Reload this Page >

Trip report: Amanpuri and Trisara, Phuket, Thalland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report: Amanpuri and Trisara, Phuket, Thalland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 5:31 am

Great post, Musken. You did not mention the Thai boxing lessons at Trisara that your husband and son had. How was this? (I was right behind you, hence the question!).

As for Aman beds - you MUST always ask for a mattress topper whenever you go to an Aman (apart from Sveti Stefan island where they have Coco-Mat beds). Our beds were always really comfortable (because we have mattress toppers).

Heard that Trisara will be re-fashioning its spa soon - I agree that it needs refreshing. Great treatments though.

Glad you enjoyed both resorts. I, too, like to stay at both.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 7:15 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Ericka
Ahhhhh! Well, I have a very nice collection of these in a rainbow of colors. Some paid for, some not. Still gonna have to make it to Amanpuri though.
These Amanjunkie T- shirts are NOT for sale.
So those of you have not gone " home ", it's about time.. Ericka included!
The GMs miss you.

If you possess one & it gets worn out , the Aman property you received it from, will give you a new one. Guess, if we get fatter or go down a size, we can request our new size too
Baby boomers , Amanjunkies, remain hopeful of looking the same now as when we first homed in on Amanpuri in 1988/89
Old Mar 25, 2011, 7:24 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Great post, Musken. You did not mention the Thai boxing lessons at Trisara that your husband and son had. How was this? (I was right behind you, hence the question!).

As for Aman beds - you MUST always ask for a mattress topper whenever you go to an Aman (apart from Sveti Stefan island where they have Coco-Mat beds). Our beds were always really comfortable (because we have mattress toppers).

Heard that Trisara will be re-fashioning its spa soon - I agree that it needs refreshing. Great treatments though.

Glad you enjoyed both resorts. I, too, like to stay at both.
Hey! You heard about us! What more did they tell you?

Husband and son loved the Thai boxing classes (mentioned it briefly under the Children heading). It was fun and great training even for beginners like the two of them and really something equally suitable for adults and kids. I was up there watching them and taking pictures onces and it looked like something I could even like to try out myself once. The instructor was really very nice as well and was able to give lessons which were equally enjoyable for father and son, who had 3 lessons together. Ended up buying the equipment for some fun at home too + a nice memory from our holidays. Hopefully I do not have to be afraid that my son will put on boxing equipment when he gets angry at me.

I think we actually did have the mattress topper at Puri (at least I asked for it before arrival), but no bed, not even the Trisara one, is as good and soft as I like them. The FS beds are the best, second for me will be the bed at Soho Hotel in London, but nothing is as good as my bed at home. Looking forward to trying the beds at Sveti Stefan this summer.

A re-fashioning of the spa at Trisara sounds like a very good idea. I think they could be able to get a big improvements to the general ambience with relatively small changes. Looking forward to seeing this some time. I, too, was very happy with the treatments as said. Massage was wonderful and my skin reacted much better to Sodashi this time, but I am still keeping my Dermalogica products for at home. At least for another while.

Last edited by Musken; Mar 25, 2011 at 7:40 am
Old Mar 25, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by musken
hey! You heard about us! What more did they tell you?

husband and son loved the thai boxing classes (mentioned it briefly under the children heading). It was fun and great training even for beginners like the two of them and really something equally suitable for adults and kids. I was up there watching them and taking pictures onces and it looked like something i could even like to try out myself once. The instructor was really very nice as well and was able to give lessons which were equally enjoyable for father and son, who had 3 lessons together. Ended up buying the equipment for some fun at home too + a nice memory from our holidays. Hopefully i do not have to be afraid that my son will put on boxing equipment when he gets angry at me.

i think we actually did have the mattress topper at puri (at least i asked for it before arrival), but no bed, not even the trisara one, is as good and soft as i like them. The fs beds are the best, second for me will be the bed at soho hotel in london, but nothing is as good as my bed at home. Looking forward to trying the beds at sveti stefan this summer.

A re-fashioning of the spa at trisara sounds like a very good idea. I think they could be able to get a big improvements to the general ambience with relatively small changes. Looking forward to seeing this some time. I, too, was very happy with the treatments as said. Massage was wonderful and my skin reacted much better to sodashi this time, but i am still keeping my dermalogica products for at home. At least for another while.
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Musken
Thanks a lot for all the nice compliments regarding my report. Makes it worth while to take the time to write it.
not just the best comparison, but the ONLY comparison. amazing detail. ^
Originally Posted by Musken
Hey! You heard about us! What more did they tell you?
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
i would only identify myself to staff or let posters here know my plans.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
I think those Amanjunkie t-shirts are only available at Puri which would explain why, 12 properties later, I still don't have one.
Well, there's one lovely Aman person I know of (and I don't mean Adrian Zecha) that is able to get you an Amanjunkie shirt shipped to your home even if you stay at an Aman other than Puri...but I guess you need to meet her in person...Just a hint: Go to Amanyara, you will find here there. And once you get one, they guarantee to always replace it if it ever gets worn out (as FlyerEC has mentioned already).
Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:28 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Musken, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Is this correct? There are two types of Amanjunkie t-shirts.
1) The original which just says Amanjunkie and is available at Puri
2) The property specific ones that are available at the other Amans. They look different from the normal t-shirts sold in the gift shop and are only available after visit number 2 to that specific property.

