Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotel with surfing in the Western Hemisphere?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Looking for a luxury hotel in the Western Hemisphere that is on or very close (within say 20 minutes) to a beach with beginner surfing. My 7 year old is dying to learn, but I still want a nice vacation. I'm thinking something like the Legian in Bali, but closer to the US. Would any of the hotels in Punta Mita work? Mukul? Any of the nicer hotels in Costa Rica? Barbados? What would the best option in Hawaii or Southern California be? Any other places I am not thinking of that are warm? I have ruled out the places I know already - Cabo and Rincon (surfing too far from the hotels), Montauk (too cold and crowded). Thank you!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:24 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I think Amanera might be an option. They have some degree of surf but it might depend on the time of year. I'll let you know about May....

fdw
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:57 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

St. Regis, Punta Mita is a great spot with an easy reef and pretty much year around.

Avoid the Caribbean in general for surf. Places like Bali (or Tahiti, i.e. Teahoopoo) generally have more difficult reefs to deal with. The Maldives has several great spots, particularly COMO Maalifushi, but it would be tricky and you'll want to go during the summer and hope the swell isn't too large. Near Cabo there's an easy break called zippers (we spent a month at a condo there), and you can stay at the 0&0 but it'll be a little crowded.

Costa Rica obviously has great surf.... I did a surf trip there in high school but its away from the luxury places.

SoCal is a little chilly except in August and Sept, and you could look at a place called Bacara and there's a spot north called Refugio that's easy. But he'll need a wetsuit.

The south short of oahu is also a great choice.

I used to be a diehard avid surfer and have pretty much been to every break from Santa Cruz to san jose del cabo.

places like rincon are way, way too crowded with very good surfers. You need an easy, thin break.

My advice would be Punta Mita (the St. Regis, for sure) or some place on the southern shore of oahu.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:15 pm

Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay. Lots of surfing spots and world class waves (Mavericks) nearby. I believe RC concierge can arrange for surf lessons.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:22 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Troopers
Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay. Lots of surfing spots and world class waves (Mavericks) nearby. I believe RC concierge can arrange for surf lessons.
Water very cold but wet suits help, still I would say arduous for a child.

EDIT: Nevermind, that was just me projecting. Brrr.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:47 pm
DSI

Mavericks typically breaks during the winter, and you're talking enormous, 20' plus waves in shark infested and very cold water.

Go for warmer water with reasonable waves. It's a 7 year old.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
There are half a dozen properties on Maui that would fit the bill. Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton (maybe more than 20 min to beginner break), Montage, Andaz, Hotel Wailea, etc.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:22 pm

Mavericks is ludicrous for a 7 yo ... or a 22 yo who has never surfed.

DSI has given you some fantastic information. To piggyback, I'd just add: he's a first-timer - unless he's a natural, it's honestly not going to matter too much where you are.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great details!

Originally Posted by DSI
St. Regis, Punta Mita is a great spot with an easy reef and pretty much year around.
My advice would be Punta Mita (the St. Regis, for sure)
punta mita beachfront >
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pu...4d-105.5269376

st regis after 4th nt free
668 7 beachfront room (4 are 2 queen)
968 2 beachfront suite
1061 2 beachfront suite with jacuzzi
1793? 3 beachfront suite/villa with pool
2168? 1 2BR beachfront villa with pool
2543? 1 3BR beachfront villa with pool
one-category upgrade to villa was/is possible
has had 3rd nt free in past, not sure re last

FS after 3rd nt free
700 3 beachfront room
1400 2 beachfront suite with plunge pool
those rates actually down from past high

Originally Posted by ridefar
Ritz Carlton (maybe more than 20 min to beginner break), Montage
maui beach recommendations for surfing?
if hana, also travaasa there (ex hotel hana)
ssl-travaasa.scdn4.secure.raxcdn.com/pdf/Travaasa-Hana-Maui-Property-Map.pdf
montage (ex RC condos) is 1 mile from RC

andaz rents condos (buildings D C B, not sure re ground floor)
hawaiirevealed.com/resort-reviews/andaz-maui-at-wailea-resort/

edit - seems mauna kea may be winner in hawaii, has beachfront lawn rooms

re amanera beach, at the other end of beach is playagrandebeachclub.com

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 16, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My kids got their feet wet on the Big Island of Hawaii at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. Nice for beginning surfers and kayakers. Beautiful beach.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:24 am
DSI

Great thread. We have a six year old and I'm thinking about the same trip for him.

Actually, after thinking about it, the StRegis Punta Mita is more of a slow reef break. The St Regis has better surf than the FS.

I actually think I'd recommend Tamarindo in Costa Rica. There are several luxury hotels in Guanacaste. The water is very warm, the beach is very flat so the waves don't break as a shore break (you'll probably be there with him... so it'll be comfortable for you), they rent the softer plastic blue surfboards, no sharks.

Not sure what hotels are there. We stayed at the Westin which is about 15 minutes away, and I know that most people on FT have stayed at the big box hotels like the FS or the Westin. I might suggest something a little closer to the beach. Ocho Artisan Bungalows?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:11 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Just looked at my Amanera info. $75/hour for surf instruction. May take a lesson or two...

fdw
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
maui beach recommendations for surfing?
if hana, also travaasa there (ex hotel hana)
I am no surfer, only been 2-3 times, but I believe all the beginner breaks on Maui are on the south side. North side can feature wild surf that would be suitable for very experienced surfers only. A few pro competitions are held there--watching those might be cool in its own right, especially for a seven year old!

We just used the concierge or relied on a recommendation from a local to find an instructor. I can't remember names any more, sorry, but shouldn't be difficult to find a qualified instructor on Maui!

I don't know if there are any good surf spots near Hana, which is also harder to get to and has basically no eating/dining options other than the one or two hotels there. Yes, it is wildly beautiful, but I don't recommend people stay there unless they know exactly what they are getting into. Sorta like Pahoa on the big island that way...
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:18 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Excellent suggestions. As a beginner surfer living in SoCal, I can say any beginner surfer will find SoCal, Hawaiian islands (leeward sides), Mexico, and perhaps some spots in Costa Rica with plenty of luxury hotel options from which to choose. If you want warmer water, though, you probably should aim for Mexico (St Regis Punta Mita is an excellent suggestion) or Hawaii.

If you don't mind the cooler water in SoCal (even in Aug/Sept the water temp is in the low 70s), you have tons of great options like Pelican Hill, Montage, Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel, Monarch Beach Resort (former St. Regis) here in Orange County alone, the epicenter of SoCal surfing. Nice easy waves, lots of instructors, plenty of breaks, etc.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:23 pm
DSI

I've been to Newport maybe 100x times and there can be decent surf, but it'll still require a wetsuit and because the waves break closer to the shore rather than roll slowly because of a very slight slope from the beach to the ocean. Hunington all the more so. Other places in SoCal, like Sam Clemente, etc... tend to have breaks more oriented towards piers or sandbars and not the place I'd bring our son.

Tamarindo will be easier and even warmer than Punta Mita. A seven year old doesn't mind coldish water, but you will, so I'd avoid the wetsuits altogether and skip CA.

In short, the south shore of any Hawaiian Island (I have a lot of experience in Oahu) or Costa Rica. Both will make fantastic trips too since I doubt he'll be surfing 5 hours a day.

FDW: Good luck! Hope the surf is decent. If it's just a shore break I'd avoid taking the lesson... take a golf lesson. It's a phenomenal value there, actually!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.