Temporarily Impaired: Vacationing in New England

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temporarily Impaired: Vacationing in New England

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:03 pm
Original Member

September is peak foliage season st Manoir Hovey, thus lack of availability. We'll be there for a week mid-month.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by KatW
September is peak foliage season st Manoir Hovey, thus lack of availability. We'll be there for a week mid-month.
Thanks Kat, but I'm looking at a vacation later this month and into July. But I'd be interested to hear your feedback on Hovey.

Jen
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

Just wanted to give a big thank you to all who helped with my decision making process. I ended up booking (starting July 9th) 5 nights at Wentworth by the Sea, and 7 nights at Castle Hill (2 nights in a Harbor house, the remainder in a Beach Cottage). Had to push the vacation two weeks in order to avoid the 4th (no availability at all).

It was down to Castle Hill and Lake Placid Inn at the end. I choose Castle Hill (even though it was slightly more expensive) because, and not listed in any particular order:

1. Ocean Front
2. I could run (well, Uber or drive) into Newport if I want a diversion
3. The Portsmouth>Newport drive is about 90 minutes shorter, something I have to take into consideration when in a cast.
4. More restaurants onsite at Castle Hill
5. Lake Placid seemed like a better active vacation spot...meaning I could go there once I am healthy and enjoy the surroundings a bit more. Service also seemed better, but not by a mile (and I'm a pretty self sufficient traveler, usually)

The list of places I considered spanned (and nixed) included the list below. Please note, not all of them are luxury, but this list might help future travelers, so here goes:

Maine
-Tides Beach Club in Kennebunkport: small rooms, concerned about noise
-Migis Lodge: Just my style, but too my roughing it and remote on a broken ankle
-The Boathouse (Portland): Small rooms, noisy, no beach. Good restaurant
-Cape Arundel: Decent renovation, but food and service lacking
-Samoset Resort: A too big golf resort with a whiff of 1960 concrete cell block decor
-Whitehall: Been to Camden too many times to count, plus another historic property meets overly hip hotel makeover
-Inn by the Sea: Too middle of the road for a weeklong trip and somewhat isolated
-White Barn Inn: No waterfront, seems to have slowly sunk in quality lodgings, but the restaurant is still excellent

MA
-Blantyre: No waterfront, but great rooms and service
-Cranwell: Ditto
-Chatham Bars: Been there before, plus the Cape in summer, ugh
-Wauwinet and Wequasset: Questionable room quality and cleanliness for price. Too bad, too, as they occupy prime real estate
-White Elephant: Over budget, not on water, getting around Nantucket cobblestones on crutches, and summer crazy crowds
-The Christopher, Sydney and 21 Broad, Not on water. Plus, they were recently renovated and now just another super hip hotel, instead of being tastefully renovated and in keeping with MV/ACK history
-Ocean Edge: On water, but suffers from 1970 condo building craze. And food is not good. But the location is oh so perfect (quieter northern shores of Brewster on Cape Cod)
_-Everything in Provincetown: Just too crazy in the summer.
-
NY/NH
-The Point: Probably 1st choice as a property/service, but seemed crazy to spent this for a single
-Mirror Lake Inn in Lake Placid: Questionable room and service quality
-Mirabeau and Hidden Pond: No waterfront, good food, might be hard to get around crutches. On list for future trips.
-Whiteface Lodge: Not waterfront, rustic décor probably better suited for a skiing or hiking vacation
-White Pine Camp: Way too rustic for this trip. Might be in consideration for a future trip
-Porcupine Inn: Cool old B&B in Saranac Lake. On list for future trips.
-Mohunk Mountain House: Quirky Popular Victorian resort that seems to have seen better days. Might be worth a weekend road trop.
-The Sagamore: Sister to Lake Placid Lodge, seemed a bit rough around the edges (and too remote), but surrounded by water. On list for future weekend getaway
-Mountain View Grand (Northern NH): Always want to return here after stopping for a snack here during a bike trip. More of a 2/3 star resort, in line for a future trip
-The Hamptons: Ruled out as they were just too hard to get to

RI/CT
-Ocean House: Felt it would be better for me when I feel like being more presentable
-Weekapaug Inn: Probably my 2nd choice, but no availability. Only wish it was on the Ocean
-Watch Inn Hill: Had to shuttle to other properties for amenities
-Mayflower Grace: Property has undergone an ownership change, and quality seems to have gone downhill a bit)
-Winnivan: In the same bucket as Hidden Pond
-Madison Beach Hotel: Nice renovation, GREAT views. Not good food or service. But it's a Hilton, on a roadtrip itinerary somewhere in the future

