Best Ritz Carlton in California

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Ritz Carlton in California

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by robyng
I think the OP has perhaps left the building .

But I wouldn't necessarily take as a given your preference of SF over Los Angeles. They are very different kinds of cities. And after quite a few trips - I like Los Angeles more than San Francisco. It's an "on the one hand - on the other hand" thing.
Hmm... We're opposite sides of the coin on this. I'm a toss-up between the two greater metropolitan areas, but I find SF as a much more enjoyable in-city location than LA.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by trojanman
RC LA is shiny and new, but I find the actual city of LA boring (and I live here!). The excitement of LA Live wears off within the first 24 hours. Then you'll find yourself driving 30-60 minutes to do anything fun.
I sort of disagree. Not only is the RC LA shiny and new, it's probably the best physical property RC has in the US now. And if you are attending an event at LA Live or the Staples Center, its really a great choice. I lived in downtown LA for a couple years or so and I find it very interesting with lots to do. I know most Angelenos disagree, but most Angelenos have never lived there.

But if you prefer the beach instead, then go with one of the other choices.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:44 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Hmm... We're opposite sides of the coin on this. I'm a toss-up between the two greater metropolitan areas, but I find SF as a much more enjoyable in-city location than LA.
Well - since you're "NY Banker" (although you seem to live in CT) - you can't exactly think of the Los Angeles metro area as a NE kind of city. More like a suburb on huge amounts of steroids. E.g., - no way to do the place without a car. When we go to Los Angeles - we always have a car. And I always plan days on the basis of what's here and what's there. For example - we're spending 6 days there this September. And one day we will probably go for Chinese lunch in the San Gabriel Valley and an afternoon at the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena (fairly close to one another). Another day might be lunch and an afternoon in Santa Barbara, Last trip we did lunch in Santa Monica and an afternoon at the new Getty Museum in Malibu. It's kind of like in Manhattan. You wouldn't stay in midtown - have lunch in the Meatpacking District - and then go to the Whitney. Too much schlepping around.

FWIW - I love the strip of modern design stores along Beverly Blvd. Nothing like it anywhere else in the US, And then if you're into celebrity sightings - you can do lunch at the Ivy (at my age - kind of old - I wouldn't recognize most current celebs if I fell on them - I did recognize Robin Williams when he was dining at a restaurant in Manhattan where we had dinner last week).

And just FWIW - when it comes to San Francisco - a lot of the public transportation is lousy even when it comes to things in the city - like the de Young and the Legion of Honor Museums. Cab service is lousy too (like getting a cab in Manhattan on a Friday night at 7:30 when it's raining).

Anyway - next time you wind up in Los Angeles (I suspect involuntarily) - give a holler and I'll give you some suggestions how to plan a trip Robyn
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by stimpy
I sort of disagree. Not only is the RC LA shiny and new, it's probably the best physical property RC has in the US now. And if you are attending an event at LA Live or the Staples Center, its really a great choice. I lived in downtown LA for a couple years or so and I find it very interesting with lots to do. I know most Angelenos disagree, but most Angelenos have never lived there.

But if you prefer the beach instead, then go with one of the other choices.
The Ritz Carlton in downtown L.A. is now where the action is and it is the property with more buzz than any other hotel (until the Bel Air reopens in Oct).
Downtown "Live" is filled with a multitude of great restaurants, theatre, and the RC downtown boasts WP 24 which is Wolfgang Puck's stunning new restaurant featuring exquisite views and delicious, albeit, overpriced Chinese food. Great place for a drink and appetizers..
Downtown L.A. is really a lot of fun. There is also the Museum of Contemporary Art, Disney Hall, Staples Center for sports and/or concerts.
Have fun!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
RC LA

Here is a thread on the RC LA that I started back when it first opened. I'm sure it is much improved now that they have had some time to really get running.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...s-angeles.html
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:20 pm

WOW, these destinations are SO different from each other. If you want a classy, city vacation then definitely the RC in SF. Beautiful property.

I agree with all the comments about Laguna Niguel. They recently went through a major renovation and should look really nice. Hard to believe that place has been there 20+ years. I remember when it opened! It was in all the newspapers, travel mags, quite the hullabaloo over it. That really is more of a relaxing, beachy type vacation than the two big cities.

Personally, I would pick SF over LA, but it really depends on what you like, what you want to do, if weather is a factor, time of the year.

