Amantaka (and Amansara) questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amantaka (and Amansara) questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Slighty OT, but has anyone heard anything about the Rosewood LP opening? Is it still expected to open in 2017? Thoughts on the location?

Also, for others who have been to LP, how does the Belmond compare (if at all)
Jason Friedman is project managing the Rosewood resort in LP. Last time I heard, it was scheduled for end of this year, but you never know.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

I am trying to write comprehensive reviews of Amansara and Azerai LP but am getting frustrated. I evidently stepped away from my computer too long and the login "timed out" which meant I lost 2 hours' worth of work on the reviews. I am not a noob but feel like one. So the simple question is whether there is a way to save draft reviews using the "Review" tool (or otherwise)??? Or do I have to find a clear time and just type them up?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:27 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by eamus
I am trying to write comprehensive reviews of Amansara and Azerai LP but am getting frustrated. I evidently stepped away from my computer too long and the login "timed out" which meant I lost 2 hours' worth of work on the reviews. I am not a noob but feel like one. So the simple question is whether there is a way to save draft reviews using the "Review" tool (or otherwise)??? Or do I have to find a clear time and just type them up?
I think it does that!

Part of the reason I'm so far behind on my reviews is that I write them out, leave my computer, come back, try to hit 'post' and it just tells me I've logged out.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Just at Luang Prabang airport after a lovely stay at Amantaka... we booked the Mekong package which included several excursions, half board and a massage for two which was easily one of the best massages we've had travelling at spas across many continents.

One highlight was definitely the cooking class at an organic farm. Aman built two Salas there, one for the cooking and one equipped with a cooling fan and day bed to enjoy the meal.

The room was very well laid out with ridiculously good Air conditioning. This is a must in the 35 degree weather and beat even the AC at the PH Bangkok where we stayed prior to our flight to LPQ.

I was somewhat apprehensive about reports of failing service etc but these concerns were unfounded and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Amantaka. I think one has to keep in mind the locale as well as the fact that the "glory days" of the past are sometimes just that - they should likely stay in the past without necessarily being used as a barometer. Amans are still beautiful destinations that we are all fortunate to have a chance to visit.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by xray
Just at Luang Prabang airport after a lovely stay at Amantaka... we booked the Mekong package which included several excursions, half board and a massage for two which was easily one of the best massages we've had travelling at spas across many continents.

One highlight was definitely the cooking class at an organic farm. Aman built two Salas there, one for the cooking and one equipped with a cooling fan and day bed to enjoy the meal.

The room was very well laid out with ridiculously good Air conditioning. This is a must in the 35 degree weather and beat even the AC at the PH Bangkok where we stayed prior to our flight to LPQ.

I was somewhat apprehensive about reports of failing service etc but these concerns were unfounded and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Amantaka. I think one has to keep in mind the locale as well as the fact that the "glory days" of the past are sometimes just that - they should likely stay in the past without necessarily being used as a barometer. Amans are still beautiful destinations that we are all fortunate to have a chance to visit.
It helps when the GM is Donald Wong, who is ex-Aman, ex-The Siam, ex-Landmark MO (although he was in sales in those roles). He brings a certain elegance to the place and he has Aman DNA! His wife, Judie runs the Aman boutique.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:15 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

A year ago there was no Mr. Wong, so perhaps that's why our stay was a bit on the boring side.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:23 am

Yes, Donald Wong the GM was very welcoming and we had nice conversations with him. Also lovely and warm was the Resident Manager Ratih who we saw every day of our stay. This Aman was especially prompt with the cold towels as soon as you returned onto the property My husband and I joke that the appearance of cold towels wherever you are is one of the best attributes of Aman !

Anyhow, I just wanted to throw another data point in as there seemed to be some mixed feedback after Gary Tyson moved to Azerai (which also looked nice but not in the same league). The rooms there seemed too small for my liking.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:00 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Can you give a quick go or no go on Azerai?

Trying to decide if I should go next week. Intrigued by AZ and Gary behind it but want to know if it is even close to an Aman experience.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by A4K

Trying to decide if I should go next week. Intrigued by AZ and Gary behind it but want to know if it is even close to an Aman experience.
From a superficial point of view (as not having stayed there myself), the hard product looked lovely but rooms as I said are small. At the airport, there was a greeter who was standing next to the immigration desk (right next to my Aman rep). When we went on the excursion to Kwang Si, the Azerai van was next to ours and the experience seemed comparable.

I think it is likely decent value (as the price point is significantly lower...about 1/3 of the price) and I would say you will get more than 1/3 of the Aman experience. I will defer to others who have actually stayed there.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by A4K

Apart from the fact that there are no suites or really large rooms at Azerai, this is very much an Adrian Zecha experience, right down to gifts at turndown.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I draft offline and then copy and paste in.

Please i would love to hear about your experience.

Fdw
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re taka GM, gary left late oct 2015. not sure re livio ranza. donald wong arrived oct 2016.

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Jason Friedman is project managing the Rosewood
rosewood MD was at amanwana 2007-2010
(Dive/Cruise Manager, then Assistant GM)

I am trying to write comprehensive reviews of Amansara and Azerai LP
hope both were great!

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I draft offline and then copy and paste in.
unfortunately the only option. however, one can also "new review thread" then "reply with review" multiple times. not sure re editing after posting using review system.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 11, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.