Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

9 nights with young family - Thailand, Cambodia, Burma?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I will be travelling with my brood (2 adults, 4 children (8, 6, 4 & 6 months) to Bangkok for 9 nights at the end of July/beginning August.

Fundamentally I'm not sure if we should do Thailand, Cambodia or Burma - or a mix. They are an adventurous lot and tend to get bored with resorts. Equally however too many additional flights are a bit tiresome.

Any advice on itineraries, places to stay etc would be very much appreciated.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:41 pm

Nine nights in total is not much time. The way I travel, that would be enough time for a short stay in Bangkok and a single resort stay somewhere. July/August is rainy season, but still it is very possible to have good weather in Southern Thailand.

You'll need to provide more information, and suggest some more concrete options for anyone to be able to give meaningful advice. The destination fora, guidebooks, and travel publications would be good places to get ideas.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:02 pm

At that age and with only 9 days - stay mostly put. no need to move around like crazy. July is hot and humid and the kids will only last for so long - even an adult (and I've lived there). Koh Samui is the usual beach place at that time. Many others areas are often not good at that time. Day trips from Bangkok would be an idea. Angkor is worth a look.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:16 pm

I agree, however Koh Samui is not necessarily the best option. Weather is somewhat unpredictable at that time anywhere in Thailand, but Phuket, Krabi etc... can have beautiful weather if you're lucky.

Availability is usually not a problem in the low season, so I would likely just reserve three or four nights in Bangkok and then make a last minute booking for a resort and flights depending on weather, rates, and other factors. But, I can see how someone might want to pre plan if less experienced/first time.

If the OP is looking for ideas, there are suggested Virtuoso itineraries (look under "tours" on virtuoso.com) in Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar. Everything can of course be customized.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 25, 2017 at 3:25 pm
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:00 am

Firstly it depends on where your coming from - will the children be jet lagged which could write off the first 2 or 3 days. In any case 9 days is not very long so I would limit your trip to just 2 properties - maybe 4 in say Bangkok then 5 either in a resort in maybe Koh Samui as suggested or Chang Mai or even Siem Reap for a bit of adventure - the older 2 will enjoy the temples etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.