VT/CAN
-Manoir Hovey: Limited availability, long drive with the ankle, and some concerns about remoteness and spotty commentary on room quality
-Pitcher Inn: Pretty Inn, but no waterfront and already spent years at a ski house in Warren
-Twin Farms: Not waterfront, but definitely on my list for a future strip
-Ormsby Hill and Equinox: Love Manchester and they are cute inn, but more of a weekend getaway places
-West Mountain Inn, Dorset House and Barrows House. LOVE them (did a bike trip thru Arlington/Dorset years ago). Want to go back for a weekend
tcl and Smiley90 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great post!

re castle hill >

one beach cottage is standalone, may be in category you booked

when i was there they had staff help with luggage, might confirm

re harbor houses (location) i would recommend asking re events
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=581c2...=2&form=S00027
they are right next to lawn, very close to inn, dedicated parking

at least in past they had some bar/lawn seating for guests only

its a drive from newport, and there can be traffic
could look at accessibility of their scheduled boat

agree not 'active' - decent land, but peninsula
(unless doing things like sea kayaking, sailing)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 29, 2017 at 8:41 am
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:24 am

Thanks for sharing your list navi_jen. I am trying to pick a place to stay for short stay in New England this July, so your research is very helpful! I came across another option that might be worth adding to the list: http://www.collectiveretreats.com/retreat/collective-hudson-valley/
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks Kage. I am here at Castle Hill now (after a less than impressive stay at the Wentworth). I was moved directly to a beach cottage for the week, though I don't have a standalone beach cottage (wish I did, my 'neighbor' is a bit clunky), but otherwise, enjoying the beach, the room and the food. Will probably venture into town on Monday on the boat (thank you for that suggestion) when it should hopefully be a bit quieter.

Katesy...thank you for that like on the Collective. Glamping is not normally my cup of tea, though it does sound intriguing.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good to hear, hope service is good. sorry to hear re wentworth and neighbor, perhaps neighbor will leave soon. you might ask re the one standalone (nautilus?) or beach houses, if any available maybe they would discount or give upgrade. although i was woken up by a seagull sitting on the vent/chimney of the gas fireplace.

how is accessibility of boat (might ask about newport dock) and the guest-only seating at outdoor bar ?

some properties in newport (including small/boutique) have pools/spas with day use.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 15, 2017 at 10:42 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:39 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We're heading to The Point for a first time visit at the end of the month. I'll do a mini trip report when we get back.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Hi All,

Just wanted to give a big thank you to all who helped with my decision making process. I ended up booking (starting July 9th) 5 nights at Wentworth by the Sea, and 7 nights at Castle Hill (2 nights in a Harbor house, the remainder in a Beach Cottage). Had to push the vacation two weeks in order to avoid the 4th (no availability at all).

It was down to Castle Hill and Lake Placid Inn at the end. I choose Castle Hill (even though it was slightly more expensive) because, and not listed in any particular order:

1. Ocean Front
2. I could run (well, Uber or drive) into Newport if I want a diversion
3. The Portsmouth>Newport drive is about 90 minutes shorter, something I have to take into consideration when in a cast.
4. More restaurants onsite at Castle Hill
5. Lake Placid seemed like a better active vacation spot...meaning I could go there once I am healthy and enjoy the surroundings a bit more. Service also seemed better, but not by a mile (and I'm a pretty self sufficient traveler, usually)

The list of places I considered spanned (and nixed) included the list below. Please note, not all of them are luxury, but this list might help future travelers, so here goes:

Maine
-Tides Beach Club in Kennebunkport: small rooms, concerned about noise
-Migis Lodge: Just my style, but too my roughing it and remote on a broken ankle
-The Boathouse (Portland): Small rooms, noisy, no beach. Good restaurant
-Cape Arundel: Decent renovation, but food and service lacking
-Samoset Resort: A too big golf resort with a whiff of 1960 concrete cell block decor
-Whitehall: Been to Camden too many times to count, plus another historic property meets overly hip hotel makeover
-Inn by the Sea: Too middle of the road for a weeklong trip and somewhat isolated
-White Barn Inn: No waterfront, seems to have slowly sunk in quality lodgings, but the restaurant is still excellent

