Wiki Posts
Search

hotel inquiry Tokyo and Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

hotel inquiry Tokyo and Kyoto

Hello we are heading to Japan in late August and debating our hotel choices -

we want a great hotel in a good area (like NY's West Village or Soho) where we don't ALWAYS need to jump on the metro. Looking at Conrad and Peninsula but open to suggestions.

as for Kyoto, we're looking at the Hyatt as an option unless it's really worth the splurge for the Four Seasons or Ritz. Comments welcome! Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't want to always jump on the metro then you don't want the Conrad, there is very little that you will do that is close by. There's not even that many food choices. The Pen is better but it's definitely not walking distance from an area that is even vaguely like NYC West Village or London/NYC Soho.

I quite like the Hyatt Kyoto but then I've never stayed in a room there lower than a second level suite, so can't comment on regular rooms.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

thanks for your input. maybe Conrad isn't the best choice then....I'll look into the Hyatt but we were hoping for something not so huge.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, travelesq
Have you considered staying in a Ryokan?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by travelesq
Hello we are heading to Japan in late August and debating our hotel choices -

we want a great hotel in a good area (like NY's West Village or Soho) where we don't ALWAYS need to jump on the metro. Looking at Conrad and Peninsula but open to suggestions.

as for Kyoto, we're looking at the Hyatt as an option unless it's really worth the splurge for the Four Seasons or Ritz. Comments welcome! Thanks.
The Hyatt Regency Kyoto is okay but RC and FS are on another level hardware wise. The HR Kyoto normal rooms are tiny but feasible since you're most likely going to be out most of the time there.

Last edited by Aventine; Jun 27, 2017 at 7:08 pm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
My favourite hotel in Tokyo is Andaz but staying there does necessitate taking the metro. We liked the Peninsula and if you're a Ginza type, it's ideal in location.

I enjoyed HR Kyoto and it's strong for a HR... I was first shown to a Standard King which was tiny and dark but the ground level Twin room overlooking the Zen garden was much lighter and felt spacious ! I think I will try FS next door next visit.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:58 am

For Tokyo, I have stayed at the PH, GH and the Conrad. Conrad is a beautiful hotel near a stunning park, but as RichardinSF said, its a bit far from everything and isn't well located for other activities. For that, the GH is in Roppongi, which isn't to everyone's tastes, but there are lost of metro stations nearby. The PH is my favorite of the three, but is about 10-15 minute walk to the station. From there, it's only a 1-3 stop ride to major activity areas.

For Kyoto, we stayed at the HR but did pop into the RC for a drink and to visit the bakery for some macrons. The RC hard product is stunning. An absolutely beautiful hotel, and service is probably incredible, as it was for us without staying.

The HR standard room is small, and spartan, which is sort of the Kyoto way. It is a very nice hotel with pretty good food options. Service here was always amazing, and they seem to be working extra hard as other major players are now in play for being the big name in town. Only downside to the HR versus every other hotel we stayed at in Japan is the tourist presence is much higher. It's much more accessible price wise than the luxury hotels in the same market.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:39 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
You may also consider the SPG Luxury Collection properties Prince Gallery Kioicho Tokyo and Suiran Kyoto. Both get rave reviews.

The Prince in Tokyo is often likened to a larger Aman, which is high praise, indeed; we will be staying there in May 2018.

The Suiran in Kyoto is a hybrid ryokan-Western boutique luxury hotel with only 39 rooms. As close to a ryokan stay as you may be able to get while still enjoying most luxury hotel amenities. It's in the outskirts of Kyoto near the famous Bamboo Forest. We will be staying there, as well...along with a few nights at the RC Kyoto. The RC Kyoto seems to be more of a proper luxury hotel but is also much larger...but is more central to Kyoto.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Shangri-la Tokyo has a 4 night virtuoso promo but its right next to Tokyo Station
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kzap
Shangri-la Tokyo has a 4 night virtuoso promo but its right next to Tokyo Station
They cheap out on their breakfast entrees (even for Virtuoso guests) but location is very walkable to Ginza, Yurakucho or Nihonbashi. Tokyo station also has a lot of decent restaurant and shopping options in there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.