buffet and a la carte ordering (usually it is a cold buffet + a la carte; on our last morning we were in a rush so appreciated the ability to get eggs without waiting). We try to avoid carbs like pancakes and waffles so I can't comment here, but the egg dishes we ordered were excellent. We were never bothered while eating to plan an itinerary, so no comment there. I will say breakfast service was not perfect for us, but I chalk this up to the very arrogant manager on duty while we were there.

3. We were not staying for a special occasion, but the hotel was kind enough to send up a delicious apple cake and cider on our second day. If you really want acknowledgement of a special occasion, wouldn't it be better to email the property beforehand, rather than mentioning at check-in?

4. You completely ignore the location of the W-A and its advantage over The Conservatorium. There's no debating the better overall location of the former, and I was surprised when I stumbled upon the latter on one of our walking tours ("it's all the way over here?").

Honestly I question the entirety of your review when you compared it to a Hilton property. Either you've never stayed at a Hilton or your expectations are out of whack. I'm no W-A advocate, but this was one of my better city stays, and your comments around hard product are very surprising.
Sheesh...let´s not forget that reviews are subjective, not objective.

Maybe I was a bit hyperbolic, but I stand by my main point...that the WA felt a bit Americanized, and a bit Hilton-y.

Once I learn how to post pics, I´ll add the pics of the tiling I was referring to. (The tiles in my room were NOT like the ones you posted,)

I disagree with your statement that there´s ´no doubt´ that the WA location is better than the Conservatorium. I think it´s highly debatable. And depending on the purpose of your stay (First trip? Shopping? Concert? Museums?), I think you could go either way here.

I just didn´t think the WA warranted starting rates at 800EUR a night, especially considering the Conservatorium was starting at 500 a night.

Other notes:

1. I agree that the breakfast area looking out to the garden is ´nice´...but considering how dark AMS can get (and boy was it dark and rainy), the breakfast area just felt, well...quite depressing.
2. I think the hotel - in general - is quite gorgeous. But I wasn´t bowled over by the rooms, by any means.
3. Didn´t like that the rooms were 100% carpeted...maybe a pet peeve of mine, but carpets always feel dirty and blase to me. Like a cheap coverup of sorts.

So yeah...hyperbolic, yes...but questioning the entire (subjective) review simply because I thought it was too Hilton-y...seems to be just as hyperbolic

ANYWAYS, this is a thread on the Conservatorium, not the WA; so I´ll stick to that. I´ll repeat: Conservatorium is now my favorite hotel in AMS (FWIW, I´ve stayed at the Dylan, Andaz, WA, Conserv, Intercon, W, and De L´Éurope.)

And lastly, if it were my first trip to AMS, yeah, I´d probably go with the Waldorf on the canal location alone...but considering this was my 12th (!) trip here, I´d take Conservatorium (and it´s debatable!) location every time.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:53 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I'd take the Waldorf over the Conservatorium any day. The tiling in the Conservatorium bathrooms all over the walls and ceiling looks like a cheap rehab gone bad. And for what it's worth, that's actually cheap material that you can find at any big box store.

I've found that the most high end options are luxury house rentals in AMS.

I'd rank things this way: Nice Airbnb, WA, Andaz, Dylan, Conservatorium, and frankly, I'm not 100% sure Conservatorium even belongs in the luxury travel forum. It's definitely more middle of the road in my opinion as a less expensive option.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DSI
I'm not 100% sure Conservatorium even belongs in the luxury travel forum. It's definitely more middle of the road in my opinion as a less expensive option.
Care to elaborate? IE, which room category you booked, why your stay was so bad as to claim they´re not even a luxury hotel, what happened in general, etc?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Conservatorium is most definitely a luxury hotel. First, it's not cheap. Second, the hard product is beautiful. Bang and olufsen TV's aren't found in Holiday Inns... just saying. Sounds like someone had a bad experience there making a generalization which doesn't hold true.
Rossello321 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:06 pm

-- --

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.