Search

Botswana Lodges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Botswana Lodges

Folks;

Looking for some guidance from those that have traveled to Botswana. I have some flights booked, but have yet to actually book any lodges. I am just starting that process, and after looking at some prices, I am frankly a bit shocked.

It is pretty hard to make Earth Lodge in SA look cheap, but many of the Wilderness Safaris lodges in Botswana manage to do exactly that. (And Amans become the equivalent of a Holiday Inn by comparison.) Prices for the better lodges seem to be anywhere from $2200 to $4000 per night based on double occupancy in high season.

So, for those of you that have traveled to Botswana and other African safari locations, I am interested in hearing your perceptions of the value of the Botswana experience. "Is it worth it?" is always a relative thing, but did you think that Botswana offered a signficantly better/different experience than other major destinations in Africa? For reference, we have been to Namibia (and really enjoyed a few Wilderness Safaris' properties there) and to South Africa (Earth Lodge was our only luxury lodge on that trip).

Any comments or feedback that would help me rationalize this, or alternately say the heck with it and return to the Kruger/Sabi Sabi/Londolozi area in SA, would be very much appreciated.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
I can't remember the Orient-Express ones being nearly that much when I was there, but we're talking five years ago or so. I do remember that there was a lot bundled into that price: internal flights, all meals, drinks, wine with dinner, and two guided safaris a day, sometimes a night one on top of that.

Botswana has been quite progressive in keeping the lodges small and sustainable, so there is a premium because of that. You won't be sharing your sightings with 20 other Land Rovers.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Yes, definitely go for Botswana. It a great wildnerness experience, almost the "true" africa that we dream about.

During a recent trip to Botswana I stayed at the Orient Express properties - Khwai River lodge was by far the best and I would highly recommend. I would not recommend the Savute Elephant camp and Eagle Island is a maybe depending on whether you like watersports (ie. bird watching from a boat, up some up close experiences with crocodiles and hippos). The helicopter ride at Eagle Island was also good fun.

I recall these camps were about $2000 a day for 2 people The other place the guides recommended was Mombo camp on Chief's island, as this is the only place in Botswana that you can see rhinos, as they have been reintroduced on the island.

These trips are all-inclusive, including flights and all meals. So not as outrageous as you might originally think. I would avoid Abu Camp based on the reports of some of the guides as the elephants are dangerous (ie. reports of them attacking and killing staff and guests) and you appearently can not see animals easily from them.

The other thing about safari as far as containing cost is not to go for too long. I was bored by the fourth day and really looking forward to getting back to Johannesburg and then down to Cape Town, again this will come down to personal preference and some people will be mesmerised by the experience and could go for longer, but by not booking an endlessly long safari you can certainly contain costs.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

botswana went up last year i think it was. literally all of them. IIRC mostly standard pricing, suggesting taxes etc. at least i recently read that botswana is the least corrupt country in africa. how much that says i dont know.

(singita has also gone up, although i think they leveled off some or dropped slightly.)

lots of people here have done botswana. including &beyond (formerly cc africa) and wilderness safaris.

you can find threads and discussion on this exact question.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 3, 2011 at 7:07 pm
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:59 pm

We just came back from Botswana a month ago and absolutely loved. Botswana is a cost cost-low density safari destination, and you won't be competing with large number of vehicles around the animals. This was our first safari trip and according to other safari "experts" we talked to, the game viewing in Botswana is second to none. Wilderness Safaris offers Classic Camp category, which is much cheaper than their Premier Camps. I have an amazing travel agent who specializes in Botswana if you need a travel agent for Wilderness Safaris camps.

I'll be posting my review of Little Mombo, Kings Pool, Jao and Savuti Camp soon.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:01 am
Original Poster

OK, thanks for the feedback everyone, it is much appreciated. Seems like Botswana is a good place to go--and some of the suggestions are definitely a little more reasonable than the high end WS properties.

If anybody has a good travel agent they are comfortable pm'ing me, please do!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:30 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Botswana = Magic

These properties are really all inclusive - excellent meals, snacks, sundowners, SA wines, game drives, mokoro rides and other similar experiences. Exceptional service. It's a lot but it is actually a great value.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ericka
Botswana = Magic

These properties are really all inclusive - excellent meals, snacks, sundowners, SA wines, game drives, mokoro rides and other similar experiences. Exceptional service. It's a lot but it is actually a great value.
Thanks for the comment Ericka. I have read your reviews on Botswana lodges, and I am really looking forward to going. Seeing the watery side of Africa will be really cool after doing two desert/semi-desert type trips to Namibia and SA before that.

We also just got back from Amanwana, Amanusa, and Amankila. I think you spoke very highly of at least a couple of them, and we certainly found them all to be pretty impressive. Amanwana for the location and the great service, and Amankila for the property and the service (which was probably the best of any Aman we have been to, excepting perhaps only Amanpulo).
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Smile

I was in Botswana about a year ago - at Xudum (an &Beyond lodge) - agree with all who say it is worth going to. A completely different experience from Singita, for instance. The water is wonderful, the mokoro wildlife viewing is awesome. The all-inclusive was extremely all-inclusive - more food than I could ever eat, SA wines are very good, a special dinner out in the bush. And the wildlife there was exceptional (a tree with five lions on one branch and a leopard in the branches above them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.