Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All change at Four Seasons

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:16 am
Original Poster

All change at Four Seasons

Now Jim FitzGibbon is retiring, is there anyone left at Four Seasons who still remembers the vision?

Four Seasons Announces New Organisation Structure. Jim FitzGibbon to retire; new senior leadership roles appointed.

Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts announced today that, after an inspiring and dynamic career, Jim FitzGibbon, President Worldwide Hotel Operations, has decided to retire. He will continue to be involved with the company in an advisory role as Four Seasons transitions to a new organisational structure. He will officially relinquish these transitional responsibilities at the end of 2012.

“We will all miss Jim’s leadership, business acumen, warmth and humour. All of us at Four Seasons have benefited enormously from the lasting contributions Jim has made to our organisation and culture,” said Katie Taylor, CEO, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts. “In his distinguished 35 year career, Jim has mentored and stewarded many of the company’s current and future leaders, leaving behind a solid foundation for succession, and a lasting legacy of leadership and friendship. I am personally grateful for the tremendous support he has given me over our many years working together.”

An Illustrious Career

Jim FitzGibbon’s career at Four Seasons has spanned ten posts in almost as many countries, beginning with an entry level position in the Front Office at the Inn on the Park Toronto and culminating in his appointment to President, Worldwide Hotel Operations in 2006. Since that time, Jim has helped Four Seasons navigate successfully through the recent global recession, and also gathered an enormous wealth of ties and relationships around the world, both within Four Seasons and with guests and customers. His empathy and engaging personality have ensured him a wide range of friends and supporters, and his steady, unfailing sense of fairness and inclusion has earned him the respect of all who know him well.

“I count myself exceedingly fortunate to have been able to spend my career with Four Seasons,” said Jim FitzGibbon. “The opportunity to grow and learn with the company, and to be able to lead a team of the most talented and passionate people in the business, has been tremendously rewarding. While I will certainly miss the day to day interactions with our guests and employees, I know that I have formed friendships that will last a lifetime.”

A New Generation of Leadership

As Four Seasons transitions to a new generation of leadership, it is also transitioning to a new and elevated hotel operational structure. For some time now, the company has been adding resources to each region, in recognition of the need to have on the ground expertise in areas such as finance, marketing communications and F&B.

Four Seasons is now adding two regional Presidents of Hotel Operations for Asia Pacific and the Americas to its executive team. Antoine Corinthios already fulfills that role for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

These appointments are consistent with Four Seasons long term focus on promotion from within and strengthen the company’s ability to deliver best in class results and sustainable growth in the years ahead.

* Chris Hart is appointed President, Hotel Operations - Asia Pacific. In this role, Chris will continue to provide strategic leadership for hotel operations throughout the Asia Pacific region, which is the fastest growing part of the company. All Regional Vice Presidents in Asia Pacific will continue to report to Chris, and he will report directly to Katie Taylor. Born in Canada and educated in England, Chris joined Four Seasons in Edmonton in 1984, progressing to increasingly senior roles within the company. In January 2008 he was promoted to Senior Vice President, Operations, Asia Pacific. Chris will continue to be based in Singapore.

* Craig Reid is appointed President, Hotel Operations - Americas. In this new role, Craig will assume responsibility for hotel operations in Canada, the United States and Central and South America. All Americas Regional Vice Presidents will report to Craig, and he will report directly to Katie Taylor. Born in Lima, Peru, Craig spent his formative years in Spain, France, Switzerland, and eventually England. He started with Four Seasons in Washington, DC in 1983. Craig was promoted to Senior Vice President, Operations, Americas in 2007, overseeing half of the company’s Americas portfolio. Craig will continue to be based out of Dallas, Texas.

In addition to these important appointments, Four Seasons is also creating a new executive position to oversee global product and innovation.

* Chris Hunsberger is appointed Executive Vice President, Product and Innovation. In this newly created role, Chris will be responsible for overseeing the company's product evolution and innovation efforts. Guy Rigby, Vice President, Food & Beverage, Americas and Scott Taber, Vice President Rooms, Americas, will report directly to Chris, and Chris will report directly to Katie Taylor. Hunsberger began his career with Four Seasons in 1981 at The Pierre, New York (then a Four Seasons hotel). In January 2008, Chris was promoted to Senior Vice President, Operations, Americas. He will continue to be based out of Washington, DC.

These three operational appointments are effective August 1, 2011.

Having strong leadership for Four Seasons legal, compliance and risk management activities is also becoming increasingly important as the company opens properties in more new and diverse markets. Effective immediately:

* Sarah Cohen is appointed Executive Vice President and General Counsel. This appointment recognises the influential role that Sarah has fulfilled as General Counsel since 2009, both as legal advisor and risk management strategist as the company continues to increase the number of jurisdictions in which it operates. Sarah’s significant thought leadership and legal expertise in leading an increasingly complex portfolio of businesses will continue to help shape and guide growth strategy and long term development plans. Sarah joined Four Seasons in 1998 as Corporate Counsel, progressing to increasingly senior roles within the company. In 2006 she was promoted to Senior Vice President and was subsequently promoted to General Counsel in August 2009. In this role, Sarah will continue to report to Katie Taylor. Sarah is based out of the Toronto Corporate office.

