Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Travel Agents - how are you handling the 2017 festive period?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:46 am
Original Poster

This hurricane season must be bringing a lot of stress and uncertainty not only
to the islands impacted but also to those who send guests to these destinations.
I am curious about how TAs are sorting this all out - are you seeking other
availability? Are people waiting it out? Canceling?

I am not asking for information on specific closures, penalties, etc. but
more about the process. Has dealing with this taken over your time? I was a travel agent decades ago and cannot remember a time when the Caribbean had
so much sadness and destruction on such a wide scale, smack up against
holiday bookings. The changes in hotel and cruise availability must
be difficult to keep up with and resolve. Just curious about it from the TA
point of view.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
It certainly is a sad and challenging time. The storms have been impacting current travel since Harvey in August, as well as trips for next year. They also impact our clients who are residents of places in the path of the hurricanes and who need to evacuate or who were traveling during the event and can't go home. Plus, people who were simply flying through airports in the path had to readjust plans. Of course, there are also advisors in all of these groups, not just clients.

It is a little too soon for many to rebook, because the storms are not done yet. Furthermore, insurance becomes a challenge when you have multiple named storms on the horizon. Fingers crossed, it looks quiet for now after Maria and Jose. We are doing what we can to get a jump on things.

I expect this loss of inventory will also impact pricing across the board going forward, especially during high season and school vacation weeks. People who may have done Caribbean land vacations may try a Caribbean cruise. A Caribbean cruiser may decide to finally try an Alaskan cruise. And so on. I would also anticipate an increase in insurance rates.

The Caribbean is near and dear to us with many industry friends, hoteliers, and staff who have lost something and some have lost everything - even their homes on island. We are heartbroken.

I will be donating $5 for every Caribbean booking through the end of 2018 to the Tourism Cares Caribbean Tourism Recovery Fund. I will also be doing something similar for Mexico, but I haven't yet had time to research charitable groups there. I know many other advisors will be doing the same.

Thank you for thinking of us
bhrubin and vuittonsofstyle like this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
It's a really tough one.

Obviously clients' safety and comfort comes first.

Many clients still want to go the Caribbean, but there are obviously still many questions whether some properties will be open / fully operational.

While attending an industry conference last week, there was one thing all the supplier kept repeating: "Your donations are much appreciated. But what's much more important is not abandoning the Caribbean. Hotels closing permanently, staff being laid off etc. is the worst thing that could happen."

Some clients have been booking multiple (refundable) trips (e.g. one to the Caribbean and one to Asia), and in some cases added a "cancel for any reason" insurance policy, or minimized their exposure by booking mileage tickets with minimal clx fees etc.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.