Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Any options in Nashville, TN, other than the new 21C Museum Hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:48 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am planning to be in Nashville for 3 nights in August. Last time (some years back), I had a junior suite at the Loew's hotel. It was a dump, badly in need of renovation. Am not going back there unless things have changed.

So I was delighted at first to see that 21C Museum hotels was opening up in Nashville this month. But now my ardor is dampening. Here's why:

1. Why build a new luxury hotel in an area with reasonable real estate prices where the entry level "deluxe" room is 263 sq ft? Next level up, "luxury" is 333 sq ft. My minimum would have to be an entry-level suite at 596 sq ft.

2. There are no published discounts from rack, no soft opening prices, no FHR, no Virtuoso, no nothing. Their choice, of course, but annoying.

3. I hate valet parking, which is mandatory here at $36/night. The reservations agent wrote, "If you are concerned on time, you can always call down 10-15 minutes before needing your car...." The reason I get a rental car is so I don't have to plan ahead.

I know I am atypical in this forum in considering value as well as quality, but hopefully there is another alternative in Nashville. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:16 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The Hutton is LHW & Virtuoso and Hermitage is also Virtuoso.
I can't speak to the pros and cons of either or all
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I am a huge fan of the OMNI in Nashville. My favorite by far. Hermitage is nice, in a different way.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I like the Hermitage quite a bit and have heard good things about the Thompson which is a new entry on the scene.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Hermitage looks interesting, but it doesn't show up on the Virtuoso website, only the Hutton. Both are Amex FHR, so I did it that way.

It's interesting that the entry level room at the Hermitage is 490 sq ft @$390++ for my dates, almost double the size of the entry level room at the 21C museum hotel @$322++. There are also significant rate advantages for the Hermitage in other rate categories. Furthermore, FHR includes breakfast and a $100 F&B credit.

Do a few unspecified contemporary artworks in the room really add that much value? I have my own art collection in my bedroom at home so maybe have less of a need to see art in a hotel room when I travel!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 21, 2017 at 5:56 pm
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
If you do stay at the Hermitage be sure and have dinner at its restaurant the excellent Capitol Grill ( a Nashville original) which is certainly not to be confused with the chain of a similar name. They share nothing in common aside from the name. And for its worth the bathroom (just the mens) by the Oak Bar, the next room over from the restaurant, is often voted as one of the nicest/most unique in the country.

As a Nashville native I can only attest to the restaurant and bar, but I have heard good things about the hotel.

While not luxury the brand new Westin downtown (opened less than one year ago and was a completely new build) looks pretty nice. The rooftop bar has great views and it is in a great location for downtown nightlife and restaurants. Also a great location if you a going to an event at the convention center or at Bridgestone arena. The reviews show they still may have some service issues to work out though.

I would also highly recommend dinning at the Cat Bird Seat, or Husk. The best Steakhouse in town is Kayne Prime. Happy to help with any other recommendations.

https://www.mstreetnashville.com/kayne-prime/

https://thecatbirdseatrestaurant.tocktix.com/

http://husknashville.com/

http://www.capitolgrillenashville.com/

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...language=en_US

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Mar 21, 2017 at 8:32 pm
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Everything he/she just said!! Great recommendations. I really prefer the hard product of the OMNI much better than the Westin though.

The East Nashville food tour is quite fun, and I am not a tour person.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Hermitage looks interesting, but it doesn't show up on the Virtuoso website, only the Hutton. Both are Amex FHR, so I did it that way.
The Hermitage is definitely still in Virtuoso. Here is a link to their profile.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 22, 2017 at 11:41 am
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
The Hermitage is definitely still in Virtuoso. Here is a link to their profile.
Then the Virtuoso website needs work because the hotel was definitely available during the dates I just booked!

Thanks to 1readyset2go for the Nashville suggestions, will definitely take them into consideration.

I wrote to the 21C museum hotel reservations detailing my concerns and got a bland non-reply. Must be nice not to worry about getting business!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We had a nice stay at hermitage a few years ago and recently recommended it to friends who also enjoyed their stay. Our suite was huge and the hotel is very historic.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Then the Virtuoso website needs work because the hotel was definitely available during the dates I just booked!

Thanks to 1readyset2go for the Nashville suggestions, will definitely take them into consideration.

I wrote to the 21C museum hotel reservations detailing my concerns and got a bland non-reply. Must be nice not to worry about getting business!

Nashville has been setting records every month for the last 3 or so years for hotel occupancy and growth in the number of visitors. Sadly it seems the hotels know this. Good luck getting a room during Fan Fare or for any number of other big events within a hour of the city. The good news is there are a number of hotels under construction. The bad news is no real 5* that I know of are in that mix. I would love to see a 5 star property open, but off hand The only ones close to that level have been mentioned. This seems to be glaring hole in the city's hotel choices. I would love to hear your thoughts after your stay especially if you choose the Hermitage or 21c.

As a side note right next to new Westin is a brand new 33 story JW that is currently under construction currently set to open in the summer of 2018. I am always interested in meeting fellow FT if our schedules allow we should met up. Send me a PM if you want when it gets closer.

Oh and for some down home southern cooking, what we call a "meat and 3" restaurant, you can't do better than Arnold's (lunch only) and its downtown (technically it might be considered by some to be in "The Gulch" area) . Its a simple place with some seriously good country cooking.Get there early it gets packed quick.

http://www.arnoldscountrykitchen.com/

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ott-nashville/

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Mar 22, 2017 at 1:28 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
My daughter and son-in-law stayed at the Hermitage and enjoyed their stay. I can't explain why we haven't tried it yet.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:30 pm

Here is a bit of an update. I had lunch today at the Hutton Hotel in their 1808 Grille, which was fine, but not remarkable. We enjoyed our meal, but service was incredibly slow and we were literally the only table seated. It took forever for our food to come out. My food was not cooked properly to order either. I asked to see a couple of the rooms for you afterwards, as well as the fact I get asked a lot about where to stay here in general.

First off they are starting a renovation that will change the look some for the better. I got to see these newer rooms too that are not yet quite finished. Honestly I do not care for the new or old look. The old rooms do need an update and the newer look IS better, but they are still not my thing. I don't think the renovation will be done for months. They are too modern looking for me and too small. I guess if you like the W hotel its kind of that feel, but maybe not quite as well done though. The rooms are small and after seeing 4 of them I cannot recommend the Hutton. The lobby is just mediocre too if that matters. I expected more. Sorry hope this helps. Not 5 star and maybe only 4 at best.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:18 am

One option not mentioned is the 404 Hotel. In fair and full disclosure, it is owned by a friend of mine. His vision was a very private and luxurious space that would be appropriate for high profile visitors who appreciate a lower profile, which is not easily achieved at the downtown hotels. There are no real services on site (no spa, for example) but there is a concierge and the check in procedure is quick and easy. The associated restaurant, the 404 Kitchen, is one of the best in Nashville (chef Matt Bolus came from FIG, in Charleston). My friend owns that, too.

The hotel is right in The Gulch, which is a really terrific place for tourists, with tons of options.

For some reason FT will not allow me to convert the URL to a hyperlink, but here it is.

http://the404nashville.com/hotel/
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:02 am

I just finished a stay at the Thompson and must say, I prefer the Omni corner suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.