Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Who Are These Particular Four Seasons Customers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Just returned from a very inexpensive (by Four Seasons pricing) property. I'll be honest, it seems on this board where we gather points and discounts it's ok to ask this question: if you are staying at a property that charges $300-$500 a night, and do not mind spending an extra $200-$300 for a 'day" in a shaded cabana, why are you not:

A. vacationing at your own home at your own pool?

B. vacationing at a higher end $600-$700 a night casita-type property in the area?

If this sounds like anyone on this board, I would just be curious as to the answer. Maybe it does not apply. I guess I wonder why choose the less expensive property and pay up for the privacy, when you can start at a more private property to begin with?

Really, just curious, we had a lovely time and did what we wanted, but could not help but wonder at the possible motivation of people who would pay top dollar for a little shaded hut. (Yes- to stay away from riff raff like us is an answer I have already anticipated).

Thanks for playing along, if you care to.

Last edited by uprightposition; Jul 6, 2010 at 9:37 am Reason: because "would" has only one "o."
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by uprightposition
Just returned from a very inexpensive (by Four Seasons pricing) property. I'll be honest, it seems on this board where we gather points and discounts it's ok to ask this question: if you are staying at a property that charges $300-$500 a night, and do not mind spending an extra $200-$300 for a 'day" in a shaded cabana, why are you not:

B. vacationing at a higher end $600-$700 a night casita-type property in the area?

If this sounds like anyone on this board, I would just be curious as to the answer. Maybe it does not apply. I guess I wonder why choose the less expensive property and pay up for the privacy, when you can start at a more private property to begin with?

Really, just curious, we had a lovely time and did what we wanted, but could not help but wonder at the possible motivation of people who would pay top dollar for a little shaded hut. (Yes- to stay away from riff raff like us is an answer I have already anticipated).

I'm not going to speak for the other people on this board, but I can share my opinion. I enjoy staying at high end properties and don't mind spending $1,000+ per night on a truly world-class property. However, I absolutely despise being nickled and dimed.

I once stayed at Mandarin Oriental Kahala and paid nearly $1,200 for a 1BR suite. I was floored that they wanted $75 more for a shaded beach lounger. Incidentally, prices have since gone up since the resort dropped the Mandarin Oriental brand, and they STILL charge extra for shaded beach lounges.

FS Hualalai on the other hand, is a vastly superior property and does not charge for shaded beach lounges. They have a few semi-private "cabanas", but I don't know if those cost extra or not.

On the other end of the spectrum is Vegas. Nearly all hotels from the 3 star Tropicana up to the 5-star Wynncore have elaborate pools, and they all charge for cabanas. At a place like Wynn, I don't really mind the concept of paying extra for a cabana since the room rates are very reasonable by 5-star standards. However, the cabana prices are insane! You can actually get a second hotel room for almost the same money. I actually think it would make more sense to have cabana privileges extended to people staying in the more expensive suites.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seriously...?

what FS are you talking about...?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 6, 2010 at 10:34 am
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:12 am

I have never paid for a cabana - complete waste of time. It will be interesting to see if FS charge for their cabanas on the beach when they re-open Four Seasons Excelsior on the Venice Lido. Ciga used to charge rather a lot. Best advice of course is to stay at an Amanresort. Problem solved.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:14 am
Original Poster

trojanman- You have addressed the exact thing I wondered, thanks for your thoughts! ITA about Vegas, because it's crowded and they need to manage those perks in some way, and I agree that the higher the room rate the more amenities you should have. (We have never even liked the shallow sctratchy sand at Kahala, and the aromatic dolphin pool.) @$1,200 anight I think they could have spared you the cabana!

It's funny, because in other beachy locales (Miami) even though it's not a real beach, the MO is generous with their special sand sofas or whatever those were.

K- Westlake Village, CA. Did not know what to make of the link- is that a review thread? happy to fill one out.

And just want to be clear, this is totally a question, not a complaint. We had a great weekend, but the pool was crowded (waitlist for chairs!) and they were pushing the cabanas.

(And people bought!) (Not us!)

vuitton- ITA!

Thanks to you all for responding.

Last edited by uprightposition; Jul 6, 2010 at 10:19 am Reason: thanking everyone for responding.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:23 am
Original Poster

I Forgot to Add

Several years ago there was a Four Seasons in a shopping center in Irvine (another weird location), but their pool cabanas which were exactly the same as these (TV's, shade, fans), were abundant and complementary.