Lake Tahoe is really beautiful - done very lodge like. It is definitely the place you want to go when skiing, but it is kind of isolated and you would really want to be in the mood for a mountain vacation. Also very beautiful in the summer.

SO... what are you in the mood for???
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
I've always made it clear I am a fan of the RC Laguna Niguel, but I wanted to provide an updated review from the perspective of an event attendee.

Just attended a 2-day wedding ceremony & celebration this weekend. Noticeably gone was the staff member they used to have right at the front doors greeting people and directing guests where to go. That was the only substantive step down in service I noticed.

Overall, this weekend's events reaffirmed the RC LN as my favorite oceanfront property in California, and perhaps the finest oceanfront property in the lower 48.

The renovated decor is holding up well even several years after the renovations were completed. Cleanliness is superb, and the staff are a real class act. There were a number of instances where staff members went above and beyond during the reception. This property's staff is one of the best examples of "Ladies and Gentlemen serving Ladies and Gentlemen."

IMHO, the pool is certainly the weakest link in the resort, and I am also not a fan of the rooms facing the pool / inland view. If you can afford an oceanfront room or suite, I believe you'll be in for one of the best oceanfront experiences around...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: DL KM
Thanks for that update, trojanman. A friend of mine has been trying to get me to visit that RC for years, and your post may have pushed me to actually do so this year.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Laguna Niguel if you want the southern california beach experience.

SF if you want a city.

Tahoe if you want to hit the mountain.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:29 pm

Staying here on Saturday night. Are there any free parking nearby the hotel like St Regis does?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
I fell in love with Half Moon Bay when I visited last time. The scenic setting on the ocean is unbeatable in my book.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by omarhaydar
I fell in love with Half Moon Bay when I visited last time. The scenic setting on the ocean is unbeatable in my book.
The Setting is great, but the hotel itself is medicore in my eyes. I arrived and saw the chaos at the door and had nearly enough
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
The Setting is great, but the hotel itself is medicore in my eyes. I arrived and saw the chaos at the door and had nearly enough
I agree. the setting is beautiful, but we were unimpressed with the hotel.

Has anyone stayed at the RC Palm Springs yet?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
A quick update on RC LN.

Stayed in a "pool view" room. Very comfortable bed, beautiful decor. 3rd floor has larger balconies, which we enjoyed. Bathroom design is dated but the hardware is still nice. The most negative thing I can say about the room: tub/shower with curtain. Hate shower curtains. Beach was lovely but not having any service at beach level may be problematic for some (aside from a beach butler to set up chairs/umbrellas). The crowd at the hotel (and the public beach) is more upscale and calm than Montage imho. Much more of a local crowd at the beach here, compared to the touristy Montage. Ate at Raya, decent food, nothing amazing. 180blu has ok cocktails, again, nothing amazing. Would go back here over St. Regis and Montage. Surf&Sand is also a good alternative closer to Laguna.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:14 pm

Have stayed recently in Half Moon Bay, RCLA, and San Francisco.

Half Moon Bay is still my 'sentimental' favorite. I love the location, and I could sit looking out over the ocean my entire stay and be happy (I have not experienced bad fog during my stays). The bar, restaurant, ocean terrace, main restaurant (Navio) are excellent. Club Lounge is phenomenal - great variety of food and drink options, friendly and helpful staff.

RCLA was also a lot of fun, with another spectacular Club Lounge. The lounge had a large variety of food at meal times, an excellent staff, good wine selection. Rooftop pool was fun, lots of umbrellas for shade and good poolside food and drink service. We had some late night drinks and sushi at Nest, also very good. However, we were here because of a nearby event (convention center, Staples, LA Live all right here). Otherwise, this location would be a challenge.

RCSF is of the old 'Grand Dame' type. They are, however, beginning a renovation which will update all of their rooms. Parallel is a great restaurant with good bartending, the lobby lounge more 'classic', but also very nice. Great place to see and be seen. I really like the location of the hotel, although up on top of the hill. My suite was quite spacious, one and one half baths and a big living room separated from the bedroom with doors. I did not stay club level here so cannot report on that.

In the process, I have earned the free night at a category 1 - 3 RC, which we intend to use at Laguna Niguel (Level 3) later this year. The certificates, apparently, expire in 6 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.