Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yangon, Myanmar

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by nba1017
Anyone aware of any of the major luxury chains emerging in Yangon yet?
Not yet, which means that now is the time to go. Just look at the way a place like Bora Bora slid rapidly downhill into honeymoon hell as soon as the big chains arrived.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nba1017
Anyone aware of any of the major luxury chains emerging in Yangon yet?
Shangri-La has been there for many years under the Traders brand and GHM has also been operating for quite some time.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Governors Residence. They want to renovate but it so busy, they can't.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Off topic, but does any one know if you can get a visa on arrival for travel into Burma.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by 5khours
Off topic, but does any one know if you can get a visa on arrival for travel into Burma.
We had to get in advance when we went on USA passports last year. Had to do in advance as embassy was only in DC and took time. Maybe different now with sanctions lifted. Check US travel abroad website.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by 5khours
Of course we have a thread dedicated to this subject. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...elsewhere.html
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:37 am

We just came back and The Strand was the worst hotel experience we had in all of Burma.
Our room was old, faded and in disrepair - windows didn't work, mold in the bathroom, furniture nicked and past the sell date. This is a place trading on the good old days, when it probably did offer a wonderful environment. The lobby was full of picture snapping tourists and the neighborhood is dusty and not pleasant for walking because of the broken up sidewalks, etc. Staff was indifferent, too. I'm not sure about a "high floor," since there are only two floors of rooms - we were on 1. This is a small hotel, with none of the Raffles grandeur. My suggestion: stop by for a look at the lobby, have a drink and stay elsewhere.

The Governor's Residence, where we stayed at the front end of the trip, was sublime. It was an oasis at the end of a day of sightseeing, with much better food, staff and attitude than we found at The Strand.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Mickidon
We just came back and The Strand was the worst hotel experience we had in all of Burma.
How very sad, I'm sure you're right, so I'll just remember it as we found it some years ago.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pausanias
How very sad, I'm sure you're right, so I'll just remember it as we found it some years ago.
Agreed.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Let's put it into perspective. Myanmar just opened up a little over a year ago. The Strand and Governor's are both in need of renovation. Governor's is in a wonderful setting. The rooms are schedule for renovation but the place is so busy that they don't want to close it during that period. Expect both to get worse before they get better.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:13 pm

Ill throw in another plug for the renovated rooms at Traders.
It's not luxury but this place looked a whole lot better to me than Strand ever did. I very much enjoyed the stay there.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sedonanative
Ill throw in another plug for the renovated rooms at Traders.
It's not luxury but this place looked a whole lot better to me than Strand ever did. I very much enjoyed the stay there.
Good recognition for Golden Circle members as well and not a bad Horizon Club.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
we stayed at the Parkroyal down the street from the traders hotel and thought that it was solid. I think that the prices are pretty comparable so thought that I'd throw it out there as another option to consider
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Accor is opening up a MGallery hotel in Naypyidaw later this year, along with some Novotels as they re-enter the country.
Old May 11, 2013, 2:57 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by vincentb89
The Strand is managed by GHM (chedi).
The hotel is no longer on the GHM website. Does anyone know the story? My booking shows "To be deleted" that is rather alarming.

Originally Posted by speedbird001
Governors Residence. They want to renovate but it so busy, they can't.
Supposedly it is going to be closed for renovation later this year. Does anyone know more?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.