Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Where to stay in Rio De Janeiro?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Makanmata

Originally Posted by Makanmata
none of these projects are in either Leblon or Ipanema, and the Gloria Palace...on the other side of town (half an hour without any traffic, an hour and a half with) from the beaches where most visitors will want to be
Originally Posted by C010T3
You're profoundly misguided. Glória is 10 minutes away from the oceanic beaches without traffic and 30 minutes with traffic.
as you quoted yourself - "where most visitors will want to be" = the south beaches, not the park
[edit - park beach obviously]
Makanmata also specifically mentioned "Leblon or Ipanema" shortly before that

30 vs 10
90 vs 30

That does not change what I said. You're the only one writing about the park.
park beach

from gloria palace hotel hotel to copacabana palace >
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ru...=h&mra=ls&z=14
Praia do Flamengo 6.1 km, 12 mins
R. Pinheiro Machado 7.8 km, 18 mins
what google says for no traffic on those 2 routes

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ho...us&mra=ls&z=13
google says 20/22 min for caesar park in ipanema

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ho...us&mra=ls&z=13
google says 21 min for marina all suites in leblon

You saying my experiences are not typical, but I am saying that your experiences do not correspond to reality.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 18, 2014 at 6:36 pm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
as you quoted yourself - "where most visitors will want to be" = the south beaches, not the park
That does not change what I said. You're the only one writing about the park.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Makanmata

30 vs 10
90 vs 30

edit - park beach obviously

from gloria palace hotel hotel to copacabana palace >
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ru...=h&mra=ls&z=14

what google says for no traffic on those 2 routes
and thats not ipanema / leblon
You decided to change your original post in order to respond to mine which was written after your original one. You also decided to challenge 10 minutes with 12.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:26 pm

You're profoundly misguided. Glória is 10 minutes away from the oceanic beaches without traffic and 30 minutes with traffic.
You are correct, but only if you are fortunate enough to travel by helicopter. For most everybody else, I do not think your experiences are typical. I can only tell those looking to visit Rio about my experience traveling this route by automobile regularly.

Gloria is a lovely neighborhood, and very convenient for those focused on business meetings in Centro. But for those looking to concentrate their time in Leblon or Ipanema, as I think most on this forum will be, staying there would likely be a frustrating experience spending a lot of time sitting in traffic. Many on this board whom have stayed at the Santa Teresa Hotel, which is just up the hill from Gloria, have reported such frustrations in getting to Ipanema and Leblon. I'm not interested in arguing with anybody -- as your tone with Kage and I seems to invite -- so I have simply shared my experiences, and I'll leave them for whatever they are worth to others.

Last edited by Makanmata; Aug 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm Reason: Poor Spelling
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Makanmata
You are correct, but only if you are fortunate enough to travel by helicopter. For most everybody else, I do not think your experiences are typical. I can only tell those looking to visit Rio about my experience traveling this route by automobile regularly.
Well, being sarcastic does not bring us very far. You saying my experiences are not typical, but I am saying that your experiences do not correspond to reality.

I never said that Glória is convenient for people wanting to hang out in Leblon, but you are propagating information that distort the reality for people that are planning their stays in the city. I don't think it is fair that will plan 90 minutes to reach Ipanema on a Friday evening, when they need only a fraction of that. Let alone if they use the subway, which is possibility in Glória, but not in Santa Teresa.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Any updates on the luxury hotel scene Rio since I am sure there has been some nice renovations for the WC? We are looking to spend a week unwinding in April and it will be our 3rd visit.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:18 am

You have two choices: the Fasano or the Copacabana Palace. That's it.

The hotel scene in Rio remains woefully inadequate.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG PLAT, ALASKA MVPGOLD
Fasano vs Copocabana

Has anyone stayed at the Copocabana post renovation? I'm currently booked at the Fasano but keep reading the Copocabana Palace is an iconic hotel so wondering if I made the right decision.

Is the Fasano in a safer neighborhood? I booked it under the impression it was a luxrious modern hotel with easy access to the beach but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone try booking it through AMEX FHR or Virtuoso and get an upgrade?

Also, if anyone feels strongly about another luxury hotel in the area, I'm all ears.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by DP81
Has anyone stayed at the Copocabana post renovation? I'm currently booked at the Fasano but keep reading the Copocabana Palace is an iconic hotel so wondering if I made the right decision.

Is the Fasano in a safer neighborhood? I booked it under the impression it was a luxrious modern hotel with easy access to the beach but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone try booking it through AMEX FHR or Virtuoso and get an upgrade?

Also, if anyone feels strongly about another luxury hotel in the area, I'm all ears.

Thanks for your thoughts!
While they are in different areas of the beach, I would say they are equal in "safety". Beach access is pretty much the same as you need to cross the street and they both have areas reserved for guests with attendants watching over you. The Fasano is a boutique hotel. Very hip. The Copacabana is a large, commercial hotel.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:11 am

I would recommend Hotel Fasano, more boutique as Speedbird001 mentions
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by flyr16
You have two choices: the Fasano or the Copacabana Palace. That's it.

The hotel scene in Rio remains woefully inadequate.
Is there any change in the hotel scene in Rio?
It seems a Grand Hyatt & a Trump hotel shall open before the Olympics but we've never been there so I have no idea whether the location is convenient or not.

Right now we are hesitating between the Fasano and a deluxe suite or penthouse suite at the Belmond Copacabana Palace. Which choice is the best?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:06 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Ipanema is far, far superior as a location to Copacabana if that is a factor. I had lunch at the CP restaurant and spent time at the pool there. It's nice. The pool and bar at the Fasano is very cool though - great at sunset.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:05 am

Your room will be more traditional at the Copacabana. I believe it may have been recently renovated. The Fasano as I have said is more of boutique and the furnishings are minimalist. Both have excellent food. BTW, there is nothing about Rio that I like except the food.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:14 pm

Stay at the Fasano - A much better location.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:22 pm

If anyone is to stay pre/post Olympics in Rio -- from what I gather, the brand-new Grand Hyatt Rio is true competition for Fasano and Copacabana Palace. One of the few Hyatts that can, apparently, be taken seriously -- even on a luxury hotel level. Here's hoping this is the next Palacio Duhau/Sydney/Saigon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.