MA
-Blantyre: No waterfront, but great rooms and service
-Cranwell: Ditto
-Chatham Bars: Been there before, plus the Cape in summer, ugh
-Wauwinet and Wequasset: Questionable room quality and cleanliness for price. Too bad, too, as they occupy prime real estate
-White Elephant: Over budget, not on water, getting around Nantucket cobblestones on crutches, and summer crazy crowds
-The Christopher, Sydney and 21 Broad, Not on water. Plus, they were recently renovated and now just another super hip hotel, instead of being tastefully renovated and in keeping with MV/ACK history
-Ocean Edge: On water, but suffers from 1970 condo building craze. And food is not good. But the location is oh so perfect (quieter northern shores of Brewster on Cape Cod)
_-Everything in Provincetown: Just too crazy in the summer.
-
NY/NH
-The Point: Probably 1st choice as a property/service, but seemed crazy to spent this for a single
-Mirror Lake Inn in Lake Placid: Questionable room and service quality
-Mirabeau and Hidden Pond: No waterfront, good food, might be hard to get around crutches. On list for future trips.
-Whiteface Lodge: Not waterfront, rustic décor probably better suited for a skiing or hiking vacation
-White Pine Camp: Way too rustic for this trip. Might be in consideration for a future trip
-Porcupine Inn: Cool old B&B in Saranac Lake. On list for future trips.
-Mohunk Mountain House: Quirky Popular Victorian resort that seems to have seen better days. Might be worth a weekend road trop.
-The Sagamore: Sister to Lake Placid Lodge, seemed a bit rough around the edges (and too remote), but surrounded by water. On list for future weekend getaway
-Mountain View Grand (Northern NH): Always want to return here after stopping for a snack here during a bike trip. More of a 2/3 star resort, in line for a future trip
-The Hamptons: Ruled out as they were just too hard to get to

RI/CT
-Ocean House: Felt it would be better for me when I feel like being more presentable
-Weekapaug Inn: Probably my 2nd choice, but no availability. Only wish it was on the Ocean
-Watch Inn Hill: Had to shuttle to other properties for amenities
-Mayflower Grace: Property has undergone an ownership change, and quality seems to have gone downhill a bit)
-Winnivan: In the same bucket as Hidden Pond
-Madison Beach Hotel: Nice renovation, GREAT views. Not good food or service. But it's a Hilton, on a roadtrip itinerary somewhere in the future

VT/CAN
-Manoir Hovey: Limited availability, long drive with the ankle, and some concerns about remoteness and spotty commentary on room quality
-Pitcher Inn: Pretty Inn, but no waterfront and already spent years at a ski house in Warren
-Twin Farms: Not waterfront, but definitely on my list for a future strip
-Ormsby Hill and Equinox: Love Manchester and they are cute inn, but more of a weekend getaway places
-West Mountain Inn, Dorset House and Barrows House. LOVE them (did a bike trip thru Arlington/Dorset years ago). Want to go back for a weekend
I hope this is okay but I just want to highlight this point as being SUPERBLY useful! I am awaiting my second vaccine shot and as soon as the 2-week period after that has worn off, my partner and me are OUTTA HERE for a couple days off. This has been INCREDIBLY helpful in taking a look at what's available in the area! I think the only "downside" of this list is that a lot of them are more resort-style, while optimally we'd look for something more lodge-y (think Fairmont Jasper) so we can relax within/near the comfort of our own cabin maskless and not have to worry about shared spaces. Those in-the-know, has anything cropped up recently/changed that might be worth for me to take a look at? Any input appreciated! We're Boston-based, so pretty flexible as far as driving goes. Trying to keep it ~500/night, like OP, which is somewhat limiting, I'm aware. (and VRBO/AirBnB is just always such a gamble...). My personal favourite at the moment is probably the private cabins at Lake Placid Lodge.

The other list we're consulting is: https://www.travelandleisure.com/wor...s-in-northeast which has some very pretty places as well.

Last edited by Smiley90; Apr 5, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:35 pm

Mirabeau has opened in Rhinebeck NY. Unfortunately FDR Home and Library in Hyde Park are still closed as is the Vanderbilt Mansion.
Troutbeck in Amelia is an option also, although there is not much to do in the area.
I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Twin Farms and you would get your own cabin there.
I have heard that Lake Placid has been very crowded lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.