“The structure that we have announced today has been designed to reflect the future needs of the company as we grow and evolve,” Katie Taylor said. “It will enable us to provide strategic and senior leadership as close to our regional operating businesses as possible, responding to the diverse business challenges of each region in a way that has the most impact. The structure also allows us to continue to grow future leaders from within the company. On behalf of everyone at Four Seasons, I congratulate our new leaders on these significant roles.”
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Uggh. Jim has reached out to me on several occasions. It'll hurt FS for him to go.

------ Although I never did get a good explanation from him about the FS Maui Modern Family fiasco. That remains a strange FS black mark. -------
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:22 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was this the guy who brought us FS East Palo Alto and FS Westlake Village? If so, it is possible to do better!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Was this the guy who brought us FS East Palo Alto and FS Westlake Village? If so, it is possible to do better!
No, Jim is President of Operations. He doesn't decide which hotel Four Seasons will operate - that's down to Development + input from HO. I agree that some of the new crop of FS hotels & resorts are not exactly inspired, which is why I worry that once he is gone, there will be no stopping the rest of them.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
The true story is that FS is no more the reference in the hotel industry.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75
And why's that?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Really? Who is?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: Lots of airlies, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton unknown, lower than dirt at many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Now Jim FitzGibbon is retiring, is there anyone left at Four Seasons who still remembers the vision?

Four Seasons Announces New Organisation Structure. Jim FitzGibbon to retire; new senior leadership roles appointed.

“We will all miss Jim’s leadership, business acumen, warmth and humour. All of us at Four Seasons have benefited enormously from the lasting contributions Jim has made to our organisation and culture,” said Katie Taylor, CEO, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts.
Is there a way to get an email to Katie Taylor?

Last edited by Numb; Nov 13, 2011 at 4:13 am
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Numb
Is there a way to get an email to Katie Taylor?
Katie Taylor is not involved in Operations. Hotel Ops are now handled via three Vice Presidents - Americas, Asia Pacific and Europe - so it would depend upon which region you had the problem in.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
FS East Palo Alto was quite the shocker.
Rosewood got the prime spot in the Silicon Valley although some of the buildings sit rather close to 280. Enormous improvement over 101/epa.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton nothing, most of the airlines, a bunch of grocery stores (sorry couldn't resist)
Katie Taylor is not involved in Operations. Hotel Ops are now handled via three Vice Presidents - Americas, Asia Pacific and Europe - so it would depend upon which region you had the problem in.
Thanks for the info Vuittonsofsyle

Last edited by InJapan; Nov 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm Reason: not appropriate
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: Lots of airlies, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton unknown, lower than dirt at many others
Thanks for the reply vuittonsofstyle

I was hoping someone from FS was lurking here on FT corporate and wanted to know about a guests problems at one of their properties, one can hope.
I have pretty much exhausted contacts to everything under FS World corp.

If the VP of the Americas, is the last contact for a guest problems, I guess I will not be able to resolve my issues with FS, seems my last chance to get answers would be to write about it indepth and posting it in a blog, I have run out of options it seems.

regards vuittonsofstyle
Numb
Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Numb
Thanks for the reply vuittonsofstyle

I was hoping someone from FS was lurking here on FT corporate and wanted to know about a guests problems at one of their properties, one can hope.
I have pretty much exhausted contacts to everything under FS World corp.

If the VP of the Americas, is the last contact for a guest problems, I guess I will not be able to resolve my issues with FS, seems my last chance to get answers would be to write about it indepth and posting it in a blog, I have run out of options it seems.

regards vuittonsofstyle
Numb
I have found FS to be a corporation run by adults. The GM of the location in question here, I assume, has not given you a reasonable response? This is a tad surprising and indicates that perhaps your issues are not reasonable. Should a matter have to go to corporate I find that they respond somewhat slowly, but do respond. And this is after Jim's retirement.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:22 am

As for the GM, he did get involved, a manager before him also, what a great guy the manager was, but that did not alleviate my concerns, because some of these concerns were bigger than the GM or the manager. Yes, I heard from the America's VP, who was hardly concerned about my problems, did not read the problems I outlined and commented on the wrong information, made a case for things that were not even a concern and tried to cover the real issues with fallacy, so I can see your point, maybe, it really was not a problem for corporate.

Numb

Last edited by Numb; Nov 15, 2011 at 11:41 pm Reason: sorry off topic
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:39 am

At the risk of taking this thread even further off-topic, Numb with respect I have absolutely no idea what the problems you encountered were, nor really is it clear exactly who you have contacted. Perhaps this was not what you intended to cover in your post, but given its length I rather assumed you were going to give us some background so we could advise you on what further steps you could take and/or whether your complaints were valid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.