IIRC this property was also very low on the price scale, but the pool area was inviting.

(Work related stay so can't be sure of the rate).
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

should have done this not other link
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ury-hotel.html

a higher end $600-$700 a night casita-type property in the area
= what near FS westlake?

note FS westlake has the California Health & Longevity Institute
and seems like outdoor pool with cabanas is part of that/FS spa, so there is public access >
http://www.fourseasons.com/westlakevillage/spa/
Outdoor cabanas
In the landscaped garden, you can lounge beside the heated outdoor swimming pool or relax in one of 10 poolside cabanas, each furnished with lounge chairs, a flat-screen television and a private bar. Amenities include fresh fruit, fruit-infused water, mixed nuts, games, personal music players and reading material. Two private cabanas, each with a plunge pool, are available for couples’ spa treatments. Cabanas are available for rental in half-day and full-day increments. Please enquire at the Spa for details.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 6, 2010 at 3:57 pm
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:45 am
Original Poster

K- Nearby? All the FS in Los Angeles (we made it to LAX in about 35 minutes), all the other luxury brands in LA, Santa Barbara is about 40 minutes in the other direction and all the FS there as well as other brands...
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:25 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
OP: Out of curiosity, which FS property are you referring to?

Speaking to your question, we are very much cabana people. Well, my wife is really, and she's the boss. The reason: she sunburns easily and thus wants shade. Still, she does not like to feel secluded or isolated at hotels, as she finds that to be creepy and boring. (E.g., we were often the only people at the family pool at the St. Regis Punta Mita last year, and she did not like it.) In other words, she likes to use and enjoy the main pool while seeing other people around, yet she wants to be under shade for the majority of that time as she reads her books and magazines. Thus, an ultra-high-end resort might not be to our liking.

As for the Four Seasons, we have stayed at (and very much enjoyed) the FS Maui and Hualalai, neither of which charges for basic cabanas by the pools. This seems to be a happy medium for us -- nice hotel, not isolating, and free cabanas which we take full advantage of.

Now, we would not pay $200-$300 for a cabana. If that's what a place were charging, we probably wouldn't stay there on a pool vacation to begin with, FS or otherwise.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

nnn- That's a good point. At this hotel (FS Westlake Village), there was definitely a lot of socializing at the adult pool (really crammed in pool deck arrangement) and the umbrellas were not doing the shade job...but hadn't realized/ acknowledged the social factor at all. Maybe that's the answer, after all.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was just at the FS Westlake and indeed they do charge for most of the cabanas but they had one with a dining table in it and informed us that it was a "free cabana" if we were going to lunch there, so we used that. This was at the Spa pool.

The pool area at the Spa is nothing special, but it was very quiet, no need for a cabana.

For many reasons, I am not overwhelmed by this hotel.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Part of my being on vacation is not worrying about how much things cost...so if I am staying at a hotel and I want a cabana, then I get one. At Wynn, the cabana has misters, shade, TV, a place to eat and reserved loungers so that's well worth it for me. I tend to get bored by the pool if there isn't something else to do... like watching the playoff round of the US Open a few years back sitting in a cabana at Wynn Tower Suites pool. That was a good memory...

I haven't been to FS Westlake but it sounds like a lower quality FS. No cabana needed at FS Costa Rica as we had our own plunge pool
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
I do business with some guys who live in Calabasas which is near this property. Their wives think nothing of getting a cabana for a day, ordering room service food and drinks, having a massage and a facial with their friends, even getting a room for a few hours so they don't have to change at the spa and picking up a $2000 tab for the day. They have beautiful pools and houses with staff but it is a day out for these women - away from the kids (the outdoor pool is adults only, I believe). The FS at Westlake Village is somewhat of a scene for these people - scene and be seen.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
FS Westlake Village has the same ownership as FS Manele Bay and FS Lodge at Koele. Part of the agreement whereby FS took over management of the two Lana'i properties was that they had to take on Westlake Village as well. That's the [only] reason it because a Four Seasons.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by DavidO
FS Westlake Village has the same ownership as FS Manele Bay and FS Lodge at Koele. Part of the agreement whereby FS took over management of the two Lana'i properties was that they had to take on Westlake Village as well. That's the [only] reason it because a Four Seasons.
I just realized the Dole connection....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.