If this is correct, and Aman continues building more hotels, Mr. Ericka and I may never have an Amanjunkie t-shirt.

Sort of begs the question. If someone loves Amangani and visits there a few times a year but never goes to any other Aman in his lifetime, is he really an Amanjunkie? Or is he an Amanganijunkie? LOL
Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie

2) The property specific ones that are available at the other Amans. They look different from the normal t-shirts sold in the gift shop and are only available after visit number 2 to that specific property.

If this is correct, and Aman continues building more hotels, Mr. Ericka and I may never have an Amanjunkie t-shirt.

Sort of begs the question. If someone loves Amangani and visits there a few times a year but never goes to any other Aman in his lifetime, is he really an Amanjunkie? Or is he an Amanganijunkie? LOL
Just climbed into my closet. The white or black t-shirts are the real "Amanjunkie" ones (text on the front). The others from the gift shops are polo-shirts usually and sport the resort name on the front (left chest side - i.e. Amankila or Amanpulo). I have an additional black polo-shirt from Amanpulo with resort name in the neck area and "Amanjunkie" on the left chest side (which was given to me as a farewell gift if I recall correctly).
Old Mar 25, 2011, 5:13 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Amanjukies

1 & 2 : That is correct

Please just to return to one of your favourites, Ericka!
I sort of have the same problem too but have been to certain Amans multiple times.
Especially since they are opening many more with Turkey in July , etc...

Originally Posted by ngfan
Just climbed into my closet. The white or black t-shirts are the real "Amanjunkie" ones (text on the front). The others from the gift shops are polo-shirts usually and sport the resort name on the front (left chest side - i.e. Amankila or Amanpulo). I have an additional black polo-shirt from Amanpulo with resort name in the neck area and "Amanjunkie" on the left chest side (which was given to me as a farewell gift if I recall correctly).
For some Amans, you have the choice of having the T-shirts in black or white.

The text may be emblazoned on the back or front... or ? The text may also be in different colours of a particular property.
I usually use these T-shirts as my Aman uniform i.e. when staying at an Aman e.g. wear Amankila's Amanjunkie at Amanpuri, etc. Or at Trisara

If other Amanjunkies Flyers wear them , we can perhaps figure out who we are if we happen to stay at an Aman..
I do need a Flyertalk luggage tag - have not worked hard at spotting them in lounges or inflight
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so i could get amanjunkie t shirt during first stay at puri?

and i could not get an amanjunkie t shirt during first stay at kila/dari/usa?

(i dont do polos.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm
Old Mar 26, 2011, 1:04 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

It was our first Puri stay and we got them. White for me black for husband and white with Amanpuri junior on for son.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:48 am

Programs: thy miles and smiles, lufthansa miles and more
Thank you for the great report Musken. I made reservations for my parents' anniversary for the beginning of april (4 days garden pool pavillion Amanpuri, 4 days ocean view villa Trisara) and they were so excited but beginning of the week I had to cancel due to my father's health problems. I have sent him your report which I hope will quicken his recovery and I hope they can do it before the rainy season. I, myself, also looking forward to a trip to Trisara with the kids after reading all the good reports here. By the way has anyone stayed in the new pool pavillions at Amanpuri?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: thy miles and smiles, lufthansa miles and more
Originally Posted by ngfan
When we visited Amanpuri the first time, we asked for an amanjunkie t-shirt for our son who was 14 months old then. The ast. GM kindly explained to us that the Amanjunkie t-shirts are only for returning guests but she ended up giving one to him (white and the embroidery was pink, because they ran out of blue) At Amandari we thought we would get them since we were returning guests but they told us we should be returning to the same resort but they gave us anyway. Actually they gave one to all of us although it was my parents and my sister's first time in an aman. (white/ embroidery green, amandari on the front amanjunkie at the back if I remember correctly, I will check We moved on to Amankila and at check out we got them again and this time without asking (white/ embroidery blue). When we returned back to Amanpuri last summer finally we got our real Amanjunkie T-shirts (white for women, black for men. Again they gave one to everyone in our group, although it was their first time But in my opinion the nicest ones are the black polo ones of Amanpulo that they gave my sister and her husband on their honeymoon there.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:49 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pinpin
Thank you for the great report Musken. I made reservations for my parents' anniversary for the beginning of april (4 days garden pool pavillion Amanpuri, 4 days ocean view villa Trisara) and they were so excited but beginning of the week I had to cancel due to my father's health problems. I have sent him your report which I hope will quicken his recovery and I hope they can do it before the rainy season. I, myself, also looking forward to a trip to Trisara with the kids after reading all the good reports here. By the way has anyone stayed in the new pool pavillions at Amanpuri?
All the best to your farther. I do not think that something I have ever written has been used to stimulate recovery before. Hope it helps.

Regarding rainy seasons, it might already have started this year... Vuittons talked about extreme weather many places in Thailand this year. As discussed in another thread, we had quite a lot of rain during our visit (two first weeks of March). Still no problem, we got great suntans and could do whatever we wanted in terms of activitites, but we had some rain almost every day. Made me think that I will not be afraid of visiting in the rainy season some time, since the rain did not disturb me (and in rainy season there is the great low season rates as well).

Think vuittons stayed in pool favillions at Amanpuri when she visited.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so puri white/black t shirts are only ones that say "amanjunkie" on the front and dont have resort name? and its only white for women and black for men?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 26, 2011 at 8:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.