King Pacific Lodge - B.C.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

King Pacific Lodge - B.C.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:59 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
my real fishing clients go to Langara Lodge..... my last chat with a western canada friend he mentioned positive feedback on Sonora Resort.

Clayoquot and The Wick are steady gotos
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ABG
my real fishing clients go to Langara Lodge..... my last chat with a western canada friend he mentioned positive feedback on Sonora Resort.

Clayoquot and The Wick are steady gotos
Wick has a good restaurant however I would say 4* at best.

Langara has very good fishing- this is correct although I think Rivers Inlet is as good and you can book the whole resort- also I like the guides at Rivers Inlet more.

Sonora I have not been too however I have heard good things.

I am not sure what a "real fishing" client is however anywhere in the Charlottes will deliver this experience if you can manage the boat in rough seas by yourself.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Are you looking for the best fishing?

If so I would go with Rivers Inlet- not luxury however certainly the best guides and the fly-in only location puts you very close to the salmon runs. We have organized there a couple of times- while it is not inexpensive the quality of the fishing is about the best in the Pacific Northwest unless you want to head up into the Charlottes where the weather is considerably rougher and you really need to know what you are doing if heading out without a guide.
Don't wanna fish. I'm looking for nature and scenery.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Don't wanna fish. I'm looking for nature and scenery.
In which case Clayquot is a much better option.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Wick has a good restaurant however I would say 4* at best.

Langara has very good fishing- this is correct although I think Rivers Inlet is as good and you can book the whole resort- also I like the guides at Rivers Inlet more.

Sonora I have not been too however I have heard good things.

I am not sure what a "real fishing" client is however anywhere in the Charlottes will deliver this experience if you can manage the boat in rough seas by yourself.
The Wick restaurant is barely 4* in my experience. Personally I find it very uptight given the setting--they are trying for French service is a very relaxed setting, and I find it kind of jarring. They don't have a dress code and as a consequence you find people dressed from one end of the spectrum to another. The food is good to very good, but not truly great (except for the odd dish on the menu). Ms. Ridefar and I prefer Sobo in town. It is definitely downscale from the Wick, but it is solid Bistro fare at a reasonable price with very high quality.

Overall I really like the Wick, but it is certainly not as good as most "luxury" properties discussed here. It wins for the location in the absence of any real competition. Service is really good, most of the time, but not consistently really good never mind great. Not all rooms are wonderful, and the suite we stayed in a couple times ago was a waste of money due to really poor layout of the living area. We keep going because of the truly amazing beauty the location, but set your expectations lower than world class. Lower than the better 4S or MO properties for that matter.

I won't comment much on Clayquot as I haven't stayed there, but I don't get the value prop on them. Granted value is relative, but for their prices I can fly in J or F to almost any Aman in the world and stay for a week and fly back. It just doesnt add up for me.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:09 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
only into the fishing experience.... couldn't care about what vintage the wine is or the spa treatments available.

The Wick is a good hotel built in an amazing location.... That's how I sell it.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ABG
only into the fishing experience.... couldn't care about what vintage the wine is or the spa treatments available.

The Wick is a good hotel built in an amazing location.... That's how I sell it.
I think that is a fair way to sell the Wick.

If into only the fishing experience- then either head to the Charlottes or Rivers Inlet. Neither are luxury- in fact "functional rustic" could be a good description- however they have excellent food and good service- and most importantly very good guides and new boats that can move quite quickly and ably in the weather- and the best locations for actually catching Salmon. Every time I have been to Rivers Inlet I have reached my catch limit- and smaller fish we always release- difficult most years to say that in a number of fishing resorts now.

Interestingly I stayed in the townhouse/condos built very close to the Wick last summer- while not luxury the accommodations were very high quality and had direct beach access- also if renting two together you had a complete house so to speak which was very private and a kitchen in Tofino is well appreciated as well as proximity to Long Beach.

I agree with other posters that I also prefer Sobo to the Wick restaurant which is good value at lunch however at dinner I think is more difficult to justify on a regular basis (special occasion OK).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:25 pm

I enjoyed The Wick when I lived in Vancouver ...a lovely weekend getaway.

I would NOT recommend it as a destination in and of itself. As part of a larger BC/Pacific NW itinerary? Perhaps, yes.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Can anybody explain what Clayoquot has that justifies >$2000/day PER PERSON? For two people, this place is nearly $30k for 7 nights. It makes Aman look cheap in comparison. I never thought I'd put those two words in the same sentence.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:50 am

Can anybody explain what Clayoquot has that justifies >$2000/day PER PERSON? For two people, this place is nearly $30k for 7 nights. It makes Aman look cheap in comparison. I never thought I'd put those two words in the same sentence.
Agree! Crazy pricing.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume it is the activities that make this expensive- however I do have to agree it seems very expensive. Perhaps a three day trip would make sense- more than that I would also think seems a bit excessive for that area- the other way to do this would be to charter a boat and sail up there- which I am quite sure you can do for less than 30K a week- or 20K you could get a very nice boat with crew all costs in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.